Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headlights on dipped just dont reach far enough!
On country roads when high beam cant be on (car in the distance coming towards me or a car in front) the dipped beam is just not good enough for the national speed (60mph)

They light up the road approx 8 car lengths (estimated) which is just poor. If something ran out or was in the road i have to brake sharply instead of having time to react at what i would consider to be a normal reaction time.

Anyone know if they can be raised slightly to project a little further.

Had this same problem on a Range Rover which i adjusted just fine so they were good for road lighting but didn't blind others

·
Registered
768 Posts
I quite agree, it's a really disappointing feature. I don't praise my recently traded in Evoque often, but the adaptive xenons were excellent in comparison to my Q5. I guess it's a feature that I should try more often in the future before I buy when I take any demonstrator out. Hope you get some suggestions Wilf.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I agree with this. Not as good as I expected. Would be interested to find out if anyone has a fix.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Not noticed mine being that low - but I drive with high beam most of the time as the auto dipping works quite well.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I commented on this on my post last week-end after driving mine home from the dealership but nobody responded so I assumed that I was a lone voice.
I moved from an A6 Allroad with Xenons and the difference in lighting is a very a significant disappointment.
My A6 lights were in a different world on both dip and main but the most dramatic difference is on main where the A6 had a light beam that was taller, better defined and had much geater range well which enabled one to drive quickly with confidence at night . Even at running in speeds I was having to slow down due to lack of vision into the distance on hilly country roads and I am aware that the Q5 will not have the same ground covering ability after dark that the A6 had due the fact that I cannot see nearly as far.
The lights themselves seem to be powerful enough in terms of light intensity but given the poor range on dip I suspect that they are set too low and the impression is highlghted on main beam as the top of the beam seems to be barely above the road surface at full ditance. The self levelling clearly works as they move up and down after you swith them on.
I have not looked at the units to see if they can be adjusted like a standard halogen unit but I suspect not. I never studied the A6 units for adjustability as there was never any need.
I would love to find a remedy if possible.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry Cruicd obviously missed your post about this, so its not just me then. I was looking at this again whilst driving home tonight and i think i over estimated the reach that they have!
José I'm glad the auto dip works well for you, its not the answer for us without it though.
Sounds like Land Rover have rectified the problem from what your saying Hector or maybe it was just the model of Range Rover i had?
Anyway its not good so hopefully something can be sorted

·
Registered
503 Posts
Have to say this is the first time I have had Xenons and I too am quite disappointed with them. I find the range ok, its just they don't seem very powerful

When they initially spark up they seem really bright for a fraction of a second, then they settle to their normal state. I think when they initially spark up they may include main beam so that could be why they initially seem very bright.

It may be my imagination, but I think they get brighter after they have been on for a minute or so...

·
Registered
768 Posts
I'm wondering whether this problem is something new and related to the current DRL frame surrounding the light beam. Chatting to some pre MY13 Q5 owners today and it doesn't appear to be an issue for them. Maybe just a coincidence!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I move from a 2004 A4 Avant to the Q5 and I notice the same. With my A4 bi-xenon headlights I have a noticeable better visibility at night...

·
Registered
8 Posts
On my 2011 model with Xenons, the beam seems to be way too high and Im sure im catching the eyes of oncoming drivers.

There is no option to adjust them though, as they are 'self-levelling'. Any had this problem?
Got it booked into the dealer to remedy, hopefully this will go under 'warranty' and not 'wear and tear'.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Got it booked into the dealer to remedy, hopefully this will go under 'warranty' and not 'wear and tear'.
It should be covered (IMO). The Xenon bulbs are consumable\wear&tear items, but not the rest of the light units, etc

·
Registered
130 Posts
It does involve VCDS but only to save the basic setting, you active the VCDS then adjust using the manual screws then save the VCDS.

However I would hit my dealer up first with a complaint before mucking about myself.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I wonder if one can adjust the intensity via VCDS?
I wish they could as I find them pretty poor to be honest. The best part about having the Xenons is the amazing running lights!

This is my first experience of Xenons and they don't seem any brighter than my A3's halogen lamps - whiter, but no brighter. When they initially start up e.g when I leave to go home from work they light up the wall opposite with a really bright white light then they settle down to a very average white/blueish light. They are worse when its wet.

The is one of the very few criticisms I have with the Q5

1 - 16 of 16 Posts