Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing I missed when changing from the Touareg to the Q5 was the lack of an option for a full-sized spare. Now I know that in the civilized northern hemisphere you are never more than a brief walk away from someone who is just waiting to sell you a new tyre of whatever size you happen to want - and I am sure they are open 24 hours every day, but here in the colonies there are not many tyre shops that sell anything bigger than a Toyota Landcruiser 16 inch tyre once you get out of the major centres, and of course the major centres are all around 1000km apart!

So, I checked the space under the floor in the Q5 boot before buying, and found that it is a big enough diameter to fit a full-sized spare! Just not high enough....
So, removing the floor piece by undoing the chrome tie-downs revealed that there are steel spacers holding that floor in place. I had a set of 100mm additional spacers made up with matching holes / threads and now my boot floor is a little higher than it was, and my spare is always there.
I bought a strip of automotive trim carpet from the local hardware and glued it to a piece of ply, and this covers the vertical gap at the rear.

Overall, I am very happy with the result - and I'll post some pictures soon...

cheers

·
Registered
963 Posts
Good idea

Look forward to the pics

·
Registered
9 Posts
Unfortunatly doing so would in many countries void the car fulfilling the Goverment regulations in terms of, e.g., Environment protection: acceptance tests are done with a strictly defined weight and equipment, so a Q5 found with a spare wheel different from the original one (weight and size like) could be considered "Not corresponding to the standard, thus not allowed to circulate, thus not covered by insurance........cold sweat down my neck!!

Does it make sense? Well, this is another question......

Cheers

·
Registered
240 Posts
Unfortunatly doing so would in many countries void the car fulfilling the Goverment regulations in terms of, e.g., Environment protection: acceptance tests are done with a strictly defined weight and equipment, so a Q5 found with a spare wheel different from the original one (weight and size like) could be considered "Not corresponding to the standard, thus not allowed to circulate, thus not covered by insurance........cold sweat down my neck!!

Does it make sense? Well, this is another question......

Cheers
Are you for real?

Do you think I should remove the umbrella from my boot, just in case?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are you for real?

Do you think I should remove the umbrella from my boot, just in case?
Well, that's what I was told by salespersons at:
Toyota,
Mazda,
Audi (2)

As an example in Milano you can only get to downtown with a EURO5-cum-antiparticulate-filter diesel car; in order to have a model approved (Q5 up to last march was EURO4) many technical problem are to be tackled and many solutions found. At the end the "model car" passes the exam in very strict conditions, including weight; the papers for all those cars will contain the data of the tested vehicle (weight, consumpyion, CO2 production etc. and the indicators derived by those numbers (e.g: EURO 5, which is not a single phisical parameter but the result from many).

So, I can imagine that 25 / 40 kilos of weight in the test car COULD make the difference.

Of course your umbrella was NOT in the test car.

Cheers!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IIRC, the space-and-weight-saving spare tyre weighed in at around 17kg, and the full-sized spare around 24kg. Not a big deal. Ill check-weigh them soon. Also, sorry - I haven't found my photos yet to post...

I understand that the unmodified vehicle is tested for compliance, but it is specificed with a capacity to carry people (5) and presumably even if you drive into central Milano you can go shopping and put your purchases in the boot. I choose to save weight by removing the original spare, and to carry my purchase (full-sized spare) in the boot as I travel. I also sensibly tie it down.

·
Registered
25 Posts
moonan could you please post some pictures of the full size spare in the boot.
I'm considering doing the same for long trips if the existing floor mat sits well on the tyre (without raising the floor)?
Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
moonan could you please post some pictures of the full size spare in the boot.
I'm considering doing the same for long trips if the existing floor mat sits well on the tyre (without raising the floor)?
Thanks
Hi,
Here are some pix of the finished job.
Effectively what I did was to add 4 spacers, 100mm high, to the existing mounting offstands for the boot floor. You can see one of these (painted grey) in the detail of the 3rd photo.. This raised the floor by 100mm and I then added a vertical trim at the rear made of a piece of slightly curved ply with grey automotive carpet from the local hardware shop glued to it.
You'll note that the subwoofer has had to go - but if you have 18 inch wheels you would be able to refit it inside the wheel (the space-saver is an 18). My wheels are 17 inch and so it doesn't fit.
Vehicle Trunk Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Vehicle door Auto part Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Vehicle door Tints and shades

cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Neil,

I'm in Oz too. Very impressed with your installation! Where did you get the rim from? And which after market GPS/rev cam did you get?

John

·
Registered
18 Posts
SUPER Idea as I have replaced the stock 19" wheels and tires with aftermarket 20"...

So the spare wouldn't work for me....
(Well, it wouldn't work for the wife either since it's her car,
but I did put a can of that horrible fix a flat in there for emergencies....)

This is my next project - sell the 19" stock wheels/tires and get a 20" plain jane wheel and tire...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Neil,

I'm in Oz too. Very impressed with your installation! Where did you get the rim from? And which after market GPS/rev cam did you get?

John
HI John,
I insisted on a "5th wheel" when I bought the car, so it was included in the price negotiations. The dealer bought it from Audi Australia spare parts. WRT the gps/camera, I have imported this directly from a factory in China, adapted it to suit local conditions, added the camera (also a direct factory import), and found suitable software etc. If you're interested drop me an email (moonanav AT pacific.net.au) as I have put together some kits of everything you need for a DIY install!

cheers

·
Registered
578 Posts
Great post! Quick question, how does the spare stay in place, I.e. Does it bolt down?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Looked at this the weekend: the anchor point to secure the spare is not in the centre of the boot and therefore it's in the wrong place for a larger wheel - you can easily remove it but you can't easily secure a second wheel to the car.

·
Registered
55 Posts
just like to say that this is an excellent diy mod and ill be looking at doing this soon. i too dont like the glue package thing so i bought a full size 19 inch spare. well done buddy

·
Registered
55 Posts
i have nearly completed this mod today. its pretty easy to do if your handy at diy. i shall also post pics tomorrow when its finished. onion

1 - 20 of 20 Posts