·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Interesting article, nice SQ5 too
thanks for sharing

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
This will be my last Audi then - tech integration is important to me, and as an Apple man this is bad news to me, I expect my phone to work properly with the car and the already poor iPhone integration is surely only set to get worse based on this news.
BMW have gained a customer back...

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Most of the issues are caused by apple....
I spend more time fixing their crap than anything else these days.

Hmmm, lets see if the iTunes clipart bug i reported 2 months ago is fixed? nope...
Have they sorted the cases out so they work with chargers? nope... official fix is "charge the device naked", shocking,
Have they patched keynotes so it doesn't crash my phone yet? nope...
Faulty battery on one of our 5Ss?
Compass is totally inaccurate, hardware or software? who knows...
Random imsg fails/not sending to some contacts?...
iCloud keychain forgetting entries or ignoring them?...
Random crashes and looping reboots 3 or 4 at time?
Safari being less stable than ie - thanks apple, tab browsing is pretty much common these days!
Sure i use to be able to sync maps to iOS, not anymore...
Spinning beach ball - just love to watch you spin, for no reason...
Don't get me started on predictive text and spelling...

And these are just the ones that have plagued me!
Bring back Steve..

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
I ran a Galaxy S3 for 6 months along side an iPhone 4 then 5, the S3 is under my bed and has been for 4 months...

It had WAY more bugs and issues than any iPhone I have every used!

No device/OS is perfect, but for me at least iOS/OSX is WAY better than Android/Windows by some way at the moment!

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
5 ipad, 3 iphone 5s and a collection of many other older devices.
I for one am not getting anymore, they just don't work.

The most stable device i have right now is a windows laptop, only pain is the monthly updates.
Oh and ATV has just crashed again. Totally wank. There's no way i'd buy a car with this crap built-in.

My hope is Audi stick with what they currently have.
Apple update - satnav has just put me in a canal or the patch means the sunroof won't close and apples response is its normal for a sun roof to stick open. Try using an umbrella.. Thanks, seems reasonable..

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Looking a bit further into distance though...I think if i were looking so far I'd hope to see an M4 Gran Coupe, that will drag me back to BMW. At least now i have three more years to enjoy without further crap involving Androids

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Jose, the Galaxy S3 has had a significant s/w update in the form of the Jelly Bean 4.3 upgrade it is really quite resonably robust based on the last couple of weeks use. Try updating the phone via Samsung Kies and see what you get?

Android - Somewhere in the back of my mind I recall reading that Harman-Becker who designed the Audi 3G MMI navigation system used a heavily doctored version of Android as the foundation. The system certainly uses 2 Nvidia processors, one is a Tegra chip and does the 3D map graphics and the other looks after the display of the car systems. Those of us who have Mobile Connect High as an option can vouch for the seamless Google Earth/Internet access integration...especially via the S3.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Jose, the Galaxy S3 has had a significant s/w update in the form of the Jelly Bean 4.3 upgrade it is really quite resonably robust based on the last couple of weeks use. Try updating the phone via Samsung Kies and see what you get?

Android - Somewhere in the back of my mind I recall reading that Harman-Becker who designed the Audi 3G MMI navigation system used a heavily doctored version of Android as the foundation. The system certainly uses 2 Nvidia processors, one is a Tegra chip and does the 3D map graphics and the other looks after the display of the car systems. Those of us who have Mobile Connect High as an option can vouch for the seamless Google Earth/Internet access integration...especially via the S3.
May dig it out and take a look - it drove me insane before tho, 3 times it would no longer turn on and required a full factory reset, and at that point i gave up on it.

The MMI is almost certainly based on Linux/Unix in some form - basically everything is, from your Sky box to the Playstation to of course Android - Linux is based on Unix, on which Apple's OSX/iOS is based...
If Microsoft had butted out 30 years ago it would a lot easier to get everything working together as everything would be Unix based! Techno rant over!

Edit:
Quick google confirms...
The latest 3G MMI system uses nVidia Tegra based hardware, running a OS called QNX, which is basically like unix for embedded systems. The new Audi A3 actually has the hardware on a removable blade for post-purchase telematics upgrades. Very forward-looking, IMO.
http://www.qnx.com/news/pr_4192_1.html

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
QNX is the company, the OS is RTOS and it is owned by Blackberry!

Re MS - i think you're view of technology history is skewed.
MS are directly/indirectly responsible for most of the tech revolution with limited compute power.. if it wasnt for MS's 1997 bailout you would have no idevices - they are ironically the starters/funders of the so called apple"irevolution".

I work for a silicon valley tech company and deal with both companies.
Strange how perception becomes reality... one is seen as evil, the other is good, totally in contra to the business model/practices employed.

Q5 uses Tegra 2, the new/higher cars use the Tegra 3 (A7/8) is my understanding.
Much better systems, no doubt these will appear in the Q5 MK2.

examples of ned gen have been seen in the e-tron, expect the MK3 TT to get the first version of the "new vision"

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
The kernel is RTOS (Real Time Operating System, many OSes are based on it) but the OS is called QNX, developed by Quantum Software Systems who were acquired by Blackberry 3 years ago and renamed QNX Software Systems. The OS is actually 32 years old and has always been called QNX...

In ~20 years of computer use I've never got along with Windows, always preferred Linux and now Mac.
Completely agree that the business practices of Apple are shady at best, but frankly I don't care - I let their software/hardware do the talking.
I also realise that MS have pushed tech forward in many ways over the years - but I still don't like their OS/Software! I'm also pretty sure that if they hadn't made these leaps, someone else would have!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
May dig it out and take a look - it drove me insane before tho, 3 times it would no longer turn on and required a full factory reset, and at that point i gave up on it.

The MMI is almost certainly based on Linux/Unix in some form - basically everything is, from your Sky box to the Playstation to of course Android - Linux is based on Unix, on which Apple's OSX/iOS is based...
If Microsoft had butted out 30 years ago it would a lot easier to get everything working together as everything would be Unix based! Techno rant over!

Edit:
Quick google confirms...
The latest 3G MMI system uses nVidia Tegra based hardware, running a OS called QNX, which is basically like unix for embedded systems. The new Audi A3 actually has the hardware on a removable blade for post-purchase telematics upgrades. Very forward-looking, IMO.
http://www.qnx.com/news/pr_4192_1.html
Thanks Jose, the Android 4.3 update is a whopping 450mb so a cable connection is quicker. Aside from forgetting its relationship with the SQ and needing a reboot occasionally to be reminded my S3 has been rock-solid for the last 2 years, my wife has one too with the same experience. The 4.3 update really helps on the battery management front too.

I'm quite impressed with Android these days, the base platform having matured from distinctly flaky to super solid in the last couple of years. I ditched anything 'Apple' a 3 years ago having got fed up with the cynical arrogance of the company that charges a premium prices for products that are no longer innovative in any tangible way and although it's not fashionable to hold such views I won't be going back...

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
+1 Snow Man and Sq5john

Never had an issue with either Android or Samsung so I don't have a real problem with Audi jumping into bed with Google. I often wonder if Apples insistence on tying you exclusively to their sub-culture doesn't work against them?

With regard to MS, as far as I am aware all of the critical systems (including control, fire and gas and Emergency Shut-down) that we employ at work are based on a Microsoft operating system - In over 30 years I can't recall a single instance when an Apple OS has been used in a critically important system. Does that say anything?

·
Banned
2,240 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I was going to say you should see some stuff announced this week, then I noticed thats a link about CES. D'oh!
BMW have started rolling out (last year i think) extended apple integration via apps but i think the iOSitC program is a step too far. its too derisive to pick iOS as the cars platform for fear of upsetting the 70% of people who don't use or have iPhones/devices. Then you have the other issue of all the money and investment BMW has put into its platform (i drive) which is actually good; would just be thrown away/lost.

Apple don't play well with others, and to put iOSitc in a car where you have mixed devices, its never going to work well. (IMO)

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Jose I had same with my x5, very cool and gimmicky but if i'm honest i never used it!
Will be interesting to see where all this tech goes with Audi by the time the new Q5 comes out, I assume from you Snow Man that you said it's going to debut a lot of new tech on the TT?

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The video like definable screens yeah, TT will have or get a big jump in tech (plus a holder for the hairdryer and curlers - maybe even a rainbow badge dispenser) R8 will also get additional stuff with the new model thats due next year.

We might see the direction in the new Q7, that could well debut first and would use the higher end systems which the mid range are closer to rather than the bottom end TT/A3.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts