Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Evening All,

Since ordering my Q5 I've seen very few on the road (which is pleasing!) but did see one today with German 'style' plates - i.e. a UK number but with German font etc. Now I know these are of course not road legal, but I was wondering if anyone else had given them a try and what problems with local constabularies had occurred?!

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
I have a few BMW friends with them - they have all been pulled up on it recently... Seems to be a clamp down on it the last few months, in the Dorset area at least.
You are more likely to get away with it on a 'normal' looking car, some of my buddies are asking for trouble as they are driving drift slags etc that are heavily modified and so attract the bobbies eye anyway.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a few BMW friends with them - they have all been pulled up on it recently... Seems to be a clamp down on it the last few months, in the Dorset area at least.
You are more likely to get away with it on a 'normal' looking car, some of my buddies are asking for trouble as they are driving drift slags etc that are heavily modified and so attract the bobbies eye anyway.
Thanks José, any idea what the penalty is, warning, points or a fine?

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Thanks José, any idea what the penalty is, warning, points or a fine?
Usually they will let you off with a slapped wrist. Most people I know carry a legal set in the boot. That way you can fix it immediately and again less likely to get a fine. Just make sure you play the 'I think I have the old set that came off somewhere', and keep them under the boot floor - otherwise it will look like you know you are breaking the law.
Beware of being caught by the same cop twice though!

The penalty is technically up to £1000 fine, but friends who have been fined have got the £60 fixed penalty job.

More info here https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/overview

I have thought about it on my SQ5 but frankly its not worth the hassle. When I go to shows I put a set of vanity plates on whilst the car is on stand (just double sided stickies over the legals).

I have various cars and run a modified car club, have taken the SQ5 to one show when it was brand new and it drew a decent crowd as was only just released but its not really a show car, its my daily.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Usually they will let you off with a slapped wrist. Most people I know carry a legal set in the boot. That way you can fix it immediately and again less likely to get a fine. Just make sure you play the 'I think I have the old set that came off somewhere', and keep them under the boot floor - otherwise it will look like you know you are breaking the law.
Beware of being caught by the same cop twice though!

The penalty is technically up to £1000 fine, but friends who have been fined have got the £60 fixed penalty job.

More info here https://www.gov.uk/d...plates/overview

I have thought about it on my SQ5 but frankly its not worth the hassle. When I go to shows I put a set of vanity plates on whilst the car is on stand (just double sided stickies over the legals).

I have various cars and run a modified car club, have taken the SQ5 to one show when it was brand new and it drew a decent crowd as was only just released but its not really a show car, its my daily.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reasonable thought process there! Thought along the same lines myself - not wanting to really draw attention of the law but everything else will be in good order(!) so may be worth the risk! I'll probably order some and see how brave I feel (and how they actually look) when the car is finally delivered...

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Thing is you clearly know this is illegal so why would you even bother?
isnt the fine now increased as part of the current crack down on drivers with lights and small issues?

·
Banned
842 Posts
My wife has a personal plate that spells her name. Now every new car she has we alter the spacing so it spells her name correctly (first name and surname initial). Which is technically illegal for the reason it may upset ANPR cameras.

The petrol station we use has ANPR and displays your reg next to the pump you are using. The station's camera's always read the plate correctly and even display it as it is registered with the DVLA so I'm guessing the technology is getting smarter. Not sure about the german style though. Try it if there is a petrol station with ANPR near you...

Reactions: dadio77

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thing is you clearly know this is illegal so why would you even bother?
isnt the fine now increased as part of the current crack down on drivers with lights and small issues?
Because it's not the worst illegality on the roads I imagine, and wanted to get others thoughts and personal experiences... I spend time in Berlin through work, and the Q5's over there (and there are many many more!) look great with the German font, as did the car I saw this week. I will look into the updated changes though Snow Man, thanks for that

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My wife has a personal plate that spells her name. Now every new car she has we alter the spacing so it spells her name correctly (first name and surname initial). Which is technically illegal for the reason it may upset ANPR cameras.

The petrol station we use has ANPR and displays your reg next to the pump you are using. The station's camera's always read the plate correctly and even display it as it is registered with the DVLA so I'm guessing the technology is getting smarter. Not sure about the german style though. Try it if there is a petrol station with ANPR near you...
Thanks Chopper - what 'brand' is the station you use, I've not seen this? Mostly use Shell... I guess the argument wouldn't wash with most traffic police, but it would be good to know! I also have a private plate that I think it would look good on, and thanks to a mercifully small surname, doesn't need any further alterations!

·
Banned
842 Posts
Will check I think its a Shell garage. Have seen them at many others too. I know the station at Liverpool airport also has the same system.

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts

I did something similar, several years ago. Bought a plate H12 XXX (where XXX was my initials). I spaced it as H1 2 XXX (as in hi 2). Only had it on the car for a week before I got pulled. I would suggest it is not worth the hassle by giving the plod an excuse to pull you over.

·
Banned
842 Posts
She's managed to "get away" with it so far. My no means condoning it and accept it is on the sly side.

She has even been stopped for speeding with the plates on and no mention was made as again the car had read the reg plate and they knew her name and details before she got in the car (she got let off the speeding too)!

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
She's managed to "get away" with it so far. My no means condoning it and accept it is on the sly side.

She has even been stopped for speeding with the plates on and no mention was made as again the car had read the reg plate and they knew her name and details before she got in the car (she got let off the speeding too)!
She must be good looking

Reactions: Chopper

·
Banned
842 Posts
She's blonde and well endowed shall we say

Reactions: José

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just for your info. The fixed penalty ticket fine has recently gone up to £100 for incorrectly displayed plates.

It's hardly a heinous crime and some plates are worse than others.

What I would say, is that I know of an RS4 being stolen locally as a result of a burglary. The RS 4 had some tacky italic style digits private plate (Why?). When the ANPR was interrogated to find out which direction or what cameras it had activated, it would not have been able to read them. So that was no help.
The ANPR cameras are programmed to generally read the correct font and spacing of plates. Otherwise you could just put what the hell you wanted on the car.

It's up to you. I personally think it looks tacky.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just for your info. The fixed penalty ticket fine has recently gone up to £100 for incorrectly displayed plates.

It's hardly a heinous crime and some plates are worse than others.

What I would say, is that I know of an RS4 being stolen locally as a result of a burglary. The RS 4 had some tacky italic style digits private plate (Why?). When the ANPR was interrogated to find out which direction or what cameras it had activated, it would not have been able to read them. So that was no help.
The ANPR cameras are programmed to generally read the correct font and spacing of plates. Otherwise you could just put what the hell you wanted on the car.

It's up to you. I personally think it looks tacky.
I'd agree with you on the italic style looking tacky, I think the German style looks much better because its so uncommon... your point on ANPR helping out in the scenario above was something I hadn't considered and I'm sure the owner felt a bit of a div when he realised!

·
Banned
842 Posts
As I posted before the correct font, spaced incorrectly is readable by ANPR.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts