Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Has anyone had a similar problem? My Q5 SE TDi 3.0 has started to make a loud squeek/grinding noise when I tur left esp at slow speed or when turning the car around. My first thoughts are it is the power steering pump. There is no vibration or noise when driving normally and straight only when turning left and slightly now when turning right. It is not the normal power steering noise you can normally hear.

Has anyone had similar issues. Also my front tryes which are 12 months old need changing after 15k miles, the backs are fine and older? could tis all be related?

Thanks

Stan

·
Registered
706 Posts
Newer cars don't have power steering pumps but are electric. When was your car registered? Grinding noise when turning could be a wheel bearing problem. Are your sure the noise is comming from the front? Jack up the car at the fromt. Turn steering to full left lock and spin the wheel by hand. Can you hear a noise or grating sound?

The tyre wear problem seems independent of the noise you are hearing. I assume your tyres have worn evenly accross the tread. What is the make and size of tyre?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car was registered 2009 and it has 18" wheels, continental tires front and back, the front ones are 12 months old and I have driven 15k miles in the year with the main wear being the outer edges.

Further tests this morning has isolated the noise when turning the steering wheel a few inches when left lock is on and as if I were straightening the wheels and it seems to be coming from the 2 ball joints just above and behind the left wheel like a dry grinding noise/squeak! Like old bed springs being jumped on is the easiest way to describe the noise.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Sounds like the spring is moving on its strut. Or the ball joints are worn. Can't say much else without having a look.
Regarding tyres. If both are worn on the outside then your wheel alignment is out. The front tyres are pointing inwards and need to be adjusted to point straight ahead or whatever the spec is. Give that you have 4 wheel drive, you must take it to a 4wheel alignment centre for checking and adjustment. When you are there, ask their opinion re the noise. They will probably advise you for free. Don't take your car to have just the tracking done because the front wheels must be aligned to the rear wheels and to each other.

Reactions: Stan2503

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I never knew about the 4 wheel alignment, but it makes sense when you think about it. Audi Hove have it at the moment and I am preparing myself for their call back later today, but I appreciate your thoughts and advice with this and I will update this page later.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Regarding tyres. If both are worn on the outside then your wheel alignment is out.
Actually, there is another cause for this, I know from experience. You can also get it from having the tyres at the wrong pressure and cornering too hard, on roundabouts and the such like. Since I stopped driving my Q5 like I drove my A6 around curved surfaces and kept the pressures up at the right level, I've never had this issue. The tracking has been checked over the years and it's always been perfect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts