Audi Q5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with swapping the gear shift mechanism?

The reason I ask is that my 2010 3.0TDI came with ADS however Audi in their wisdom decided that as a result the D/S selection on the gearshift wasnt needed so its not available.

while there is a cable to the gearbox from the shift mechanism which looks to be a major PITA for the swap I suspect that all the gear functionality is electronic so I was hoping that swapping the unit and side display for one from a non ADS car should give back the D/S selection.

looks like there are 2 main variants, early ones have D and S as separate positions and later ones D/S as a toggle pulling back on the lever. I doubt I can get away with the later version but the earlier one might just be a simple swap.

I have and use Vag-com so recoding I can do but if anyone has any experience on compatibility it would be a huge help.

while I do have access to the workshop manual to see how much fun this will be I dont have the parts side to check compatible parts for the vehicle so before I head off looking for parts on ebay I am hoping someone else may have been mad enough to try this or unlucky enough to have had to replace the mechanism

·
Registered
Audi SQ5 2015
1,831 Posts
So you can select Sport / Dynamic mode from the Audi Drive Select on the MMI or ADS button on the centre dash, but you can't select Sport mode from the gear select lever? No experience on this but sounds like an interesting project to solve.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats it exactly.

No drive/sport selection from the gearshift at all.

Its not a huge issue but having played with VAG motors i suspect it may be an easy swap for a selector mechanism with that function.

·
Still Game
4,569 Posts
I have mine set to individual with sport mode gearbox without loud exhaust. The noise gets a bit tiring for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most of the time drive is fine but i had a tuareg previously and on occasoon i do miss being able to knock it into sport if the road permits

I wouldnt want to be in sport mode all the time and ADS just isnt as much use as expected and is a disappointment. Not having sport on the shifter is one of those typically Audi decisions that makes no sense

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol agreed but they dont feel like you get the same mapping as in sport...

Not sure but paddles and manual on shifter feel different depending on gearbox mode being drive or sport

·
Still Game
4,569 Posts
Paddles are 100% manual, i.e. have no relation to drive mode. On my car manual will not allow you to exceed max revs which is higher than change in sport or lower than change in Drive. After a while the box will revert back to the auto mode as previously set.

·
Registered
Audi SQ5 2015
1,831 Posts
Paddles are 100% manual, i.e. have no relation to drive mode. On my car manual will not allow you to exceed max revs which is higher than change in sport or lower than change in Drive. After a while the box will revert back to the auto mode as previously set.
Hmm... Maybe I should try my paddles for once

·
Registered
Audi SQ5 2015
1,831 Posts
It is fun for a change and can be quicker when you need kick down to overtake .... Lewis Hamilton
Which Drive Select Mode do you normally run? ...and for a quick overtake (I guess depends which mode is your standard) is this quicker than tapping the gear selector back for Sports Mode?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I flick to sports prior to overtake. Then kick down does the job. Paddles I generally use for before downhill. Manual holds for a sufficient time.

·
Still Game
4,569 Posts
Which Drive Select Mode do you normally run? ...and for a quick overtake (I guess depends which mode is your standard) is this quicker than tapping the gear selector back for Sports Mode?
I normally run individual with sport mode gears and comfort exhaust. Tapping it back for sport mode from drive still takes a fraction longer to kick down. In reality, I only use the paddles occasionally and just for the fun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts