Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Just introducing myself, at present have a S3 sportback which was fine for when I had one kid but now I have two its a bit tight for space so thinking about a Q.

Like the look of a SQ5 but out of reach at the moment. A 3.0 TDI S line Plus looks interesting though!

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who made the same sort of jump.

Ron.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Can't say I made a jump like that, but sure there are a few on the forum who can help.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I came from an A3 too, but a 1.6SE Sportback Tiptronic, so to me the 2.0 TDi S-tronic is like a rocket ship compared!!! :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum. I went from A3 to Q5 to SQ5. I would suggest the S3 and Q5 3.0TDI are so different, it is like comparing chalk and cheese.
Yes - fair point. Different beasts altogether. Obviously not expecting the same acceleration but I still want a bit of poke when needed.

Do they understeer like a boat? The S3 does so who knows, could be an improvement in that respect

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
The Quattro system when implemented across the Audi range does lend itself to understeer on the limit IMO as opposed to oversteer (but then all my other current and past cars have been RWD and very oversteery so I am quite sensitive to the lack of rear end fun on my SQ5). I have only managed to break the back end loose once on it and that required A LOT of right foot and flingage (to the point it was scary and I won't be trying that experiment again!).

The handling on the Q5 range is remarkably good overall though considering it is an SUV.

·
Still Game
4,615 Posts
Yes - fair point. Different beasts altogether. Obviously not expecting the same acceleration but I still want a bit of poke when needed.

Do they understeer like a boat? The S3 does so who knows, could be an improvement in that respect
All modern Audis I have driven are set up to under steer. Some fucker has decided that is safer option for the Audi target market - apparently we are not able to cope with neutral far less tail happy handling. The Q5 3.0TDI (or my SQ5) is nowhere near as sharp handling as my old 2.0TDI A3, but it will be a LOT more comfortable over the bumps than your S3.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi, I've gone from a Porsche Boxster S to ordering a 3.0 tdi s line plus! It doesn't arrive until March so in a similar boat to you. I swapped because we have had a child (born yesterday) but I'm hoping it will still give me some excitement at least in a straight line!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Hi, I've gone from a Porsche Boxster S to ordering a 3.0 tdi s line plus! It doesn't arrive until March so in a similar boat to you. I swapped because we have had a child (born yesterday) but I'm hoping it will still give me some excitement at least in a straight line!
It will certainly give you some excitement, but beware reliability. Water leaks are common on this model as are pungent smells from the moving parts. Its noisy and can do things you least expect it to. And as far as straight line stability, you can forget that. It is likely to skid and roll all over the place and bump into things, well at least until you put a new set of rubber on it.

Congratulations on your new arrival.

Reactions: Tricky

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Congrats DaytonaP on the baby!
Further congrats await while we wait for your car ;-)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts