Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hello Everyone!

I am long time Audi Fan! I've had 4 Audis in the last 10 year. I made a terrible mistake 2 years ago buying a BMW, but now i am back.

I've had my Q5 3.0 tdi 2013 since September 26, 2012, that is the day when it was officially introduced in Paris!

My previous ride was BMW 525d F10 2010, I had to get ride of it due to numerous issues with quality and inability of BMW support chain in dealing with issues.

To compare the two cars:
- Q5 3.0 engine is much more quite compared to BMW 3.0 diesel;
- there are no vibrations of the engine like in the F10;
- Q5 is less efficient (far away from the official figures) although it is 45 Hp more;
- Q5 engine has used 200-300 ml of oil so far (4500 km) while BMW engine did not use any oil after 29,000 km;
- I find suspension more comfy in Q5: it absorbs small cracks and holes overall better that BMW with it's terrible RunFlat (not to mention that I was getting knocking sounds in the front suspension of F10 at 12,000 km mileage);
- Audi stereo with sub woofer (mid range system) sounds much better that BMW Business (also mid range)
- gearbox Audi S-tronic works great, nothing different in feeling from the BMW new 8-gear fantastic new one (not to mention that I had to replace the gearbox in BMW when the car was less than 1 year old);
- Q5 is much more universal/multi-purpose car; although they say it is based on A4, it provides same space inside as A6, better plastic inside (more like A6 than A4).

I am very happy with the car and it brings a big smile on my face every time I look at it or drive it!

The only thing that I did not like from new is the steering. It is way too artificial. I am dealing with local dealership in order to find some solution, but so far unsuccessful. I will start a new post on it now.

Regards,

·
Banned
801 Posts
Welcome to the forum

When you make comparisons to find something that is in the same class or similar
You can not compare the BMW 525 with Q5

BMW 525 with the Audi A6
Q5 with X3

BMW has a 3.0TDI engine with 258HP

·
Registered
130 Posts
Welcome to the forum

When you make comparisons to find something that is in the same class or similar

BMW 525 with the Audi A6
Q5 with X3

I think it is an acceptable comparison. We test drove Q5, Xc60, X3, 5 series, A6 as they all offer similar interior space just in a different format (I appreciate not all are 4wd but if that is not relevant to you then they are quite close on price and space). I totally agree with the comment on the engines though, BMW do seem to get closer to the official figures than other manufacturers and oil consumption on Audis does always seem to be high

·
Banned
801 Posts
I think it is an acceptable comparison. We test drove Q5, Xc60, X3, 5 series, A6 as they all offer similar interior space just in a different format (I appreciate not all are 4wd but if that is not relevant to you then they are quite close on price and space). I totally agree with the comment on the engines though, BMW do seem to get closer to the official figures than other manufacturers and oil consumption on Audis does always seem to be high
I thought only of the category and format of the vehicle.
Anyone who wants compact car with all-wheel drive can buy the same
Drive quattro available in all Audi models as well as the BMW xDrive

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the forum

BMW 525 with the Audi A6
Q5 with X3

Indeed, often comparison is done withing the same class, like Q5 vs X3, A6 vs F10, but for me the choice was between these two, I did not want anything else for one or the other reason (size, design, etc.). Although I had some reservations about comfort of the Q5, I've been pleasantly surprised since I got it. I was surprised with many other things as described.

I hope it can be helpful for someone!

PS. 525d F10 was coming in the beginning with 3.0 diesel v6 engine and 204 Hp

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think there are different things, people pay attention to a) when buying a car, and
once they start using a car on daily basis. In 2010 I was comparing between Q5 and F10, both were quite fresh models, comparable by size, space, engine characteristics and price. Q5 went too popular very fast and I could not just wait 3-6 months for a new car. That's where it went wrong... But I had a chance to own and try F10 in all aspects and happy finally to be with Q5!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not a fan of the M5, but I do like this F10
There was something about F10... I actually flew to Geneva motor-show in March 2010 when it was first introduced and ordered it straight after. But I guess there was a bit too much emotions.

I'll be very careful about going for a BMW again. I appreciate Audi's attention to details and general level of quality more than the "ultimate drive" so much promoted by BMW without the real substance behind it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts