Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, great to read all of your views on the Q5 - Im seriously considering getting one as a company car next April (sadly a few months away now). I have to look at things such as emissions and miles per gallon etc - I'm thinking of getting either the 2.0 or 3.0 diesel automatic. I've driven both and definately loved the 3.0's power. What are your thoughts on the power in the 2.0 automatic (have only driven the manual), does it struggle?, how many miles to the gallon are you getting etc. Look forward to your feedback. Cheers!!

·
Super Moderator
1,047 Posts
Hi everyone, great to read all of your views on the Q5 - Im seriously considering getting one as a company car next April (sadly a few months away now). I have to look at things such as emissions and miles per gallon etc - I'm thinking of getting either the 2.0 or 3.0 diesel automatic. I've driven both and definately loved the 3.0's power. What are your thoughts on the power in the 2.0 automatic (have only driven the manual), does it struggle?, how many miles to the gallon are you getting etc. Look forward to your feedback. Cheers!!
Hi thomas,
I have the 2litre auto,done 1500 miles and we are getting 37-38 mpg with all round driving conditions and some heavy right foot driving (just to see what it was like
).I am more than happy with the power,Think it will be more of what you have come from to the Q.

Rich

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Thomas,

I have got the 3l and have done about 1750 miles.

So far the overall fuel average is reading 34mpg and for the first 500 miles I was loaded up with camping gear and bikes on the roof driving over the Welsh mountains. On mainly motorway runs I have reached 40mpg on a round trip of 200 miles.
Ok this is on the computer but I cant be bothered to check it out manually, I am sure it will be down on this a bit but sometimes ignorance is bliss.
I have stuck it in sport quite a bit as well and it pulls great so I am realy pleased I went for this engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi thomas,
I have the 2litre auto,done 1500 miles and we are getting 37-38 mpg with all round driving conditions and some heavy right foot driving (just to see what it was like
).I am more than happy with the power,Think it will be more of what you have come from to the Q.

Rich
Thanks Rich - the power 2.0 I drove was pretty good I must confess. Driving a BMW 330i at the moment, strangely the Q5 3.0 automatic I also test drove seemed faster than my 'beamer'!?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Thomas,

I have got the 3l and have done about 1750 miles.

So far the overall fuel average is reading 34mpg and for the first 500 miles I was loaded up with camping gear and bikes on the roof driving over the Welsh mountains. On mainly motorway runs I have reached 40mpg on a round trip of 200 miles.
Ok this is on the computer but I cant be bothered to check it out manually, I am sure it will be down on this a bit but sometimes ignorance is bliss.
I have stuck it in sport quite a bit as well and it pulls great so I am realy pleased I went for this engine.
Hi - thanks for your reply. Thankfully it looks like everyone is pleased with their Q5. Going to push for the 3.0, hopefully company wont mind the lower mileage than Im achieving with my present car!?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Good choice.....but then I'm slightly biased

·
Registered
44 Posts
The DIS computer on my 3L is very slightly optimistic when checked against brim to brim figures. I get (real) consumption of around 30mpg for local (but not much urban) driving and recently got 38mpg with a couple of long rural drives when taking my time. That's pretty good for a largish 3L vehicle I think. As for the difference in driving between the 2 and 3 litre, let's just say I wouldn't swap, they are almost 2 different cars.

MartynC

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The DIS computer on my 3L is very slightly optimistic when checked against brim to brim figures. I get (real) consumption of around 30mpg for local (but not much urban) driving and recently got 38mpg with a couple of long rural drives when taking my time. That's pretty good for a largish 3L vehicle I think. As for the difference in driving between the 2 and 3 litre, let's just say I wouldn't swap, they are almost 2 different cars.

MartynC
hi Martin - thanks for the above info. Would def prefer the 3.0, I'll just have to see what I can get away with?!

·
Registered
279 Posts
My 2.0tdi (170) S-tronic has plenty of performance for this type of car, if in Sport mode - feels a bit sluggish in Drive?

However, I am dissapointed with the fuel consumption - currently showing 32.8mpg over 3,600 miles. We did drive in Sport mode for the first 3,000 miles to get used to the comparative "lack of performance", but have recently switched to Drive to see if the fuel consumption improves?

I did do a steady 30 miles on Sunday, rigidly sticking to speed limits and not planting the throttle to the rug - it was showing about 44mpg, which is more like it?

The car hasn't really done any distance work yet, so perhaps that is the reason for the duff consumption, although we live in a semi-rural area, so not city driving?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 2.0 TDI stronic 170 bhp...I get about 38 - 39 mpg (580 miles per fill up)based on brim to brim.....If money was no object, i think everyone would opt for the 3.0l TDI... However pound for pound the 2.0l was better for me. I test drove both but i couldn't justify the additional 8K price + running and repair costs for that bit extra power.

I think the 2.0l is powerful enough and im very happy with the economy. It cruises at 80-90 mph and is fast enough away from traffic lights to match most cars. Granted you would notice the difference in a drag race.

·
Registered
480 Posts
My 2.0tdi (170) S-tronic has plenty of performance for this type of car, if in Sport mode - feels a bit sluggish in Drive?

However, I am dissapointed with the fuel consumption - currently showing 32.8mpg over 3,600 miles. We did drive in Sport mode for the first 3,000 miles to get used to the comparative "lack of performance", but have recently switched to Drive to see if the fuel consumption improves?

I did do a steady 30 miles on Sunday, rigidly sticking to speed limits and not planting the throttle to the rug - it was showing about 44mpg, which is more like it?

The car hasn't really done any distance work yet, so perhaps that is the reason for the duff consumption, although we live in a semi-rural area, so not city driving?
Is the S-tronic not as economical as Audi would like us to believe? How do you find the S-tronic? I keep reading differing stories re the gearbox and its poor economy

·
Registered
279 Posts
The box is fine - smooth enough in Drive, if a little sluggish.

Performance is better in Sport, but can be a little jerky when not pressing on?

As my earlier post, fuel consumption (for me) is a bit of a let down.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I did my first reasonably long drive today from Scotland down to Wilmslow about 220 miles and averaged 35.3 mpg in my 3.0l tdi with 1200 miles on the clock. The engine is freeing up nicely and is great for cruising down the motorway at just a little above the limit. I am pleased with that figure although i need to confirm this with a brim to brim fill up. I am getting just under 500 miles from a tank of fuel which again i am pleased with, its a company car so i am not paying the fuel but i hate filling up.

I will do another check the next time i fill up to see what i get from the tank and measure the mpg.

·
Registered
963 Posts
500 miles from a tank is good

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello,

2.0tdi 170 Stronic

I am a bit disappointed with my wife's Q5 to be honest, in both power and economy.

Its done 1800 miles now and is getting 27 mpg which is about 380 miles from a tank which is around £90.
Computer says 29mpg, 27 from full to full calculation. 90% town driving and fairly light foot.

I also don't think its that quick either, her last car was an E92 320d Msport auto with 177bhp and it was in a different class with both power and economy.

If he 3.0 is an option I would try and hold out for that, although I would have thought a 6cyl could be even worse on fuel.

Stuart.

·
Registered
211 Posts
2.0TDI S-tronic; for the first ~1500 km I have 10.2 l/100km which is 27.7 mpg... A bit disappointing, though I drive 95% urban and in heavy traffics. I had only one chance so far to drive on longer distance (~250kms) and for this trip only it was 8.9 l/100km (31.7 mpg), which is not the best in class either. I had similar mileage with my previous passat b6, which was 2.0 TFSI (turbocharged petrol, 200 bhp) and was much more vigorous :) 170bhp is not too much for this car definitely and I'm missing a bit of acceleration. Just need to get used to new car that is different by definition... I slowly started to like cruising around

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Stuart

I have the 3.0 V6 TDI with around 1700 miles on the clock. No complaints here, the V6 engine is brilliant, 90% town driving with the odd zip up the by-pass and I am getting 32-34 MPG, with the on-board computer not too far off my calculations. Really nice power delivery, with no particular acceleration issues as reported on the forum. Really pleased!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Economy is so dependent on your driving conditions and style that it's difficult to guage much from individuals experience. That is why the standardized economy figures that the manufacturers must quote are the best way to compare consumption between cars. It doesn't mean that you will achieve the manufacturers figures but at least you can be a little more confident that a vehicle quoted as getting 10 l/100km will get better economy than one quoted as 12 l/100km.

For the record our 3.0TDI returns between 11.5 and 12 l/100km (23.5 - 24.5 mpg) in 100% city driving (calculated) and this is achieved with a reported average speed of under 20 km/h! On the open road this easily drops to around 7 l/100km (40 mpg).

·
Registered
132 Posts
Our 2.0 TFSI is returning 20 MPG during the first 1400 miles. 100% City driving (London traffic).
Computer says average is 22.0 MPG. My BMW 530i is returning 18.0 MPG for the same use / drivers.

We are hoping the figure will improve slightly as we compile the miles and in warm weather, but to be honest, if we get 21 MPG we'll be happy given the weight of the car and the excellent performance

1 - 20 of 35 Posts