Audi Q5 Forum banner

First test drive of 3.0T SQ5

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Isleaiw 
#1 ·
I'm a long time lurker on this forum after considering a Q5 back in 2014 when I was cruising around in a 2010 A5 Sportback S-Line 2.0T. After 4 years of Mercedes-Benz leasing (2014 GLA 220d AMG Line) I'm ready to give the Q5 a go and can now stretch to a SQ5.

I do less than 5k miles/year and I like the look and space of the SUV style vehicle and so am not bothered about fuel economy on a petrol SQ5. I plan to keep this car for 5+ years to justify the big outlay (for me), If I had to go down a notch to the 2.0T Q5 that would not be terrible, but I figure this could be the last petrol car I buy and I've never had bigger than a 2.5L inline 4, so a twin scroll single turbo V6 would be a fitting final petrol car before we run out of the black stuff for personal transportation.

I'll be trying the car at Chingford Audi (in East London). I usually try and not get too excited when I test drive a new car, but my inner geek may well get the better of me as all the tech in the S/Q5 family is a few notches ahead of the Merc stuff. I'm also looking forward to going back to petrol after the clatter of the 2.2L Merc Diesel lump.

I'll report back after the drive.

#3 ·
I agree, the new SQ5 drives really well.

Reactions: mxnrg
#5 ·
Just came back from the test drive. It was a '17 plate Daytona SQ5 on standard springs and the fancy 21's. Apart from wheels and paint it had Virtual Cockpit, HUD and Matrix LEDs as the only other options.

The ride on the 21's without air suspension was a little too firm, even in comfort on some low quality tarmac. Cruising on some better quality three lane 'A' roads was not too bad. My conclusion being that 20's and Air Springs will give me the smooth ride I'm looking for 90% of the time.

The engine is a peach, pulls from such low revs and cruises at barely 1000-1200 RPM at 40-50 mph in comfort/eco. Then when you stick it in auto/dynamic and choose lower gears it pulls like a train and the exhaust burbles and pops like a winner.

Interior quality, switches and general feel was great. I've missed the feel of Audi's steering wheels and seats. Even without some additional toys like the panoramic roof and comfort entry the car still felt very plush.

I've planned to go try a 2.0T Q5 to verify that I'm 100% on the SQ5. For reference, the sales guy at Chingford Audi was a breath of fresh air; polite, listened to what I wanted and made the effort to go get me a SQ5 from 60 miles up the road.

One step closer to a S/Q5...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

#6 ·
Surprised you find the ride too firm - mine is standard suspension and 21s. But I spend most of my time in it on better roads, and I didnt like the feel of air I tried in a Macan, so guess it is all about personal taste.

I have pan roof - rarely used but it does lighten interior. I don't and won't have comfort due to current reports on theft risk. I otherwise have similar options to the one you tried...

#7 ·
I'm being super picky on the ride as it wasn't terrible. I just needed something to take the edge off. I'm also hoping the lower ride in dynamic mode also gives a bigger range of suspension feel between the modes.

What are the security concerns on comfort entry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Make sure you get a good test drive with air suspension. Most Macan owners love theirs but some have had awful nausea to the point they've had to trade car in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.