Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've just ordered a 30d X3 to replace my year old Q5. I love the Q5 and this was a really tough decision that I agonised over. I thought it might be useful to summarise my thoughts for anyone trying to chose between the vehicles in future.

Why I decided to replace the Q5

-Engine. I should have got the 3.0 from the start, the 2.0 is just not powerful enough. It never struggles but it never really flies and I can't deal with Golfs and Fiesta Z-techs hanging in my mirrors. I would stress to anyone considering an order to always go for the engine first and then spend the left over budget on options, not the other way around.

-S-tronic. What a disappointment this has turned out to be. The marketing material that bangs on about super quick shifts fails to mention that this is completely negated by the lag on taking off from standstill or the second or so it takes to think about dropping into lower gears when you slow down and then need to pull away again at city speeds.

-Ride. I'll admit it now, 20" wheels and S-line suspension is just way too hard.

On their own, I could have lived with these shortcomings (many of which are my own fault) but as a whole and plus the fact that I will only lose a few grand in changing in the next few months, it made sense to look around.

Why I went for the X3 (and what is better than the Q5)

-Engines. BMW build the best six cylinder engines in the world, period. I have not had as much fun in a long time as I did in the 30d loaner I had for a morning a couple of weeks ago.

-Transmission. The 8 speed ZF blows the S-tronic away. Warp speed take off from standstill and always in the right gear or if its not its realised and rectified it before you have.

-Tech. It is light years ahead of the 3G MMI. Beautiful wide screen sat nav. Forget 7 digit postcodes (which it has) - you can lock it, locate the car and turn on the AC remotely from your iPhone. I am a tech geek and even I am impressed.

What I will miss (and whats not as good in the X3)

-Looks. This is subjective but to me the Q5 in Sline is more beautiful and has more presence than the X3.

-Build quality. Forget what the half hour magazine reviews say, the X3 has nowhere near the build quality of the Q5. They seem to have used cardboard for the cubby hole under the wheel and the cheap plastic pull out boot lid cover is embarrassing (and rattles non stop).

-Rear seat arrangement. The X3 has an awkward low rear seat position that means your thighs are elevated into the air. I wouldn't want to ride for long in the back (as an adult) - but I never will

...on balance its the right choice for me (and the thought of that engine and transmission combo excites above all else) but I think a facelift Q5 with better tech and engines would be a much more difficult choice!

I hope this helps someone.

regards
DNW

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good luck with the new car. I take it you never considered any resale value? That would have been my main consideration......

I have to say I considered a New BMW X3 (glad I didn't get one now though) but as my uncle sells prestige cars he advised me and said that unless you get the top M Sport spec with all the bells and whistles it will lose you thousands a month. Hence going for a Q5 as they hold their value due to lack of availability and their high demand.

Not sure about some of your points, I don't have S-Tronic, I personally went for a manual so wouldn't know about any issues there. All I do know is that my 2.0 doesn't seem to have any problem dealing with all the irritating rev up boys and their Golf's/Fiesta's etc, mind you I did come unstuck trying to pull away from a 911, definately not clever!

However, I can agree that the ride can be firm but it is no firmer than the equivelant BMW X3. Be very wary of your MPG in the 3.0d X3, it has been in all the reviews and news articles about the false economy specs they report for all there cars, the 3.0d is in some cases not even getting 20mpg. Mind you, you are right about the Tech aspect of the new X3, the Q5 could take so tips there!

Hope what I've said doesn't make you regret your decision? Enjoy the new car.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Good luck with your choice dnw.

Thankfully I went for the 3.0 and therefore I have none of the issues you bring up. I personally think the Stronic really suits the power of the 3.0 and that is probably the cause of your niggles. Wrong engine choice as you say.

And as you say it's still a fairly large car and it needs the power. I don't think the argument of mpg should be a deciding factor. Imho the mpg in the 3.0 is not vastly different on paper from the 2.0 and that imho suggests that it needs the extra bhp for the weight of the car. It's certainly a whole lot better than my last RRS.

To anyone trying to decide which engine.....................I think you have to accept SUVs/4x4s are never going to be extremely fuel efficient, but the Q5 is certainly a lot better than most of the LR stable where the norm is about 22mpg or less. And the Q5 really suits the 3.0 tdi regardless of what the motoring press say

·
Banned
842 Posts
I've just ordered a 30d X3 to replace my year old Q5. I love the Q5 and this was a really tough decision that I agonised over. I thought it might be useful to summarise my thoughts for anyone trying to chose between the vehicles in future.

-Engine. I should have got the 3.0 from the start, the 2.0 is just not powerful enough. It never struggles but it never really flies and I can't deal with Golfs and Fiesta Z-techs hanging in my mirrors. I would stress to anyone considering an order to always go for the engine first and then spend the left over budget on options, not the other way around.

-S-tronic. What a disappointment this has turned out to be. The marketing material that bangs on about super quick shifts fails to mention that this is completely negated by the lag on taking off from standstill or the second or so it takes to think about dropping into lower gears when you slow down and then need to pull away again at city speeds.

-Ride. I'll admit it now, 20" wheels and S-line suspension is just way too hard.

On their own, I could have lived with these shortcomings (many of which are my own fault) but as a whole and plus the fact that I will only lose a few grand in changing in the next few months, it made sense to look around.

-Engines. BMW build the best six cylinder engines in the world, period. I have not had as much fun in a long time as I did in the 30d loaner I had for a morning a couple of weeks ago.

-Transmission. The 8 speed ZF blows the S-tronic away. Warp speed take off from standstill and always in the right gear or if its not its realised and rectified it before you have.

-Tech. It is light years ahead of the 3G MMI. Beautiful wide screen sat nav. Forget 7 digit postcodes (which it has) - you can lock it, locate the car and turn on the AC remotely from your iPhone. I am a tech geek and even I am impressed.

-Looks. This is subjective but to me the Q5 in Sline is more beautiful and has more presence than the X3.

-Build quality. Forget what the half hour magazine reviews say, the X3 has nowhere near the build quality of the Q5. They seem to have used cardboard for the cubby hole under the wheel and the cheap plastic pull out boot lid cover is embarrassing (and rattles non stop).

-Rear seat arrangement. The X3 has an awkward low rear seat position that means your thighs are elevated into the air. I wouldn't want to ride for long in the back (as an adult) - but I never will

...on balance its the right choice for me (and the thought of that engine and transmission combo excites above all else) but I think a facelift Q5 with better tech and engines would be a much more difficult choice!

regards
DNW
We test drove both diesel variants of the Q and went for the 2.0TDI Q5 over the X3 mainly for a looks and build quality point of view. I take the point over the power but we are chosing the 2.0TDI after coming from a modified focus ST running circa 270BHP so we have had our bit of fun there. From the demo we had I was happy with the power of the 2.0 and couldnt justify an extra £8k for the 3.0. If I find the day to day power of the 2.0 too little I will look into a Revo remap which will take the power up to 200 BHP and add another 40lbft of torque if needed. Dont quite understand the critiscm of the power many people wave at the Q5? It wasnt really ever imagined to be a hot hatch and if you want power they why wouldn't you choose the petrol version?

I guess its courses for horses at the end of the day. Really can't wait for ours to arrive (fingers crossed second week of December)

·
Registered
33 Posts
DNW, I agree with everything you have written. Spot on with the 2.0tdi being a bit underpowered and the stronic blunting the power even more. BMW's engines and transmissions are in a different league to Audi.

I'm just not sold on the looks though. Its much nicer looking than the old one, but no where near as nice as the Q5.

Reactions: gingamog

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have the 2.0tdi 143 and find the power fine, my previous Q7 was massively overpowered in my opinion and the 25mpg figure put me off buying a car of this size again. The Q5 hits 100mph and still wants to pull (I have to be careful), plus I'm getting really good mpg (45mpg average).

The new X3 looks the same as the old one to me, and you can pick these up for £6k, the Audi Q5 is the best looking car in it's class and the build quality is excellent. Also I think BMW stereos are also abismal, I had a 520d M Sport a few years back and the stereo didn't even go loud enough to be heard when driving on the motorway, shocking for a £30k car. Also I needed new front and rear brake pads and BMW quoted me £500 inc VAT, I'd never go back to BMW again.

I would never chose pointless iPhone integrations over build quality, reliability, service cost and residual value - if that were the case I'd have a RR Evoque.

·
Registered
700 Posts

regards
DNW
Hi ive had 2 q5 3.0tdi s line now both with 20" alloys, i think the ride and power is spot on, i did have a bmw in between the two q5's and was extremly disapointed in the build quality compared to audi's, ive owned audi's for years and dont think any other car manufactor beats them for quality,doesnt even come close.

good luck with you x3 thou all the best

Reactions: crvfr

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm thinking that I might actually keep both cars. We have a 57 118d as a second car (which, by the way, can outpull the Q5 at every speed), by the time the X3 turns up it might be worth getting rid of that and keeping the Q5 as a no2).

Build quality and looks I will miss the most- but right now I want the fun of the engine, transmission and tech over that. Maybe I'll keep it a year and then come back to the Q5 facelift if they lift the game on that front. An SQ5 with the tech of the new A6 would be very hard to beat.

To the poster that mentioned residuals, of course I factored this in - right now X3 demand and waiting lists are longer than Q5 and are keeping residuals high plus I negotiated a sizeable discount that should me with very little hit in the first 12 months as happened with the Q5. What experience your uncle can have of reselling the new model when there are next to none on the private market I don't know? Plus I'll wager that the X3 will be equal to or more economical than the Q5 on my 8 minute station run - I never get over 23mpg!

·
Registered
60 Posts
dnw,

Your comments about the Q5 are valid, these are the issues I had with mine....I addressed the lag and performance by fitting a tuning box, its much better now and delivers loads torque for towing. If money was no object i would have the 3.0 tdi, I jusy couldn't justify it. Perhaps next time.

I have an Sline with only 19" wheels and still find the ride a bit too firm, I would consider this on my next purchase..

For me personally I wouldn't didn't consider the X3, BMW have fantastic engines and some great looking models, but I think the X3 is really lacking in style.....

I would get your Q5 checked out if its returning 23mpg, I regularly get 550miles between fill ups more on a journey, this must equate to approx 35 to 40 mpg, very rarely less than that..23mpg is really bad even on short runs..

My Q5 has 46K miles on now and still feels brand new....but would make some amendments to spec next time..

Regards

Regards..

·
Banned
842 Posts
dnw,

Your comments about the Q5 are valid, these are the issues I had with mine....I addressed the lag and performance by fitting a tuning box, its much better now and delivers loads torque for towing. If money was no object i would have the 3.0 tdi, I jusy couldn't justify it. Perhaps next time.

I have an Sline with only 19" wheels and still find the ride a bit too firm, I would consider this on my next purchase..

For me personally I wouldn't didn't consider the X3, BMW have fantastic engines and some great looking models, but I think the X3 is really lacking in style.....

I would get your Q5 checked out if its returning 23mpg, I regularly get 550miles between fill ups more on a journey, this must equate to approx 35 to 40 mpg, very rarely less than that..23mpg is really bad even on short runs..

My Q5 has 46K miles on now and still feels brand new....but would make some amendments to spec next time..

Regards

Regards..
Minder which tuning company did you use?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I looked at getting an X3 (only just got my Q5) - but there's no used cars available with the facelift (and the pre-facelift car is hideous), except for very high spec, very expensive versions. I did like the car when I sat in it though - it definitely feels like a high quality vehicle, and comparing directly with the X5 that was parked next to it in the showroom it's only a little shorter.

I did not like the driving position though - the wheel is too large in my option, and the manual seat adjustment is downright dangerous, as it dumps you to the lowest position when you pull the level. I'd definitely get electric seat adjustment if I ever bought a BMW.

There's no doubting, looking at the figures, that the diesel engines are better than the VW units - faster to 60, but better economy too !

·
Registered
249 Posts
That Porsche does look good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts