Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks have Q5 ordered but can't make up my mind to keep the leather or change it to the alcantara as I like the stitching colour better,asked dealer twice and keeps telling me to keep leather as will be worth more and last longer and have two young kids.don't have much time left to change it

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
If you have kids, then spills are possible to wipe off leather... Not so much with alc.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I've had leather in last three Q5s as kids were growing up. It looked just as good on trade in three years later. I chose Alcantara this time around for the same reasons as yourself - the contrast stitching and perforated Alcantara breaks up the interior. It looks great and I would like to hear from anyone whose had Alcantara through the early years of parenthood! My dealer told me it's pretty durable.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I had it and anything like chocolate or sticky sweets is a nightmare to remove.
You can get the contrast leather too.

pros for leather, resale, wipe-ability.
pros for alacantara, its not slippy (but this is not a race car) and you could say its warmer - but this heated seats it makes no difference.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I had the same dilema, but opted for leather due to use having a 17month old. Have currently got a part leather/alcantara set up in my BMW and it's not very easily cleaned, also prone to retaining water marks (if you get in when it's been raining outside and clothes are damp)

·
Registered
768 Posts
Purely personal choice. I just prefer the leather over alcantara, although from what I see on this forum the alcantara tends to keep its looks better in the long run.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I opted for Alcantara after much deliberation, I've 2 kids 8 and 6, I'm hoping they are past the point of spillages, sickness etc

I would imagine the booster/car seat would cover all the Alcantara In the back In any case

My 2 previous cars have been full leather and the initial buzz of having leather soon wears off as I find It's just not as comfortable nor Inviting to sit on (mines weren't heated seats though)

It's a personal choice, I think Alcantara looks/feels better than leather, whether It would devalue car at trade in time Is debatable and even If It did I would imagine It would only be marginal.

I haven't seen a post on this forum where a buyer has taken delivery of Alcantara and been disappointed with It, In fact most mention how much they love It.

·
Registered
814 Posts
When my salesrep was configuring an S-line plus for me, she automatically ticked the leather option (Milano I think)
When i asked why she didnt give me the option, she explained that the Alacantra could be had as standard on the SE, but Milano leather was a serious extra expense, so in effect, by not taking it I was somehow cheating myself and down-speccing the car.
Don't know how true this actually was, as I didn't check up, I quite liked the leather anyway.
I have since seen Alacantra, and the stitching etc does look nice, but I didn't like the shading/ velvet effect you gett when brushing a hand across, or getting in and out etc.

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
I would suggest OP should buy what he want's rather than what might help resale.

Didn't make any difference when I sold my Q5.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
OPs dealer has already stated the cost difference benefit of leather.
You can't say it makes no diff because 'you' sold yours ok. its like saying 20T will sell ok - when most people want TDi Q5s, its more than true you can sell 20Ts, but the fact is leather and TDI is what most want and is most likely to return value at the end of ownership.

That said, someone else will always want to be different so buy for you, but unless you sold an equivalent at the same time you can't state what the market will be doing at any one time. Dealers do see the market trends/wants. (remember this is a no cost option - so its not like he's doing/saying it to make money from a customer).

Agree, buy what floats your boat or meets your needs.

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
It certainly is not "that simple". I am aware leather is a no cost option for OP, nevertheless some of us prefer alcantara. Some owners have reported problems with stretched leather squabs. Alcantara in perfect condition would be worth more than stretched leather come resale time. As always supply and demand will dictate the resale value. Anyway lets agree OP should get what he wants rather than what some sales woman thinks he ought to have.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have seen alcantara in quite a few cars including various Audi's. They are ok and nothing special. BUT, in the Q5 with the contrasting stiching and white flecked spots on the seats makes it look absolutely amazing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi folks thanks for the replies I think I will stay with the leather, I can see both sides of what members are saying I do like the look of the alcantara but as the salemans says you are not getting anything back for choosing it and it is a dearer cost option.i will try leather this time and when I change it 2-3 years later I might get the alcantara for a change,i just can't find a car with it in to have a right look and feel of. all the garages I have been to and have had Q5 to look at all have leather in them.

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
There is no right decision. Life is about choices and I am sure you will be happy with yours. Hopefully you will not have long to wait for delivery.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you have young kids, full leather. Alcantara is difficult to clean and as snobby as it sounds - it does feel like you're 'downgrading' the car plus as full leather is standard, you might as well take it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts