Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Does anybody know much about the "flappy paddles?"
I have them, & I have a couple od questions that do not appear to be answered in the manual:-

My main reason for specifying them was actually to force the engine to change down when going down a hill. - Especially when towing a (2600KG), trailer.
However, is it perhaps a mistake, as gentle use of the brakes is supposed to charge the battery instead of actually mechanically operating the brakes? - Any thoughts?

Having used the paddles, the car then sits in "M" (sort of manual), mode for about 30S, when it switches back to "D" The only way to force it back seems to be to move the gear selector to manual & back, which rather defeats having flappy paddles in the first place.

Whilst writing, - The paddles themselves are small, so with the steering wheel in anything other than straight ahead, you can't use them. If you haven't ordered your Q5 yet, they might be a good option not to have? - Along with the cup cooler, that doesn't do much. - Far better a refrigerated box under arm rest.

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
I have the flappy paddles.

I would suggest it is a mistake to use gearbox and engine braking to control your vehicle, better to use the brakes.

You might want to try selecting S mode when decending.

You might have more use for a cooler in France, than I do in Aberfreeze. When I lived in spain I used to freeze a bottle of water. As it melted during the day I had ice cool water to drink

·
Banned
801 Posts
Not a mistake shift paddles can be used when going down it is better to slow down with engine thus the brakes are less stressed and less are heated.(especially with a trailer of 2600kg?? - limit 2400kg)

You can shift paddles used in D and S modes, but after a time depending on the driving mode automatically returns to these mods D or S
If gearbox in M mode then you manually change the speeds but in the case when the engine reaches the RPM limit transmission shifts to a higher gear

Using shift paddles is just a matter of habit and practice.
I often use shift paddles on the roads with many curves

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Missile.
Thanks, also Spijun: I've just checked my handbook - You're right! - My first Q5 was purchased in September 2009. - I'm sure for 8% gradient it was 2,600Kg!
... But it isn't any more!?!
Spijun, I think I agree with Missile, if you use your brakes gently, you are not actually applying pads to discs, but rather adding a boost to your battery.
Also I have flappy paddles & know how to use them, but how to turn them off? - Other than waiting or using the gearstick to M & back again?

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
AFIK you cannot turn them off. Gearbox will soon revert back to S or D mode, whichever one you had selected before you used the paddle.

·
Banned
801 Posts
Never limit was not 2,600 kg
I have a handbook of 2008,2009,2010, and 2011 the limit is the same everywhere: 8% gradient to 2.400 kg and 12% gradient to 2.000 Kg

Code:
Spijun, I think I agree with Missile, if you use your brakes gently, you are not actually applying pads to discs, but rather adding a boost to your battery
you think that you are doing this with using the brakes - mistake

The Audi energy recovery system, which uses kinetic energy engine during deceleration, increases efficiency, particularly in urban traffic and saves fuel -- up to three percent, depending on the driving cycle, a company statement said.
The alternator operates with a new intelligent control system. It increases its secondary voltage during coasting and braking phases, producing more electric power.
It then converts kinetic energy -- i.e. energy of motion -- into electrical energy, which is stored temporarily in the battery.
When the car accelerates again, electrical consumers are supplied with power from the battery. In this way the alternator can operate at a low load when driving off and accelerating, according to the statement.

You can shift paddles used in D and S modes, but after a time (30-60s) depending on the driving mode automatically returns to these mods D or S
Simply slide the lever in D or S mode

If you think it is better to uses the braking system to slow down rather than a combination of brakes and engine OK
Seek expert opinion regarding the trailer and braking
Good luck

PS Be careful who you give advice there are those who do not know the basics of mechanics and engine

·
Registered
433 Posts
Peter,

Check with your local laws regarding towing as there are many restrictions on this, in the UK you cannot exceed the unladen vehicle mass, or 80-85% of the gross weight, then the rule regarding the "train weight" next what does your driving licence allow you to drive some only up to 3500KG.

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
Peter,

The manufacturer's maximum gross weight, should be marked on the plate. MGW is the all up limit of the trailer plus contents.

Just be careful not to put too much in the trailer to ensure you are under the load limit for the car. I would suggest not more than 1.5 Tonne of material in the trailer as a working limit for your rig.

For your info, from the Q&A on your trailer manufacturer's web site:
My vehicle has a maximum towing weight of 1500kg and my trailer has a maximum gross weight of 2000kg. Can I still tow this trailer?
Yes, as long as the unladen weight of the trailer you are towing combined with the trailer load does not exceed 1500kg, then you can tow this trailer with your vehicle.
There is no legal requirement to downrate the plate on your trailer.
Drivers must also possess the appropriate driving licence with B+E category for towing this particular trailer combination as well as adhering to tachograph rules, if applicable.
Happy motoring

·
Banned
801 Posts
Peter is written in manual for the Q5:
Trailer load limit in kg:
-750 kg unbreaked
-12% gradient 2000 kg
-8% gradient 2400 kg
This is tested and permissible by Audi. That means you can use permissible trailer weight and the load on it. Of course you must have an appropriate trailer
The models that have the factory built towing hitch have stronger and bigger fan and cooler

I will not tell you what is permissible and what not allowed
Every state has different legislation for transport

Of course you have an appropriate driver's license and that you know the laws

I do not want to give you advice what allowed and what is not because I think you're old enough that you do not have to share tips: Peter attention a stop sign, red light ..... beware

Good luck

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Spijun,
Thanks for your reply:
To clarify,
Do I understand that the voltage is increased whenever I let go of the accelerator.
+ When braking; The brakes immediately come on? That is they're totally independant of the "Audi Energy Recovery System"?
- I had interpreted it differently, but stand to be corrected. - I certainly get loads of brake dust over the wheels!
Thanks, Missile & Doug.

·
Banned
801 Posts
- I certainly get loads of brake dust over the wheels!
Because you only use the brake but no engine to slow down especially when you have a trailer.
When you have a trailer you need more braking power for 25-60% than without the trailer and it produces a lot of heat and brake dust

Good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts