Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting comments about HHA (which, for no good reason, I didn't order). Clarkson was reviewing a Golf GTI in Sunday Times Motoring yesterday and initially slagged off the DSG as he found it impossible to set off from the lights smoothly. Then he discovered the 'auto hold' button which had been fitted to stop the car from rolling backwards (as there's no 'creep' with DSG). He turned it off and found the 'problem' cured. Any similar stories with HHA on the Q5?

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
There is a very slight 'nudge' as you set off as the ABS releases the brakes - but barely noticeable. I would say 1 in 50 times you get a bigger 'nudge' than usual - it is usually after a big stop where you don't smoothly lift off the brake as you slow down - as there is tension in the drive train/brakes in this situation its not surprising you get a bit of a clunk as it pulls away.

I would suspect either the Golf has a problem - or Clarkson is being Clarkson and trying to find a fault where there is none.

·
Registered
877 Posts
How does HHA with a Tiptronic box differ from a non-HHA assist Tiptronic box. I admit to being confused by what it offers?

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
It doesn't differ at all.

All HHA does is gently hold the brakes on when you come to a stop - and releases them as you press the throttle. In a tiptronic it prevents creep, in s-tronic/manual it prevents rolling backwards.

NB - in my experience DSG/S-tronic does creep - not driven the very latest though so the newest may not?
I know BMW DCT box doesn't creep in the M3, but the same box does creep in the 135i... Just depends on the software load as to whether it is programmed to lift the clutch when you lift off the brake, or when you press the throttle.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
It's just one of those small things that help make driving the Q5 a nice experience.
Not a big thing at all, should be standard, but for only £65 its equally silly not to.

Reactions: rifleman

·
Registered
503 Posts
I haven't got HHA and mine definately creeps which is a godsend in slow moving traffic.

I've not yet had mine roll back on a hill either.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I have had one without and the current one with HHA. I will always specify it in future.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Does it automatically apply the brake when you stop and release when you pull off? If so it was fitted to my last car and I never used it unless in very slow moving town traffic to rest the old foot. Never had a car with auto roll back so they can't claim it prevents that!

·
Registered
877 Posts
One day I'll drive a vehicle with HHA and see how much it improves my experience. The fact that people are recommending it intrigues me although I can't see the benefit myself. As they say " You don't miss what you've never had".

·
Registered
700 Posts
Thats one way of looking at it Snowman, which id have ordered ADS then would have had no blank there ! HHA is a great option thou, glad i ticked it but as it was only 65 pound i thought why not and at that price it should have been standard ..always extra extra seems to be the way with all cars nowadays

·
Registered
877 Posts
Thats one way of looking at it Snowman, which id have ordered ADS then would have had no blank there ! HHA is a great option thou, glad i ticked it but as it was only 65 pound i thought why not and at that price it should have been standard ..always extra extra seems to be the way with all cars nowadays
It'll probably be standard in MY2015 lol

·
Registered
700 Posts
seems that way, its getting worse i think, you would have assume the SQ5 would have been based on the S-Line, but no ! i think they saw the amount of interest that down graded to SE model spec so we would all spend more on Gadgets, their not daft really they knew how much we were all waiting for the model to launch so we wernt going to pull out over a few extra's Quids in ....

·
Registered
877 Posts
seems that way, its getting worse i think, you would have assume the SQ5 would have been based on the S-Line, but no ! i think they saw the amount of interest that down graded to SE model spec so we would all spend more on Gadgets, their not daft really they knew how much we were all waiting for the model to launch so we wernt going to pull out over a few extra's Quids in ....
Yes agreed, an S-Line-esq spec would seem logical, as arguably the SQ5 is another trim level. To me it seems quite strange how car manufacturers/country importers specify their vehicles but I'm sure they know what they're doing for their business.

Has anyone compared SQ5 specs across European countries - do we know if they differ much or at all?

·
Banned
842 Posts
I guess this is something I've got to try in another car, I don't have HHA but find that the S-Tronic box has enough creep to make nearly all hills starts flawless.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I guess this is something I've got to try in another car, I don't have HHA but find that the S-Tronic box has enough creep to make nearly all hills starts flawless.
I suggest you find a really steep hill with nobody around. It's worth exploring the limits as it may get expensive (or painful) if it goes wrong. If you rely on the revs to catch it if you just press the throttle and allow the hand brake to release automatically then you may well roll backwards. In my case I estimate I rolled backwards about 3 or 4 feet.

I believe the technique without HHA should be to apply the footbrake before manually releasing the handbrake then press the throttle until you get the bite and pull away. Don't rely on the electronic handbrake if you do not have HHA.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I only ever use my handbrake when I park up.

When I am on a hill I hold on the brake pedal, then when I'm ready to pull away I release the foot brake, the car stays where it is then press the accelerator and off I go. I believe the ABS holds the car for about 2-3 seconds which gives you enough time to go from brake to accelerator (i can feel a slight grab when I pull away if its quite a steep slope)

The only time I have experienced any roll so far is backing out of my garage which is on a bit of a slope and it sometimes will roll forwards slightly. Maybe all the hills I have around my way aren't steep enough to experience roll back?

·
Banned
842 Posts
I suggest you find a really steep hill with nobody around. It's worth exploring the limits as it may get expensive (or painful) if it goes wrong. If you rely on the revs to catch it if you just press the throttle and allow the hand brake to release automatically then you may well roll backwards. In my case I estimate I rolled backwards about 3 or 4 feet.

I believe the technique without HHA should be to apply the footbrake before manually releasing the handbrake then press the throttle until you get the bite and pull away. Don't rely on the electronic handbrake if you do not have HHA.
Dont worry Ransman I use the handbrake on high inclines!

We have a few roundabouts on slight inclines near where I live so I creep forward with the flow of traffic rather than stopping and starting...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts