Audi Q5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it just got cold here and I ran out this morning to start my car 10 mins before I needed to leave for work to give the defroster time to do its thing. I live in an apt complex so my Audi is easily accessible to everyone while it is warming up. I press the start button, key in my pocket, get out of the car, shut the door and press lock on my key fob...nothing. I open the door, press the lock button and get an error message "No Key". I run to my apt and get my spare key fob, turn off the car then restart it using the spare key fob, I get out of the car, shut the door, press lock on the other key fob, which I still have...nothing. Open the door, try to lock from inside the door...nothing.

Question is: does anyone know how I can lock my car while it is running so someone can't just jump in and drive away?

I never imagined something so simple would be so difficult. Thanks.

·
Registered
963 Posts
You do realise that if lt is stolen while the engine is running and you are not in charge the Insurance will not pay out!

Which is probably why Audi won't let you do it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You do realise that if lt is stolen while the engine is running and you are not in charge the Insurance will not pay out!

Which is probably why Audi won't let you do it!
Thanks for the legal ease but I still need to warm up my car. I am not in a high-theft area or major city, I just want to take the extra step to secure my car for the 5 mins while it is warming. Hopefully, I will have a garage in the next few mos.

Anyway, I figured it out today...start the car using the key fob in the ignition, then take out the metal key from the key fob and use it to lock the door.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks for the legal ease but I still need to warm up my car. I am not in a high-theft area or major city, I just want to take the extra step to secure my car for the 5 mins while it is warming. Hopefully, I will have a garage in the next few mos.

Anyway, I figured it out today...start the car using the key fob in the ignition, then take out the metal key from the key fob and use it to lock the door.
Well done , Tried your method out this morning. What a result sat and finished my tea while it was warming up without worrying that it was being nicked. Drove off nice and warm.
Happy Christmas. neil.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts