Audi Q5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I finally picked up my new car a week ago after an 11 month wait. Since then I have driven about 1300 miles to spain and the car has so far consumed 1.6 litres of oil. I know running the car in on long motorway journeys is not ideal, but the oil usage just seems excessive. Has anyone else had similar problems? Was your car delivered with one litre of oil in the boot. Are Audi aware that there is a problem? Any thoughts or recommendations on when it is time to take it to the nearest dealer would be appreciated. I will not be doing any motorway journeys in the near future and hope that the engine will settle in driving around town and short journeys. (Hope i am not being delusional)

·
Registered
963 Posts
It's quite normal.........diesel engine block on a new engine absorbs a fair bit. It should settle down.

Any one know what the oil level indicator should read when at the correct level? Ie. Not over filled

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have done 5000 in mine and the oil use is negligable, However I had a golf previously that used 5 litres over 10000 miles and about 3litres the following 10000.
Be very careful that you are not overfilling it or you will cause untold damage to the engine, blown seals etcetera. Make sure you follow thw checking proceures to the book.
Hope this helps
Regards Neil.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've done 5500 in mine and not had to top up yet. I did have an A4 Avant previously that was considerably thirstier - about one litre every 4000 miles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have booked the car into the dealer. After doing 100 miles today it needed another top up. That means over 1400 miles it has used 2 litres of oil. That can't be right!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Although not the TDI, my 2.0 TFSI used 1 litre of oil in 800 miles. The handbook does say that you will use this in the first 800 miles or so, I'm not convinced that this is OK and normal, but will just keep an eye on it regularly. I did ask the Service people at Audi, they said this was normal, however I didn't get a warm comforting feeling from him at all either. My 2.0TDI A3 used a litre in 2 years, and my A4 3.0 TDI didn't use any!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a quick update. I received the car back from the dealer after they investigated the fault. They have removed 1.5 litres of oil and have advised me to ignore any future low oil warnings. Apparently they know of one other car in Spain that has the exact same symptoms. It's an electronic fault that Audi Germany are looking into but as yet they have no solution. They advised me to come in when car has done 6000 miles to check the oil level and possibly fit a manual dipstick. They will also contact me as soon as they know a fix to this particular problem. I really hope the engine hasen't suffered any damage yet. At the moment the computer is saying reduce oil level. Overall this doesn't fill me with great confidence but at least it is a recorded problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello!

Same problem here,already posted this few days back.
We have since 3 weeks our TDI-2.0 Diesel 170HP.

This weekend (after +/- 1000 miles) during a trip the car wants us to add 1 liter of oil.
We stopped and added 0.5 liter.
next hour again the car wants us to add 1 liter of oil.
Filled it up again with 0.5 liter,and start the car again.
Then the MMI is saying we need to reduce the oil level.
The day after,after 80 miles the car again wants oil.
So very confusing,because when we check the oil level on the MMI,it shows reduce oil level.
We did not add extra oil.

Yesterday 10/11/2010 to Audi garage,they checked the oil level manual with special stick.
result,to much oil,they reduced 1 liter..
Now its fine,but it seems a software problem,and they dont have a solution yet.

Also wondering if this damaged the engine...anyone with knowledge???

·
Registered
963 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to fill up with one of the premium fuels, that have the additives, for a little while. Help to clean away any carbon deposits from the engine.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hello!

Same problem here,already posted this few days back.
We have since 3 weeks our TDI-2.0 Diesel 170HP.

This weekend (after +/- 1000 miles) during a trip the car wants us to add 1 liter of oil.
We stopped and added 0.5 liter.
next hour again the car wants us to add 1 liter of oil.
Filled it up again with 0.5 liter,and start the car again.
Then the MMI is saying we need to reduce the oil level.
The day after,after 80 miles the car again wants oil.
So very confusing,because when we check the oil level on the MMI,it shows reduce oil level.
We did not add extra oil.

Yesterday 10/11/2010 to Audi garage,they checked the oil level manual with special stick.
result,to much oil,they reduced 1 liter..
Now its fine,but it seems a software problem,and they dont have a solution yet.

Also wondering if this damaged the engine...anyone with knowledge???
Yes and my 170 tdi has done just over 4000 miles. I just checked oil level and 3/4 full but says oil level OK - so does this mean I need to put oil in or does it mean its okay ?? All rather confusing eh !!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts