Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have had my auto s line plus since 19th of march and it has just had to go back to the garage as wife said she could her a noise which she felt was something lose underneath. The car has done 1500 miles of which I have probably done 500. Just had the call from the garage to say they think it needs a new gearbox.
My question is could it be my thought. I have the auto and when ever I drive it I like to see what mpg I can get out of it which to be honest is only about 32mpg or on the trip computer from the day I picked up 29mpg. Anyway I always feel life it holds on to the gear to long before going to the next one so im always swapping it into manual and knocking it up the gears to drop the revs quicker and keep the mpg down. So in short I am always flicking between one or the other.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's a brand new car with 1500 miles on the clock. If the gearbox has failed already then there must have been a manufacturing fault.

I would have thought that the auto box would be programmed so that whatever input you give, the engine and gearbox is protected.

I would go on the offensive and ask them what compensation they are going to give you and what hire car they are going to let you have FOC whilst it is being repaired.

Mpg does improve with age (see other posts on this forum)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I agree with DCA. Get the dealer to sort you out with a nice loan car.

My brother had the gearbox replaced on his S5 last year and he had a LWB A8 for a few weeks.

·
Still Game
4,617 Posts
Gearbox should be able to cope with even the most ham fisted driver, for example mine will not change if I ask it to change up @ 2,000 rpm.

What engine do you have?
32 mph from 2.0 TDI is dire, but pretty good for 2.0TFSI.

·
Registered
29 Posts
As has been reported, whilst the mpg does improve slightly 32mpg is about right. Interestingly the car produces better mpg on the smaller 18 inch winter wheels than the 20 inch Summer options.

·
Banned
842 Posts
As has been reported, whilst the mpg does improve slightly 32mpg is about right. Interestingly the car produces better mpg on the smaller 18 inch winter wheels than the 20 inch Summer options.
Also depends on where you are driving. Mine achieves 40mpg on the motorway quite regularly but obviously this is with cruise on and sat in 7th.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hi I have had my auto s line plus since 19th of march and it has just had to go back to the garage as wife said she could her a noise which she felt was something lose underneath. The car has done 1500 miles of which I have probably done 500. Just had the call from the garage to say they think it needs a new gearbox.
My question is could it be my thought. I have the auto and when ever I drive it I like to see what mpg I can get out of it which to be honest is only about 32mpg or on the trip computer from the day I picked up 29mpg. Anyway I always feel life it holds on to the gear to long before going to the next one so im always swapping it into manual and knocking it up the gears to drop the revs quicker and keep the mpg down. So in short I am always flicking between one or the other.
The auto box electronics are set to be in the correct gear at the correct RPM/speed and drivers foot. It won't change up a gear as in coasting, or low power demand, as the brain has been looking at driving habits. Changing gear in manual mode should not harm the gearbox as it is more likely to change up rather than down, all things considered there is a manufacturing fault in the gearbox.
In a previous post someone car is now delayed from September to next year because of gearbox issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts