Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

When I return to my 2012 Q5 2L TDi after parking it for several hours, I find that the brake pedal is hard.

After I start the engine the pedal soon softens up and I have no problem with braking when driving.

On previous cars I've driven the pedal has been soft and would only harden up after 2 or 3 strokes.

Is this firm pedal normal for all Q5's? Or is it a sign of a pending brake servo issue?

Thanks

·
Registered
433 Posts
Looks like you have a vacuum leak in the servo, I would get it booked in for attention in cease in fails at the unexpected time...
May be a recall across the range if they find something,

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
^this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same thing on my Q5 and it's been like this for a few years now. No issues with the brakes, took the car to a dealer to scan for each and every issue they can find and the car is OK.

·
Banned
842 Posts
Come to think of it mine is like this too. I notice it when depressing the break to start the car, as soon as the engine starts there is a sink of the pedal...

·
Registered
289 Posts
The servo will bleed vacuum over the period of hours and the slight "softness" you feel in the brake pedal when pressing it will dissapear as the vacuum in the servo is lost. In effect you are feeling what the brakes feel like without the servo assistance. It is therefore quite normal from them to feel "harder" than when the servo is functioning. The "softness" when the engine is running is actually the progression in the brakes that the servo is assisting you in modulating at the pedal under normal operating conditions. Luckily us drivers of manual cars have to press the clutch to start the engine so don't have to feel this odd "dead" feeling brake pedal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts