Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently ran my fuel tank down to empty( I know It's not the done thing) as I was doing a really long trip down south and wanted to try it on one tank... only 15 miles left showing on DIS.....

The quoted capacity Is 75 litres.... I brimmed her up and only managed to get 66 litres In....where's the other 9 litres (2 gallon) going? I thought when the warning light came on (75 miles left) their was only a gallon left In the tank..so at 15 miles???

Was quite happy as I'd had 600 miles out of the tank..ie 40mpg...but a bit surprised at It only took 66 litres.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I put 67.5 litres in last time with the gauge showing 40 miles remaining after a long steady drive. Admittedly it seems like a small 75 litre tank, but very happy with the range overall.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Same here, ran mine to 5 miles remaining on DIS to see how big the tank was and could only get 66 litres in and that's with filling it to the absolute brim.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've run mine 11 miles after DIS went to zero and managed to squeeze in 77 litres.
Neil.....Your a braver man than me to run after DIS has went to zero..

I take It you meant 67 litres.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Yes, strange how they're all 66-67 litres and one is 77 ??!!

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
Audi seem to be quite conservative with their mile indicator. I drove another 22 very nervous miles after my DIS went to zero.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I tend to use a tank at a time rather than continual topping up and usually get 66 - 68 litres in at fill up. I did get 70 litres in a few weeks ago but had driven several miles beyond 0 in the DIS display. Typically in the past I used to reckon on 50 miles being pretty safe after the light came on with any Audi/VW and it would usually take somewhere near the stated capacity, occasionally a 2 or 3 litres over, to brim it. Assuming that the Dept of Weights & Measures do enforce the calibration of pumps with any errant fuel sellers one can assume that the DIS in Q5s is set to be very pessimistic. I am tempted to keep a gallon in the boot and see how far beyond zero on the DIS that it will run as it should be at least another 30 - 40 miles on over 5 litres assuming the tank does hold 75 litres.

Some members may recall Mr Clarkson trying to see if he could drive a 4.0 or 4.2 V8 Diesel A8 from London to Edinburgh (800+ miles) and back on a tank of diesel and he did it with the DIS reading zero for, I think 50 odd miles, before reaching London and refueling. Apparently there were still a few litres left in it.

My experience is that VAG cars tend to have a large margin for error in their fuel indication so you are unikely to run out unexpectedly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
No I meant 77. It seems people filling up shortly after the light comes on get 67 to 68 litres in. I was about 75 to 80 m
iles beyond that.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just ran my laest tank down to 5 miles showing on DIS....could only squeeze In 66 litres...

Either the tank capacity Is wrong or there is 2 gallon (80+ miles) left to after DIS goes to zero....

Got 630 miles from last tank...43mpg....engine loosing up nicely...

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Looks like Audi have erred on the side of safety with regard to capacity, would be pretty darned annoying if it was the other way....

·
Registered
596 Posts
I recall reading somewhere that VAG do indeed err on the conservative side for fuel tank capacity readings.
The explanation was apparently quite simple - all down to the ability to cover long distances on (fast) german autobahns / motorways, relative to the number / location of service stations available.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts