1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
I read another article on a similar point. I would agree that it won't take long for a car thief who happens to also be a computer wiz has a go at this...

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Hmmm legitimate academics.....
Fine say they are not safe, but don't provide codes. Audi will have to recall and fix the issue

·
Still Game
4,617 Posts
It beggars belief that an academic (paid by tax revenues?) is working on ways to bypass security systems. It is crazy that an injunction is required to stop him publicising these codes. No doubt he will circumvent the injunction by publishing in a.n.other country. I might complain to his employer at Birmingham University. I would suggest this research is not in our best interest and ask them to take appropriate sanctions against their employee.
Thanks to the Birmingham Fellowship I enjoy a small teaching load
Speaks volumes for his contribution at the University.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Well, given the time and a rack full of hadware required I'm not too worried...
It's still not really a worthwhile use of taxpayers money. The real risk is to things other than cars, touch credit cards and security access passes.

For CryptoMemory and CryptoRF, the attack has a time complexity of 252 cipher ticks; on a cluster of 50 2 GHz quad core machines, it takes about 5 days to execute the attack. Why not just work with the vendor if its for reaserch to do product improvements.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Noted - will keep an eye out for suspicious looking guys pushing racks of PC's around airport car parks...!

Reactions: Chopper

·
Still Game
4,617 Posts
If you search, you will find this "academic" has made a career from hacking into several secure systems. No doubt, he would argue he is doing a public service by exposing the weaknesses in these secure systems. I would make publishing of such material a criminal offence.

·
Banned
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If this IT professional did have a moral duty he would be going straight to the manufacturers in question and highlighting the loopholes and offering his skills to tighten the system, however its quite obvious what this guy is after.

To my limited knowledge he has had to reverse engineer some of the physical hardware hasn't he by physically dissecting the chips involved?

Now if only scientists spent such time on solving the worlds energy needs and food shortgages...

What a complete wanker in my eyes.

Reactions: José

·
Registered
289 Posts
He probably should be sacked but IMHO it's better to have him where somebody can see what he's doing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts