Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't push my key all the way in yesterday before starting the car, let go and it shot out.

it landeded metal side down on the aluminium below around the mmi console, now have a dent in it after 4 days.

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
Ouch,not good,that's gona piss u off every time u get in it,ur dealer mite sort it as a favour,sum are nice like that,u got nothing to lose asking 😄

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ouch,not good,that's gona piss u off every time u get in it,ur dealer mite sort it as a favour,sum are nice like that,u got nothing to lose asking ������
It does already, I am usually ultra careful with my cars but this caught me out.

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
My 2 rear lites cracked,no idea how or y,but dealer sorted strait off,just ask nicely 😄

·
Banned
289 Posts
My SQ5 was delivered 3 hours ago. I was just sitting on my drive, wondering where to store everything. I was thinking of storing the garage remote in the (pathetically small) sunglass holder.... dropped the remote... two small dents in the aluminium trim.on the centre console.

Not a good start... but never mind.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I didn't push my key all the way in yesterday before starting the car, let go and it shot out.

it landeded metal side down on the aluminium below around the mmi console, now have a dent in it after 4 days.
My heart sank when I read your post. I really feel for you as the same happened to me about 3 months after I picked up my car, but my key managed to make 5 or 6 small dents as it bounced its way along the trim.

As much as I tried to ignore it I had to get it sorted. Dealer quoted around £350 to do it which I didn't think was bad considering its a big whole centre console out job. I booked it in to be done along with some ongoing warranty issues and to my amazement and delight Audi UK paid for it as way of an apology for the ongoing issue which they finally sorted out so I was really pleased.

If the next Q5 has the same kind of trim I will definitely spec the piano black.

I am now even more ultra careful than normal.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Steppy,

Did they put everything back with no creaks or rattles, this is my only concern about having it replaced.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry to hear that Quattro, I know how you must feel.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Thanks Steppy,

Did they put everything back with no creaks or rattles, this is my only concern about having it replaced.
You're welcome.

Yes they did a great job. I was worried about creaks too as well as lever marks where it had been dissembled but you wouldn't know its been out. I get the odd noise every now and then, but that couldn't of developed over time anyway regardless of it being apart and nothing that a quick spray of trim cleaner doesn't sort out.

I wouldn't hesitate to get it done again, but I really hope I don't have to.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Bad day for me too; someone reversed into my front bumper; minor damage, but still a pitty.
Good thing I have Ibis white, repaints easy

·
Registered
185 Posts
Surely it sounds like it's a design fault of some kind if they're damaged so easily?

are the piano black inlays robust?

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have the piano inlays and I think they are less sensitive to dents, but more sensitive to scratches

·
Registered
258 Posts
Surely one of you well informed guys out there knows a way of protecting these delicate aluminium trim, without spoiling the look..

I'm sure I've seen previous post that suggested using" helicopter tape"???

Any other ideas???

·
Banned
289 Posts
Sorry to hear that, Robin.

Surely it sounds like it's a design fault of some kind if they're damaged so easily?
I think it is a weakness for sure. My last car (Volvo) had aluminium trim - genuine, cold when it's cold outside, aluminium, and that stood up to the normal rough and tumble without any problem. Day one in the SQ5 and it's dented...

Still, jump in the car, give it some welly, and all is forgiven.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Sorry to hear your news. I used the helicopter tape on my Evoque console. Although I had a few air bubbles, many Evoque owners applied it successfully without any. Cheap, so worth a try!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Robin,

Had this happen to me a while ago, I was in a shop and actualy saw the guy do it.
He started to drive off but could not pull out straight away and I caught up to him and stopped him driving off.

He gave me some verbal but once i pointed out I would report him for driving away from an accident, he gave me £20.00 for a new number plate.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Is there any way to get it professionally wrapped?

Carbon inlays do look awesome - but a hell of a lot of money!

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Is there any way to get it professionally wrapped?

Carbon inlays do look awesome - but a hell of a lot of money!
Only £255 on the SQ5...

£1,124 is eye watering on the Q5 though!

·
Registered
503 Posts
I got a quote to have my Aluminium swapped out for piano black and it was just under £2000, so I went for like for like replacement

1 - 20 of 38 Posts