Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Am I doing something wrong?

Diesel engine, -5 outside temp, Supplementary heater is on AUTO, front screen defrost button pressed, heating on high, de-pressed the ac button (no ac light showing)and the result is:

No feeling of any extra heat to the inside from the supplementary heater, the front screen seems to take an age to defrost possibly the longest of any car I have ever driven. So for this reason I just know I am doing something wrong, because the rear window is clear in seconds.

What is the normal waiting time to defrost the front screen on a diesel with the supplementary heater? Oh, yes I do have an ice scraper just if someone has the need for sarcasm.

Thank you in advance

Jason

·
Registered
240 Posts
It depends on where the visibility issue is: If it is on the inside (quite possible) then your A/C needs to be ON not off. If it's on the outside then there is nothing else I can suggest.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There is no problem with the inside and mist, the problem is that there does not seem to be any heat going to the front screen with this supplementary heater. So it takes a very long time to clear the ice from the screen.
As I understand, the supplementary heater is an instant electric heater because for the diesel engine car they take a long time to heat up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Jason - Mine also seems to take a long time to clear the screen. I also have a manual and have tried the front heater with the a/c on and off. This does not seem to make any difference and cold air blows out whilst i get busy with the ice scraper.

The car only seems to warm up after about half a mile of driving so i would be interested on other peoples experinces clearing the front screen with the blowers as it looks like we will get plenty of practice over the next few weeks.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Supplementary heater as you call it doesn't actually warm the cabin. It's to help the engine warm up quicker (assuming it's the same as the one on the RRS)which should help fuel ecconomy and the interior heaters to work more quickly.

My first impressions of de-icing the front screen is good. I thought it might be very slow compared to the RRS with a heated screen. Back screen is super fast.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jason - Mine also seems to take a long time to clear the screen. I also have a manual and have tried the front heater with the a/c on and off. This does not seem to make any difference and cold air blows out whilst i get busy with the ice scraper.

The car only seems to warm up after about half a mile of driving so i would be interested on other peoples experinces clearing the front screen with the blowers as it looks like we will get plenty of practice over the next few weeks.
hankscorpion

Do you have 3 zone by any chance?
By the time I get to work the car is just warm enough, I work 12 miles from where I live. I have tried many combinations of button pressing but with the same result. I have the 3 zone and have the rear vent closed, so I may open that and set that to the hottest setting.

I have also noticed over the past two weeks I have lost about 6 mpg each way to and from work. I am putting that down to the cold at the moment but it has not improved since new 6k miles ago.

Jason

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have the single zone (2l engine) and have the same problem as Jason. It only just gets warm as I get to the station which is a 10min drive. Front screen defrost is useless.

it would seem that the 3 zone climate control (standard on the 3l engines in high spec) must add some additional grunt to the heating.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I'm having same issue so will be waiting hoping you get a reply.

·
Still Game
4,772 Posts
You might be waiting a while :-( This post is 11 years old.
I believe there was a recall to improve the supplementary heater. You might want to check with your local Audi Dealer? He will confirm if there is an upgrade available your vehicle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts