Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Firstly I apologize for the length of this post and don't blame you if you can't be bothered to read it. I am new to the forum having decided to trade in my 57 plate S5 for a New SQ5 at the end of July. Bought the Mrs a new Q3 S-Line in September 2012 and in general have been quite pleased with it (As I was with the S5). My dealer has handled all sales reasonably professionally and loaned me an SQ5 for a day which I have to say was very impressive. Only hesitation I had was they told me that the SQ5 wouldn't be available until end of Feb/beginning of March 2014 and whilst they were happy to take S5 in P/X, that needed to be done by end July leaving me without my car for 7 months! after a lot of deliberation I did just that and was told that the order would be put in within a couple of days and they would confirm the build date for a delivery estimate of 1st week of March. After days of being told that the order couldn't be processed due to computer problems, the salesman went on vacation and I confronted one of the managers to be told that the sales guy had sourced a spec amendable build from one of their other branches with a guaranteed delivery of 1st week of March 2014 (before he left on his vacation). I was a little surprised that he didn't let me know but accepted this and was grateful as the manager said that if he hadn't found this car they wouldn't have been able to put in an order until Jan 2014 and then who knows when the build would be. Salesman return from vacation and emails me to say he's back and it looks like the office sorted the problem in his absence. My response was to express some concerned to the salesman and I decide to call Audi UK to check that the order had indeed been processed. They asked for an order number so I gave them the number on my paperwork/order form only to be told that it wasn't an Audi number which starts with a '2'. They found my order but said it wasn't confirmed! I explained the situation and Audi UK contacted the dealer and informed me that there was a second order that had been submitted for me that had a true Audi Order number (which they gave me). When I asked them to email me confirming this with a build date they couldn't and instead contacted the dealers again requesting they email them with a confirmed delivery date of 1st March. After several weeks they phoned to say that they had a letter from the dealer and sent me a copy via email. This letter states a delivery of approx. the end of March 2014. I was less than pleased with the date being moved and the fact that it is approximate but questioned whether this means that Audi Germany have accepted the order. According to Audi UK Audi won't confirm a build date until sometime closer to March (lets say November'ish is what they feel is acceptable). I've seen a few people on this forum with moving delivery dates. Am simply amazed in this day and age that motor manufactures and dealers feel that they can treat customers in such a way. If I have to wait for a car that I want that's fine but surely dealers and Audi can get their act together and give the customer answers that have a level of integrity. Seems like I either wait to see if there is any truth in the March delivery date or insist in my deposit back. I can't totally blame the dealer as Audi is the one being vague on delivery date and leaving the dealer to run the risk. How can any dealer sell a car (particularly when a P/X is involved) when they have to tell a customer that Audi won't confirm that they will build it until they chose to? Is anyone having similar problems with the SQ5? I've only ever seen one on the road and that was my demonstrator!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Hi 'SQ5 on its way some day' ;-)
Firstly welcome to the forum! There is plenty of info on here that will help you get through your long wait.
Many of us have had similar problems, mine are a little different to others as i managed to grab a dealer demonstrator order and so I will be expecting a November delivery; however by the poor customer service and lack of communication from the dealer when I ordered back in June/end of May I only found out my build date one week ago! And yet that wasn't even a confirmed build date as the dealer has said 'it is subject to change hopefully in a positive direction.' If you don't mind me asking what dealer are you based at? I am at SG Smith Wimbledon Audi and they seem to not have as much trouble as others like Inchape Audi?
As you are probably aware it will be well worth the wait so do keep pestering your Audi dealer as they may give in and offer better. I tried squeezing a loan car out of my dealer as they promised September delivery (3 month gap in between selling my BMW X5 and collected SQ5) and even though it didn't work they were happy to negotiate more freely on discounts etc.
Best of luck!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Welcome SQ5 on its way some day and welcome.
It is very frustrating the wait for a Q5 and it has been like this since its launch almost. I remember ordering my first in January and having to wait until August for delivery.
After an off piste with an Evoque (I sent it back) I ordered an SQ5 with the usual extras and agreed a delivery date of 1st September. This of course has been missed and my car I am told was in production last week. Since 1st September I have had a loan vehicle and this is with me until mine is ready for collection.
The dealer has been fantastic and kept me advised every step of the way including a call from the dealer principle to apologise for the delay and help in the loan car.
This dealer is not my local dealer by a long way and are some 78 miles from where I live. I did not buy via a broker and used this dealer as they had been so good on my last purchase which also was from them.
Reason for the reply is to say that they are an Inchcape Dealership and so thought it fair to balance the views.
I agree some dealers staff say what they think you want to hear as they want your business to pay their bonus! Unfortunately some do not seem to care what the consequences can be.
Out of interest Audi have no SQ5's even on their own fleet.
I am sure you will love your SQ5 when it arrives. I had one for 3 days from the dealer and can't wait to get mine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi ray.afzal,

Thanks for the response. You can probably guess by the problems that I'm with Inchcape who had supplied and serviced my S5 together with the wife's Q3. I had a minor issue with my local SG Smith dealer who had supplied an A3 that I bought my wife a few years back (prior to replacing with the Q3). Like all dealers, Inchcape (at least my branch) excel at times and let you down on occasion. There was no chance of a loan car because of the length of time involved but I will be the first to push this should the original delivery date of first week in March be missed. My main frustration is being told things by a dealer that don't seem to be supported by any facts and it seems that I am not alone in this respect. According to Audi UK the dealers are supposed to tell potential customers that the SQ5 is a limited production car in the UK and they are not able to confirm delivery dates until Audi accept the order which I suspect won't happen in my case until Jan 2014 but your guess is as good as mine!

Hope you get yours in November and enjoy the experience. Cheers

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Windmill and thanks for the welcome, like you I purchased from Inchcape as I have generally been very happy with their service. I don't blame them entirely for the problems as they can only operate with the tools that Audi will provide. My order is in it's early stages and they are no doubt taking the view that there are months before they can tell me whats going on and are therefore able to keep me up to speed on potential delays. I am however a little surprised at what I have read in this forum and that with this knowledge (which the dealer must have been aware of) I wasn't informed of the potential delivery issues with the car. Particularly when I made it clear that trading in the S5 and being without a car for more than the 7 months timeframe that they insisted would be met, would cause me extreme difficulty.

I may well be over reacting and anticipating problems that won't materialise (certainly keeping my fingers crossed) just not getting a warm comfortable feeling about the prospects so far, compounded by some very wooly advice from the dealership.

Hope you get yours real soon. Sounds like your on the final leg.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
We don't have any Inchape Audi's near us so I can't talk from perspective but perhaps they are better than I thought!
I have noticed the same thing too, having still not seen an SQ5 on the road it makes you think how exclusive the car is; definitely a good thing from an owner's view! Shame though that they have only given Audi UK such small numbers of allocation. Fingers crossed and keep us all updated!

·
Registered
700 Posts
It seems you cant win where ever you buy from, problems all over the place by the sounds, I think most of us who ordered last year well before launch have been very luck to have few issues ,

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
It definitely seems to me the dealers are scared to tell the truth about the long and unpredictable delivery on the Q5 range at the moment. This is understandable as many would walk away from a deal, but I would have thought given the number of disgruntled people cancelling orders anyway they would be better off just being honest up front and say they cannot guarantee anything rather than damage the salesman, dealer, dealer group and ultimately brand reputation.
I was lucky in that Poole Audi (part of Ocean Automotive) were very clear that there was no way to say when the car might arrive other than a rough 2 month window but it may end up being before or after that estimate. It actually arrived bang in the middle, but as Merlin said I was an early adopter and so managed to miss (and probably help create - so sorry!) the current long wait!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
253 Posts
Good things come to those who wait! I am so impatient, but I know the wait will be worth it. Roll on March for me and I hope everyone who has their SQ5 is enjoying every minute of it

Reactions: José

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Welcome to the board.

Audi are fortunate to have a highly desirable brand and almost all their vehicles are built to order with the dealers working to an allocation of a certain number of cars per range per year. Audi Germany need to work like this because planning the production of a vehicle across multiple Global markets is extremely challenging. Audi don't actually 'make' all of your car but rather assemble if from components and assemblies sourced from a myriad of suppliers all over the world. As each year get's underway they will have a good idea of how many UK spec RHD Q5s they are going to build and rough notion of the model mix too.

So Audi Germany take an educated guess (using data from multiple sources) as to what the likely requirement of Q5s are to be split by engine/transmission and body and then places blanket purchase orders with 'call off' schedules, i.e. X per month planned in advance with all the OEM component suppliers. So far, so good?

When you place an order with your local dealer they pencil your name against an 'allocation slot' and most probably Audi are saying to the dealers you can place say 5 (its a guess, it may be more and it might be less) Q5 orders per month which are 'called off' from the dealer order book and accepted by the Audi factory.

So it follows that when you place a factory order for any new car in any dealer irrespective of franchise you should ask if they (the dealer) is working to an allocation and if so how many orders are ahead of yours. What can happen is that let's say there are 15 orders ahead of yours and the manufacturer is releasing production slots at the rate of 5 per month for a particular model then it might be 3 or 4 months before your order gets allocated a production slot.

Once the manufacturer has accepted the dealers order and allocated a production slot in a particular build week probably 12+ weeks into the future the production plant will start sequencing the manufacturing facility, it's more practical to build batches of a particular type of vehicle (as an example there are a few of us on here that know that our RHD UK spec SQ5s were all built in the same 3 week window back in April of this year). Around 8 weeks before the actual production date the order will be 'locked down' and no further changes will be accepted. The status of the order changes on the dealer system too.

At the lock down point all the orders are sent to the OEM suppliers to get the components for your car line-side at a particular date and time (it's called sequencing) whilst an order is also passed to the body plant to call off a body shell and get that painted in the right colour (also done in batches) and sequenced onto the assembly line for vehicle build. Automotive manufacturers run 'lean' and the aim is to have zero component inventory and literally have the materials arrive line-side at the moment its needed.

So what can possibly go wrong and stuff your projected build and delivery date? Well lots actually, an OEM might be having production problems and can't make the components, Audi R&D might have hit a snag on some option you want, i.e. I cancelled having Dynamic Steering as an option and my build date came forward by weeks and we knew a few months back that any Q5 with a sunroof was subject to delays. Let's say all goes to plan and your vehicle is built in it's designated week as planned; well it has to go through Audi Quality next, if it's not perfect then it won't leave the factory because Audi all want to ship perfect vehicles.

I believe that Audi (UK and Germany) didn't expect the SQ5 to be as popular as it has proved to be, it's not exactly at the bargain basement end of the price range after all and the extra orders have impacted a carefully balanced supply chain and they are struggling to meet demand accordingly. If you have read this far then you will understand that building more vehicles is more complicated than just opening the tap a bit further.

The dealers, bless 'em, have almost zero visibility of the above and probably Audi UK are little better off either so it's easy to see why when one is waiting for news that its so frustrating.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sq5john,

Thank you for the welcome and the time and effort in sharing the insight. I can and do understand much of the mechanics of the manufacturing/build process and actually welcome working with people (dealers included) to achieve the final goal. When the Q3 I bought for the Mrs in September last year had it's Aircon fail on the day we picked it up, I took it back to the dealer the same day said these things happen just keep it for as long as you need to fix it and I am pleased to say they did. I made no big deal over the fact that the SD Satnav card didn't come through in time for the delivery and had to be retro fitted. It wasn't even a big deal when the S5 rear seat belt failed to retract and the roof aerial started to lift and couldn't actually be fixed. I think the reason for this was that I was treated like a valued customer and whether I was put first or not, I was made to feel that I was. It seems that Audi's success with the SQ5 (and possibly Q5) puts the purchaser into a completely different bracket and that is thanks for your money we'll get back to you when we feel like it! I have undoubtedly been told what they think I want to hear and all I am after is the truth. How can a dealer give you a delivery date when Audi has not released a build date for the vehicle? Unfortunately in my experience I have come to find that if things don't make sense it's generally because either someone doesn't have all the facts or is not telling the truth, or both. My experience with Audi in the past has been that they have not had to adopt this approach to business as they do make a pretty fine product at the price. That's probably why I (and many others on this site) will put up with being treated as a second class citizen with £50K plus to spend on a car!

Sincerely hope you enjoy your car and am very jealous as it's close to the spec I hoping to see some day. Cheers

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
You are most welcome SQ5. The SQ is without doubt one of the best all round cars I've ever owned (I'm 56 now so have had a few!) hang in there as it is definitely worth the wait - what spec have you ordered?

The dealer experience varies immensely I'm afraid, the challenging variable being people and not helped by a sad trend in the retail motor trade that goes back 25 or more years now where the sales person works as a 'front of house customer facing' rep.

In the good old days the sales person knew the product, had a copy of the CAP & Glasses price guides on the desk and the finance house application sitting on their PC. We punters could visit a dealership and the sales person had the power to value the PX, craft a deal and take the order in certain knowledge that we knew where we stood by asking direct questions for direct answers.

The car sales business was revolutionised by a sales technique known back then as 'Pendle Selling' (they are still going as a consultancy today) and we all have to deal with the legacy. In essence the sales person is fundamentally a decent person, easy to get along with and obliging and will act as an interface between you as the buyer and the dealership's business manager who will try and craft as much profit margin out of the deal as possible. I'm not knocking this as profit pays everyone's salary and keeps the company in business.

The downside of this front office/back office approach is that sales person is deliberately decoupled from the true order status situation as the business manager will be balancing finance campaigns off against manufacturer volume bonus targets and the demands of the fleet department etc and doesn't necessarily have our best interests at heart.

This 'nice person' sales approach bit was bought into sharp focus for me a couple of weeks back while negotiating for a new Mini for my lady wife (it's what she wanted so fine
). The dealer principal said that his ideal sales candidate for the showroom will have worked in a mobile phone shop as they are good with people, focus in on the need and are tenacious. With that kind of mindset it will come as no surprise that the sales person was distinctly light on product knowledge and matters-automotive generally though he ticked all the customer care boxes perfectly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sq5john, again a very nice retort and I have to agree with every detail. Funny thing is that the salesman is extremely nice and relatively non-committal, back office managers equally very pleasant but over commit which adds to confusion. Having almost given up on uncovering or comprehending the status of the car, thought I'd give Audi UK another call and keep the questions simple "what is build date status and how can anyone give an estimated delivery date without one?" A very, very nice man treats me as a customer again, checks with the retail sales department of Audi (SLI - not that means anything to me). He phones back in very efficient fashion to advise that I have a projected build of week 4 (20/1/2014) which had apparently been brought forward from a projected week 7! This needs to be confirmed approximately 3 weeks prior. He reckons 1 to 2 weeks for build and 4 to 6 weeks for delivery which would put delivery sometime in March. I know it could change but hey I've been told something that makes sense. He went on further to explain that the original order was received 9th July which would make sense as my order was 26th July but dealer sourced a prior spec -amendable order from another branch. Icing on the cake is that very nice man insists on checking that the spec for the build meets my order and phones back again to confirm. He also leaves his extension number so I can contact him to check again in the future. Even if I don't get the car in March I feel placated to a major extent down to the professionalism of this one individual.

I can now sleep for three months before I deal with the realism of will it or won't it be delayed.

I only had a day with the demo SQ5 but must admit it really seems to tick all the boxes. It's nice to hear that having taken delivery of yours you continue to give it high marks (buyers remorse syndrome and all that). I am fast catching you up at 54 my last two cars were a BMW M5 and the Audi S5 (V8 version). The SQ5 seems to offer similar performance with only very minor turbo lag and a very refined drive for what it is. All this with a big boot and remarkable MPG!!

My spec: Estoril Blue, Black/Black (prefer the lunar but had it in the A3 and it didn't hold up as well as the black in the longterm), B&O speakers, Electric folding mirrors Audi Parking Advanced, Dynamic Steering, Drive Select, Heated Seats, Tech Pack High, Privacy Glass, 21" Twin Spoke Wheels. I couldn't make my mind up on electric tailgate, storage pack, flat bottom steering wheel or rear bench plus so held off on these and now would hesitate to add for fear of giving anyone the chance of delaying delivery. My S5 had keyless entry (excellent but not sure I could justify the extra money), hill hold (which was very useful on a manual but I don't understand why you need it on an auto/tip?), auto dipping wing mirrors (didn't like as you can't see who's behind you), adaptive xenon lights which I could just about notice on round-a-bouts and country lanes.

Thanks for all your input, will watch out for your future posts, hopefully still singing the SQ5 praises.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
That's good to hear you are going to stick around and wait for the SQ5. Actually considering your worries you haven't got too late a delivery time as some people who ordered in July August time aren't getting theirs till April/May sort of time!
Saw my first SQ5 in Raynes Park area, panther black...looked very aggressive actually just a shame it disappeared into the distance so quick! :) Our X5's 0-60 in 6.6 couldn't keep up with its 5.1s!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Thanks SQ5. Nice spec too, Electric tailgate, I selected for a reason in that I'm a keen clay shooter and being able to open the tailgate remotely and just slide the gun into it's slip saves a lot of faffing around, if it wasn't for the gun I wouldn't have ordered it. Rear bench seat plus, is well worth having for £175 as aside from the centre fold-down armrest aperture (I couldn't believe it's not standard) the split rear seats also slide (individually) backwards for more knee space or forward for a bigger boot. The rear seats also recline slightly too. Hill-hold is, IMHO, an absolute must have for £60, being an auto the transmission will 'creep' if you lift your foot off the brake, hill-hold will auto-apply the brakes as you coast to a halt, much less hassle in traffic. As others have said it also fill an empty hole in the centre console too

Have you stuck with the standard interior aluminum trim which is notorious for getting dented/scratched? The Carbon Atlas version is relatively inexpensive and looks great too. Images here of mine: http://www.myaudiq5.com/index.php/topic/3121-sq5-wednesday-15th-0900-delivery-at-last/

And lastly you have ordered Tech Pack High, have you considered the Mobile Connect High? It's not well publicised by Audi which is a shame - have a look at the post I did on it here http://www.myaudiq5.com/index.php/topic/4210-mobile-connect-high-its-amazing/

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks both Ray and John,

Ray according to Audi UK, if I ordered now the anticipated delivery date would be end of April to beginning of May and have no reason to doubt this. I have yet to see any SQ5's on the road but perhaps I need to get out more (difficult without my own car
) I'll keep my eyes peeled but trying not to make myself too crazy (as if I weren't already there!).

Sq5john, appreciate your thoughts on the tailgate which makes me feel a little more confident that I made the right call here. I understand what your saying about hill-hold and if I was doing daily commutes to work I might have reconsidered but thankfully I don't live that torment any more. I'll have to learn not stare at the gap where the button should be. Mobile connect high probably fits into the same bracket for me although thanks for the heads up as your'e the first to outline the benefits (dealers kind of gloss over the telephone prep bits). Carbon Inlays.... wish you hadn't raised this, particularly as your pictures are the only ones I've seen that do this option justice. I went for the standard aluminium because I ordered Black/Black interior and thought that it needed a little bright work but there is no question yours look nicer, I just don't know whether I want to potentially disturb the order at this rather painful stage.....you have definitely got me thinking though! I am equally not sure on bench seat plus. This is so badly explained in the brochure and in the configurator. Seat moves 100mm forward and backward. Is that 50mm each way or 100mm each way. If it's only equivalent to 100mm forward from the standard position (i.e. only really serves to reduce legroom from standard and increase boot) I can't see me using the facility equally if it only increases legroom by 50mm from standard, again I am not sure. Right or wrong I assumed that the fold down armrest (as nice as it is) must in some way reduce the comfort of the middle seat and without being able to compare I am not sure whether my call on leaving this out is right decision (again fear of disturbing order to include this might prove too brave for me... and I'm not what you would normally consider a coward... funny the experience of buying a new SQ5 has turned me into such a wimp but I'm all argued out!). Cheers

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
I think the standard aluminium inlays are just fine - never had an issue with scratches or the like and I think they suit the car admirably - my SQ5 will be coming with the brushed aluminium inlays. I've not had the Bench Seat Plus option but for me I've never had the need to devote 100mm more to boot space over rear legroom.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts