Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

This morning I unlocked the car and started it up and locked the door manually while I was busy de-icing both my car and the wifes.

Brushed off the snow of both cars and spayed a de-icer on the windows of both before scraping off the ice off both cars.

After I had completed this job i then tried to open the drivers door of my car with the key and it was frozen!

Had to get the bucket of hand warm water and pour it over the door to un-freeze the lock!

Yes, I felt really stupid as I should have use vasiline on the lock when i washed the car at the weekend!

Moral of the story - always keep a can of spray oil / lubricant in a convenient place in case of ice or add vaseline to the lock after cleaning trhe car.

Has this happened to anyone else or am I a muppet!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Greg,

you put as smile on my face!

the trick is to put a small smear of vaseline jelly on the lock or silicon spray in the lock to loosen it up.

Usually my cars are spotless as i have OCD when it comes to cleaning and waxed including underneath it!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Missile,

I split the key into two, started engine to warm it up inside with the fob part and locked the door with the key part.

Tried to unlock ther car with key and the spare key fob but was not aware that once the key is engaged in the engine the spare key does not work.

I also have the car set up so only the drivers door is unlocked.

the solution is simple but I forgot to do it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts