Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have just finished installing my Pogo Alert+ speed camera detector in my Q5 and thought some of you may be interested. This is a useful procedure to provide permanent power for any device that utilises a 12v cigarette lighter socket type power supply.

This procedure is one I have used before on my S5 and is thanks to Warren on the A5OC forum. Fortunately the circuit identified in the procedure is the same for the Q5, at least on my spec vehicle.

Here is a link to the procedure - http://www.a5oc.com/...eed-camera.html

I have included a couple of pics of the install

photo.JPG

photo (1).JPG

Attachments

·
Banned
842 Posts
Nice Spike!

This is my next project after the LEDs although at the moment I still have a 6 month subscription left on my Tom Tom for speed cameras so going to carry on with that for the time being. Was thinking about one of the new generation of road angels but would interested on your thoughts on the pogo? What's the subscription cost?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a RoadPilot micro go which was good but fancied a change so went for the pogo.

For me size was the issue. I wanted the smallest unit available as many of the offerings are quite large. If you follow the link above you will see a posting from me showing the micro go install in my S5.

I picked up the pogo dirt cheap on eBay from a guy that only used it for 3 months and it came with extra 12 months subs. Not bad for £150 the lot. They retail at ~ £250 with 6 months subs then £50/ year thereafter.

The unit itself is good. It is very configurable allowing you to setup different alerts for varying hazards. It also has voice warnings. It has a few nice tricks such as the way it handles specs speed average cameras. On my Xmas trip to Norfolk I went through miles of road works covered by 8 spec cameras. The unit knows how many cameras are in the series and the distance. At one point I was stuck behind two lorries doing 40mph instead of the 50mph limit. The unit calculated that I was under the average so indicated the max speed I could go to 'catch up' with the average. I bet there were people I was overtaking saying look at that knob going over the limit, doesn't he know he'll get a ticket?!!!

Updates are easy, just plug into the PC and it updates in a few seconds. I looked at the road angel pro with the live updates but wasn't happy with the size of the unit as it was very deep, a bit like the early Tom toms. Size wouldn't be an issue if I just used it when needed and stored it in the glove box when not in use. I take the approach that the units should be active at all times hence permanently wired in. I therefore want something as discrete as possible that won't catch the eye of scallies ready to put a brick through your window to get to it.

I still have the RoadPilot micro go if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Looks good Spike - how did you get the cable down the side of the dash, did you just poke it down or did you have to remove some of the dash to get in there?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks good Spike - how did you get the cable down the side of the dash, did you just poke it down or did you have to remove some of the dash to get in there?
Only the fuse panel cover was removed. There was just enough of a gap to tease the cable between the dash and the post trim. The cable then went into the cavity behind the fuse panel where there is plenty of space to locate the 12v power socket and device PSU.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts