Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if the Q5 main screen washer jets are heated? ~ if yes how do you turn them on?

Yesterday in sub zero temps my washer jets completely froze ~ The headlight washers still worked so the fluid hadn't frozen......!

Thanks,

Lee.

·
Registered
279 Posts
+1 - had to drive up the M5 today with next to no viz, but the bloody headlight washers still worked - go figure !

·
Super Moderator
1,046 Posts
i reckon that its because the headlight jets are covered by the plastic cover that opens and are kept warm by the super hot engine!

thats my ten pence worth lol.

Rich

·
Registered
52 Posts
I believe that the screen washer jets on the Q5?s are actually heated. If you notice the ?tubes? going to the jets are fabric-wrapped. I think this wrapping covers both the inner plastic tube carrying the washer fluid and also a wire which carries the power to the heating element.

As far as I am aware there is no manual control (switch) for the heating of the jets. I assume there is some form of automatic thermostat which turns the heating on when the ambient temperature drops below a certain threshold.

Unfortunately the current harsh winter conditions in the UK coupled with wind-chill cooling could result in the fluid in the tubes leading up to the jets freezing unless quite a high concentration of washer fluid additive is used. I agree that the front headlight washers are probably partially insulated behind the plastic covers.

I recall that Audi also recommend the use of a screen-washer / de-ionised water mixture. This is to avoid calcination within the heated jets (aka furring up within a kettle) if hard tap water is used.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Agree you really need a high concentration of stuff in the washer bottle as it's probably the pinhole nozzle that's freezing

·
Registered
963 Posts
Good news.

I keep topping mine up with neat screen wash at the moment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts