Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can the function that shuts down the Q5 engine when the drivers door is opened be overridden?

Not a handy function when you want to scrape of the ic from the glass when the engine is running.

I am aware that this is probably a security function, but surely it can be overridden!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
If you start the engine with door open....it doesn't stop when you get off the seat....

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
If you start the engine with door open....it doesn't stop when you get off the seat....
+1

Start engine with drivers door open. It will bing at you, just ignore it. Then shut door behind you, lock car (assuming you have advanced key) and retire for a cup of tea!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
101 Posts
Quite interesting that the configuration is different on these things in different markets. In my Swedish configured SQ5 I have for instance not this thing applied. Tried as late as today. I did start the engine with the door closed, drove away like normal, came to a stand still, opened the door and went out from the car with the engine still running.
Other things that is different is that the taillights are always ON independent of which light-mode that is engaged; LED DRL's only, led+xenons, etc.

·
Registered
469 Posts
My 2014 MY Q5, built November collected yesterday, does not do this. Is it maybe something one can set up via the MMI. Sounds like a total pain in the proverbial behind if you ask me and I'm glad mine either does not have it or has had it disabled before delivery to me.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I'm the same as cruicd. Start the car with door closed and walk away to my house with the engine running.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Im in the "engine stops when opening the door" camp. Doesn't bother me at all

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
I like the fact it shuts down on door open, one less button to press when getting out the car...

Reactions: Wilf

·
Registered
529 Posts
I like the fact it shuts down on door open, one less button to press when getting out the car...

Haha that's what I like and use it all the time, I just didn't want to admit to it as it sound a bit....... well you know

·
Registered
2 Posts
+1

Start engine with drivers door open. It will bing at you, just ignore it. Then shut door behind you, lock car (assuming you have advanced key) and retire for a cup of tea!

Tried this on my 2013 6 cyl. and it does not work. Motor cuts off as soon as I open door. It is a pain to whenever I stop to pick up mail or my newspaper as I leave the house.
Any more suggestions

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Tried this on my 2013 6 cyl. and it does not work. Motor cuts off as soon as I open door. It is a pain to whenever I stop to pick up mail or my newspaper as I leave the house.
Any more suggestions
The trick only works once, so for the leave the car running to warm up situation.

I have found once or twice it does not turn the engine off when you open the door, I am still searching for the pattern as to why tho... Will report back when I work it out. It's only done it if I have been in and out of the car quickly, so wandering of it is related to not putting your seatbelt on, or never getting out of Park...

·
Registered
289 Posts
Mine does not do this (build week 11 or 12 in 2013). I get in the car in the garage, start up and reverse out. Even if I don't disable autostop the engine keeps running when I get out of the car to shut the garage door (I normally leave the drivers door open while I do this). At all other times (normally with autostop disabled) I am able to open the drivers door and the engine keeps running. I don't have advanced key and mine is a petrol manual. I like to control when my engine starts and stops and dislike the car thinking it knows better.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
I think it might be an advanced key only thing...

·
Registered
503 Posts
I think it might be an advanced key only thing...
Mine cuts out if I open the door and I don't have advanced key, so maybe an auto transmission thing?

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Mine cuts out if I open the door and I don't have advanced key, so maybe an auto transmission thing?
Yep, could be that. Who knows!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Would make sense if it's an auto box as I know the car makes a lot more checks before it will let you even start the engine. By the same logic it probably stops the engine if any of the parameters it looks at when starting are not in an "acceptable" condition.

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
I can confirm, with an auto box the engine will stop if you start the car with door shut then open and it will start and continue to run if you start the car with the door open.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can confirm, with an auto box the engine will stop if you start the car with door shut then open and it will start and continue to run if you start the car with the door open.
Would love that mine does this... I did it once, but now engine shuts off no matter how I start with or witout door open. Been told by dealer that this function is only on 6 cyl engines with Auto/Stop

1 - 20 of 20 Posts