Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any idea of how long it takes to get a fixed build date after initial order? Order placed with dealer and he confirmed it's been accepted by Audi but he cant get a fixed date from them. Dealer just saying estimated delivery is now changed from end of June to possibly July/August.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
It's frustrating isn't it? You place an order for a vehicle and then the dealer can't give you a precise indication of when your car will go into production - the truth is that the production date is dependent on the availability of the components to build your car. What spec have your ordered? We know from other's recent experiences that ordering and Open-sky roof or Dynamic Steering adds an unknown time variable to the lead-time for example - dropping the options get's you a projected build-week.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing fancy just basic s-line plus, with options of folding mirrors, storage pack and interior light pack. Wasn't sure if the bigger dealers get preference like jumping the queue !!!. I'm ok to wait if I had an idea of build date.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Just over 4 months personally. Picked up last week after ordering 30th Nov. Happy waiting

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ordered an SlinePlus with loads of extras 3 weeks ago and was told last Friday that it was built last week. Originaly told delivery would be end of June but now been told mid April. Maybe the larger dealers do get preference. I ordered from Vindis.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
There is no preference for the dealers - it's sequenced by order date. Certain kinds of customers - big fleets for example can change order priorities but it doesn't make too much difference in overall time because the vehicles are in a build-to-order process. The motor manufacturers work on a zero-inventory line-side principle so the components and assemblies arrive at the track more less exactly when they are needed - all of those items are provided against call-off schedules from the suppliers. It's actually pretty difficult to queue jump any order in this kind of manufacturing - but car forums abound with conspiracy theories all the same.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think that all car manufacturers these days operate on a just in time production schedule where the parts do arrive as they are required to be fitted to the car. It's a very cost effective way of manufacturing. Availability of parts depends on many things, how many parts the car manufacturer has ordered against how many part the manufacturer of that particular part can actually make in a given period of time.
The majority of car parts manufacturers build parts for a variety of car manufacturers and there is only so much production to go around. Car manufacturing is quite volatile also and relies on who is buying what etc. it's not uncommon for even the likes of Toyota to have short time working at their manufacturing facilities. This volatility then means that parts suppliers do not have too much potential for over capacity hence why there will be only, for example, be so many panoramic roofs available in a given quarter and how long the customer has to therefore wait for their car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I ordered in January and was given build week 15.
My dealer has told me that it has moved forward to Build week 14 and that's this week, so I could potentially see it before the end of the month if I'm lucky.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Ordered the wife a SQ5 last thursday, she got build date on friday for BW23 which is the first week after MY14 starts so free DAB and we avoid the price increase.

Build date ONLY goes firm (no changes) 4 weeks before build. Scheduled build week should come through (from the factory AUK have no input to the date) quickly but the actually date depends on options ordered.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I ordered my car 2 weeks ago, dealer had a car on order for build week 16. The system allowed him to change the options without affecting the build date. Should see car in about 5 weeks time. Got a good deal, could of saved another £700 on the car by going through broker but I was being quoted late August by a few other dealers via broker.

·
Registered
202 Posts
mine goes into production next week - roll on may! ordered start of march
just sold my RS6 today - now running about in a Panda 100HP - slight change in power (471hp less to be exact) but hey its a fun wee car.

·
Banned
489 Posts
Week 25 is week commencing Monday 17th June

·
Registered
289 Posts
Build week 25 is week commencing 17th June. Your dealer needs to keep an eye on the status code for the build. When you first order the car you get a projected build week figure. At some point before they start the build this locks down into the production schedule and the status code changes. (I think it goes to status 20 but I could be wrong). As has been mentioned all sorts of things can affect the build date, parts supply of parts for the more unusual options being one of them. Basically the more bog standard the spec the more chance of the car being built on time or even a bit early. AFAIK there is no pecking order for dealers and orders are usually processed on a first come, first served basis.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts