Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to say hi to everyone here and list a couple of problems on my Q5, which I will post in more detail in the relevant places after this...

Bought my 2 year old 3.0 TDI in May from an Audi dealer and although I am well impresed with the Q5, I cannot say the same about their service center or Audi UK either!

First problem was with a rattling panoramic sunroof (a common problem apparently), which they have now replaced to cure the rattle, but which now produces a loud clunk when closing the sun shade.

Secondly I also got a tow bar fitted (the neat fold away Audi one - same as factory fitted) just so I could mount a bike carrier to transport my mountain bikes.

Unfortunately the 3 bike carriers I have tried are just not level when mounted on the tow ball (almost 2 inches tilted down on the left)!!

I bought two bike carrriers (Atera + Thule) and even tried the Audi one. Audi UK were useless as they refused to accept there was a problem. Currently lodged a complaint with MotorCodes to see if they can get them to change their minds.

Thirdly, but not really a problem (yet!), I need advice on how to store my Q5 for a few months in my garage as I may have to go abroad for a while with work next year.

Once again the service center and especially Audi UK have impressed me with their ignorance!

Sorry to start life here with issues, but hopefully I may be able to help others who experience any similar problems in the future.

Dave.

ps After this post goes live I will create more detailed posts for the 3 topics above and link to them from here...

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
Welcome aboard

·
Registered
596 Posts
Just want to say hi to everyone here and list a couple of problems on my Q5, which I will post in more detail in the relevant places after this...

Bought my 2 year old 3.0 TDI in May from an Audi dealer and although I am well impresed with the Q5, I cannot say the same about their service center or Audi UK either!

First problem was with a rattling panoramic sunroof (a common problem apparently), which they have now replaced to cure the rattle, but which now produces a loud clunk when closing the sun shade.

Secondly I also got a tow bar fitted (the neat fold away Audi one - same as factory fitted) just so I could mount a bike carrier to transport my mountain bikes.

Unfortunately the 3 bike carriers I have tried are just not level when mounted on the tow ball (almost 2 inches tilted down on the left)!!

I bought two bike carrriers (Atera + Thule) and even tried the Audi one. Audi UK were useless as they refused to accept there was a problem. Currently lodged a complaint with MotorCodes to see if they can get them to change their minds.

Thirdly, but not really a problem (yet!), I need advice on how to store my Q5 for a few months in my garage as I may have to go abroad for a while with work next year.

Once again the service center and especially Audi UK have impressed me with their ignorance!

Sorry to start life here with issues, but hopefully I may be able to help others who experience any similar problems in the future.

Dave.

ps After this post goes live I will create more detailed posts for the 3 topics above and link to them from here...
Morning.
I have the FF tow bar and use an Atera Strada 3 bike carrier + additional bike extender. Both great bits of kit.
The tilt you refer to sounds as though the retro-fitted tow ball / bar hasn't been fitted correctly as there's no (side) adjustment function available / needed on the bike carrier unit.
IIWY I'd be going back to whoever fitted the tow bar...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the replies and welcomes guys....

@missile: The bikes don't have to be perfectly level of course, but I'd kinda like some symmetry - better than this anyway...

@Barbyboy: The problem seems to be related to the tow ball itself, which doesn't appear to be level - the tilt of the bike carrier is reflecting the tilt in the flat top of the ball !

Unfortunately no adjustment available on the bike carriers I fitted or the tow ball.

@Barbyboy: I'd be interested to know if your tow ball top is level - I expect it is?

The retrofit tow bar (and swing mechanism etc) comes as a single unit which just bolts on to the car - so the tow bar is probably fitted properly, but unfortunately it seems the tow ball has not been manufactured/put together correctly.

Currently still in arguments with the Audi service center that fitted the tow bar and Audi UK parts dept that supplied it - not looking good for a quick solution right now though...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok - can someone help with my ignorance and let me know how to add images?

Copy and paste seemed to work until I saved the post and then the images disappeared!

Thanks....

·
Registered
596 Posts
Thanks for the replies and welcomes guys....

@missile: The bikes don't have to be perfectly level of course, but I'd kinda like some symmetry - better than this anyway...

@Barbyboy: The problem seems to be related to the tow ball itself, which doesn't appear to be level - the tilt of the bike carrier is reflecting the tilt in the flat top of the ball !

Unfortunately no adjustment available on the bike carriers I fitted or the tow ball.

@Barbyboy: I'd be interested to know if your tow ball top is level - I expect it is?

The retrofit tow bar (and swing mechanism etc) comes as a single unit which just bolts on to the car - so the tow bar is probably fitted properly, but unfortunately it seems the tow ball has not been manufactured/put together correctly.

Currently still in arguments with the Audi service center that fitted the tow bar and Audi UK parts dept that supplied it - not looking good for a quick solution right now though...
Sorry for the delayed reply.
That's exactly the same bike carrier as mine and I've just done a quick spirit level test - completely level.
It does seem to suggest it's an alignment issue somewhere but the tow bar is a solid die cast unit so I can't work out the problem unless its just a one-off 'baddun' out of the forge?
Just a final silly thought - here's no debris / surplus metal flange sitting inside the tow bar hood on the bike rack itself is there?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Snap! Same towbar option, same bike rack, and same tilt issue. Our towbar was factory fitted on a new car delivered May this year. As I reported in this thread:
OEM towbar and rear-mounted bike carrier - level?

I gave up in the end and even though it leans to the left a little it seems fine. I didn't chase the dealer after the initial discussion, as I couldn't reproduce the problem with an audi supplied accessory. Let me know if you get any solution though as I'd be very interested.

·
Banned
202 Posts
I've ordered mine with a factory fit tow bar so I can fit my Mont Blanc carrier onto it. Will post my findings in January.

·
Registered
596 Posts
A different but related question:
Tow bar lever (behind cover in boot) has a warning sticker saying that the maximum load limit is 80kg.
Weight of bike carrier + four bikes attached comes inside this figure but what's the deal regarding trailers and caravans?
I appreciate that the bike carrier + bikes has a lot of weight sitting ON TOP of the tow ball, but at the same time, trailers and / or caravans typically weigh much more than this so the stress loading through the towing bar unit would (presumably) be equal to, or more likely, greater than the 80kg limit.
Physics / stress / forces / Newton's theories weren't my strongest subjects at school (+ was a very very long time ago), so can someone clarify what maximum weights I can a) actually carry or
tow and c) is there a difference between the two ?
Cheers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
80kg is the maximum you can load in the vertical plane on your tow ball irrespective of what it is so trailer nose weight would have to be added to the bikes etc. This has no connection with the maximum weight you can tow which is in the horizontal plane.
I used to put two bikes and a caravan on my x3 ball which was rated similar to the Q5 but im not advocating you do this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.