Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
OK, getting close to pushing the button on my order, but just wanted a bit of honest feedback on what options are a must versus those that people have paid for but not really benfitted from.

My proposed spec is below:
3.0tdi Sline Plus
Exclusive Racing Mika Blue
Extended leather
Tech Pack High
Sound Pack
Storage Pack
Luggage packs
Interior light pack
Extended warranty
heated Seats
Piano inlays
Side window blinds
Folding mirrors
Rear airbags
Bench seat plus
Titainum wheels (?)

I have a few questions over the following:
Hill Hold - I have it on the TT and it's actually pretty useful. Question is, does it serve any purpose on an stronic car?
Drive Select and Damper control - I've test driven a 3.0TDi sline and thought the ride was OK (compared to previous cars all on coilovers or lowered springs). In the manual it says that Damper control is based on lowered suspension. Does that make it lower than an Sline on the standard or firmer sports springs? Anybody got any info on this?

Memory seats and mirrors - We cope now adjutsing the seat when we're hopping in and out of the Mrs car - the question is, is this really worth the £850? I mean I can never find the right position in a car anyway, I'm forever adjusting them so not sure I need this. Others experiences?

Parking Advanced - is the camera REALLY needed, it comes standard with front and rear sensors and a graphical display.

Black Pack - Racing Mica Blue is quite dark and I can't quite decidce with the titanium wheels if the Black Pack is a must or whether to keep the silver grill and window surround. Here's a Q7 in Mica with the Black Pack

I think it looks pretty good, but could look just as good on silver wheels with the silver grill....

Thoughts are appreciated.

J

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Jamie, mine arrived last Friday, similar spec...

Hill Hold - can't see why you would need this as the stronic prevents rollback in most situations, and the parking brake auto disengages when you are in D and press the accelerator.

Memory Seats: I was also in two minds. Eventually went for this as it's handy for the mrs when trying to hold a baby and get in and out of the car. Since I've had the car I find this the most useful/trick option. For example, yesterday walking back from 5-a-side, was holding a ball, water and the money to pay for the pitch, just walked up to car with key in bag and door opened. Press button to start.
Not had to use the seat adjust yet, but this was one of my main bugbears when getting into the old car after the mrs had been driving.

Parking: I find the camera a distraction in terms of the parking guides. However it's v useful when backing up against a curb/other car.

Black Pack: I've got lava grey with tints and black back: looks great. Went for the standard wheels though.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hill hold - a must for automatic gearbox... hate keeping break all the time when not moving... parking brake indeed disengage when you start accelerating, but first you need to manually engage it.
Memory seat - for me completely useles, but I'm driving my car 95% of the time. So this is indeed the question of how frequently you share the car and how much adjustments need to be done when switching drivers.
Parking advanced - I do not see use for it, though this might be the question of how experienced driver you are and how much used to SUV with limited visibility. To me normal sensor are more than enough.
Black pack - really personal taste that plays major role. I've seen many car that people were wowing and I'd never do something like that to my ride. And opposite, cars that I liked were not appreciated. Do what YOU really want and enjoy!

·
Registered
140 Posts
hi jamie ...just ordered myself a few weeks ago

Hill assist - dealer said its not available on cars with stop start, all qs now come with stop start as standard so like me that should be that sorted

Memory seats - i say its personal choice...never liked elec seats esp for that sort of money.

keyless entry wasnt even a consideration for me , but suppose it really depends on how long you plan to keep the car for. i noticed that you are extending warranty so for you it could be an option. I see nothing but problems every day with keyless entry cars and im always asking myself why . Id rather just have a good old fashioned key given the choice.

Parking camera - never really use them when parking but i dont really use parking sensors either. however i do find them useful for looking behind and curbs etc like cheeky said.

Love the blue and like the titanium wheels, we were going to go with those wheels aswell but changed our mind last minute as they look better with the black pack. We decided against the black pack as there was just too many by were we live.

good luck with your order

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hi Jamie - here's my advice:

Extended warranty is a great option but keep in mind:

1. If you trade the car in at any point you'll get £0 extra as the money goes back to Audi UK - hence only purchase if you're definately sure of keeping the car for 5 years.

2. Think about Audi Complete instead - it's £42 a month for 3 years (£1500) and includes the 5 year warranty plus your servicing (10k miles a year/3 years).

Other things I'd recommend:

Tech Pack advanced - the Adaptive Cruise is excellent, for the extra £500 this would be a no brainer for me, plus you get Lane Assist which I have and is a nice to have when you are tired and driving long miles (gives the steering wheel a gentle shake when you are drifting out of the lines!).

Advanced Key - I find this really useful, keep your key in your pocket/bag and just press buttons on the handles to key in and again to start the car - a really nice convienient touch.

Ref reverse camera - included in Tech Pack advanced anyway but it really is excellent once you get used to it, it's not just a camera - lines move around on the screen as you turn the wheel which show your "end point", very useful for tight parallel parking - I didn't like it at first but now I'm used to it I can park in tight spaces I wouldn't even attempt before.

I wouldn't bother with any of the options below:
Hill Hold - Auto gearbox so will hold anyway
Black Pack - IMO these look naff and if it came as standard everyone would pay £350 for the chrome (looks ok in white/black but that's it)
Side window blinds - you already have tinted windows so not really needed (unless you have a baby perhaps?) kids over 3 will be fine
Piano inlays - not worth £300, the standard is fine
- save your money or put it into advanced tech pack!
Also try the 177hp 2.0tdi auto - save yourself £4k and tax/insurance/fuel?

Reactions: jamiekip

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have 2 children 4 yrs and 1 yr and the combination of the privacy glass and the blinds is very handy to have to keep the sun of them. Very glad I went for them.

Reactions: jamiekip

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi Kramer

considering updating my order to the tech pack advanced...is the adaptive cruise worth it and do you use the lane assist ..its a pity they dont throw in the side assist on the advanced pack aswell. As far as i can make out the rear camera is an option with the tech pack advanced and is still charged ? Have you ever had to use the braking guard that comes with the adaptive cruise ...does it have to be switched on or does it work automatically ?
that one could be really useful for the wife

·
Registered
578 Posts
Adaptive Cruise is the best thing ever on motorway and dual carriageways - set the max speed and distance between yourself and any car ahead and it does all the work for you - 100% recommended for th £500 or so pricetag on the upgrade. You'll also get the rear camera etc included as its part of tech pack advanced by defualt.

Never used the braking guard, it just cuts in automatically I think.

Lane assist - use on long motorway trips, its good and even works when roadmarkings are faint, a nice to have (I wouldn't order it specifically) but if its part of a package you'll use it - its amazing how often I drift close to the line and this thing tells you about it - it's kind of like driving over those 3D lines in the road that give a judder if you are hitting the hard shoulder etc.

·
Registered
140 Posts
thanks for the info, just had a look on you tube ...looks pretty special ...ill ask the dealer about rear camera, if that comes with it instead of extra ill defo be adding it

thanks again

·
Registered
140 Posts
yeah the adaptive cruise control is great actually - never thought I would really use it as it came on my 2nd hand Q5. Nice little graphics on the DIS as well and you can also set the driving nature of the acceleration etc if you have Drive Select (e.g. dynamic, comfort etc)

The braking guard is always on (unless you turn it off via the MMI) and constantly monitors the vehicle in front of you. If you get too close to it, it lets you know via the DIS

Also if the vehicle in front of you brakes suddenly or turns suddenly, the braking guard will make a "ding" noise and if it deems it necessary it will apply the brakes (not slam on, but enough to slow the car). If it slammed on, there is a good chance a car behind you would smash into you.

Prior to that though (if it thinks you aren't concentrating :)) - it will apply a braking jolt which judders the car slightly to awaken you into taking action :)

Basically if it thinks something it going to happen it primes the brakes by pumping them with fluid ready for action and readies the ESP system.

quite a good article on it here:

http://www.automobilesreview.com/car-makes/audi/safety-based-on-radar-technology-audi-braking-guard/1170/

The only thing i think against it as the aesthetic look of the radar on the front of the car next to the fog lights - but it is a talking point when people ask what it is :)

·
Registered
578 Posts
"The only thing i think against it as the aesthetic look of the radar on the front of the car next to the fog lights - but it is a talking point when people ask what it is :) "

Ha, I get asked that as I have one for the Night Vision Assist - people don't really get it when I tell them though but looks so cool when the 7" display in between the speedo is a camera view of the front of the car and its picking people out as you drive!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Doea anyone have a picture of what the unit looks like on the car ? rang my dealer today to enquire about the tech pack advanced as usual they havent bothered to return my call

·
Registered
140 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Jamie,

I might be wrong but I don't think the stop/start stuff is on the 3.0Tdi, unless it's been added recently. So you really do need the Hill Hold on the 3.0Tdi STronic. Contrary to what others have suggested the automatic gear box will not hold it stationary on an up or down hill without you keeping your foot on the brake.

So for me it's a brilliant device that makes for an accurate and if you want it a speedy get away
Just stop still it automatically applies and pull away by stepping on the accelerator. Very relaxing and top notch accessory.

Instead of piano black go for the CF like I've got

·
Registered
578 Posts
Jamie,

I might be wrong but I don't think the stop/start stuff is on the 3.0Tdi, unless it's been added recently. So you really do need the Hill Hold on the 3.0Tdi STronic. Contrary to what others have suggested the automatic gear box will not hold it stationary on an up or down hill without you keeping your foot on the brake.

So for me it's a brilliant device that makes for an accurate and if you want it a speedy get away
Just stop still it automatically applies and pull away by stepping on the accelerator. Very relaxing and top notch accessory.

Instead of piano black go for the CF like I've got
Start/Stop is now on every Q5 from what I can make of the borchure, I have the hill hold assist but never use it - the engine cuts out when you stop anyway so the car's not going anywhere! I'll turn Hill Hold on later and Start/Stop off and have a play - I hate Start/Stop, makes you look like you've stalled the car as it comes on EVERYTIME you stop, even if you are about to pull off again 1 second later - cr&p for slow moving traffic IMO - wish I could disable it permanently, its not like people with these cars really care about 1-2 mpg!

·
Registered
140 Posts
yeah think your right kramer, looks to me like its on all models and engines.

I agree over start stop, i think on some cars it can be disabled and i was kind of hoping that would be the case with the q5 ...i take from your post you cant ?
All i hear from customers everyday is how theyve bought their car based on mpg and tax bracket.
Were changing more engines and turbos than ever before, small under powered cars being pushed to the limit and extended service intervals are mostly to blame, costs alot more than an extra £5 a week at the pumps in the long run !

ps Once again the dealer has failed to ring me back today ..what is wrong with Audi dealerships and Sales? Anyone else had bad customer service?

Lets face it if stop start was an extra most of us wouldnt be adding it. Im just hoping the dpf on the q5 isnt as problematic as most !!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Start/stop, my wife switches it off every time she starts the car, then after so many OFF's it seems to stay in that mode. It may be a fault not sure but there is a light comes on in the dash saying it is off when she is stopped.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cruiser. Not just you. Emailed my spec to three dealers now asking to talk prices. Not a single acknowledgement of receipt it call back. Seems I can't give my money away!

·
Registered
578 Posts
There are so many people who waste the dealers time they are not interested - you need to go in person with a view of what you know want and how much you want to pay. Sadly this is my experience. The dealership probably only make £1k on each completed order (max) and therefore don't have time to deal with every enquiry/quote - their prices are all on the internet at audi.co.uk

When I ordered my Q5 I knew what spec I wanted, I said I wanted 7.5% discount and I wanted £x trade in, they confirmed the price immediately and came back to me the next day with the trade figure I wanted. I think you have to drive it forward and get in front of them - book an appointment via their phone number.

On the other hand when you go to a used car lot and they will talk to you all day long, in fact you will find it hard to leave and you'll be pressured into buying a car (in my experience).

The only attention you'll ever get from Audi is when they have closed the sale and they want to sell you GAP, wheel/tyre insurance, scotchguard and a whole load of other stuff which has a huge markup.

·
Registered
140 Posts
thanks doug at least it can be switched off...if it is a fault, its one most would welcome

Jamie i got so fed up, ordering our car became such a headache !! the only time i ever got anywhere was when i actually went into the dealerships and spoke face to face... unfortunately their apologies are now wearing thin and i cant believe how poor they are with return phone calls.
All they want to do is sell me finance or pcp, if they ask me one more time i will be cancelling my order !!

So far ive had to tell them the car was available to order, tell them the new specs, tell them that tech pack advanced is an option including telling them that it contains tech pack high ... they only "found" that one when i said id deal direct with audi uk. Audi uk i must say have been brilliant, call back when they say they will and personal point of contact. Just because the alloys i wanted weren't available they gave me lots of free merchandise :)
i dont know...very poor customer service, im not complaining too much though thats probably why my workshop is so busy ;-)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts