Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, with delivery date a couple of month's away, and reading advice on this forum...
I will want to have my new car detailed, and, obviously, as professionally as possible.

As a bit of a newbie to this service, just as a start I simply googled 'Car detailing North East UK'
This brings up a comprehensive variety of options, as would be expected.

My main question, as title suggests, is how do I sift through these, to be confident of getting excellent work done?

I'm sure that as in any business, they will range from excellent to pretty much useless, and it's really not something to be guessing at is it.

So, is there any sort of nationwide guide available?

Do any forum members have experience, good or bad, with any detailers in this neck of the woods, and are there any concrete recommendations out there ?

Or are there any reputable companies out there with nationwide outlets (doesn't seem to be at first glance)
Of course I could travel, or pay for them to travel, if guaranteed excellent service, but it would be better in long run, for maintaining, if local.

Anyway, any advice on the subject greatly appreciated !!

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
Avoid we come to you................ IMHO proper detailing can only be done in a controlled environment. Visit your nearest detailer, look at his work before deciding.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was wondering how soon after buying a brand new car should you get this done and what are the recommended intervals between said finishes?

I've had my Q5 4 months and there is a miniscule scratch on the rear panel which catches my eye every time (my wife said it was probably her which means it WAS her).

What can i do about this?

·
Registered
706 Posts
New wife?

Reactions: Mobydick and Tricky

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
Best to get it done from new and repeat as and whenever. You or rather your detailer will be able to polish out a scratch.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Best to get it done from new and repeat as and whenever. You or rather your detailer will be able to polish out a scratch.
Thanks, I'll get onto it when I get home.

I just wasn't sure how often and when to get this done as I don't want to damage the paintwork.

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
There is no simple answer. Machine polishing removes paint, deeper the scratch(es) the more paint will need to be removed. It is not rocket science and some owners DIY. However, a careless detailer can very quickly remove paint down to the primer on panel edges. You might want to buy, beg, borrow or steal a paint thickness meter.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I do my own cars, for a scratch on a black car I used BlackFire Black Ice on top of wolfgang polish and hey presto problem gone!

If you can see base coat then get someone like chips away to touch it up but if you go to your local audi/ VW stealers you may find its the same guy!!! I am not joking

I dropped my wifes car off at eastern VW in Edinburgh and I spotted the chips away guy working on 2 cars to get them ready to sell! He was really useful at getting rid of a few scratched on my A3 before i traded it in for my Q5

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input,
I notice nobody mentioned the option of Autoglym treatment, by Audi themselves, on collection.

I hadn't really noticed this option till my salesrep pointed it out yesterday and highly recommended it (funny that)
I searched the forums here for it, and saw that it is not a highly rated option by most.

I realise it's no substitute for a full day professional detailing service, but is it that bad?, even as just an initial starting point?

The views mainly seem that the Audi valet guys would not prepare it well enough, taking only 30 mins or so, while my salesrep tells me that while a normal valeting before handover would be 30-40 mins, they need prior notice for Autoglym as it will take them 3-4 hours ?

So my next question is, are there any members out there who would recommend it? who had the treatment and are happy with the results ?

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
The problem is these protection offerings are all about what you do before you apply it...
You don't want to seal in swirl marks and any other imperfections. Getting the paintwork prepped at minimum is a 3-4 hour job, some guys spend 2 days doing it!

Dealerships employ a couple of 17 year olds to wash the cars when they are in for service - guess who also does the paint protection...

Applying the protection is also a skill in itself to get and even coating all round etc. Again, something I would say takes years of experience to get right.

Detailing is a skill and an art form, get someone who feels this way about the profession to do your car, not a young petrol head.

The dealership job will probably look 'OK' on the day, but not 'GREAT' but more importantly it will last only a few weeks due to poor application. Also consider the cost, most dealerships charge between 2 and 4 times what a professional detailer does!!! This for me is frankly disgusting!

·
Registered
884 Posts
My dealership wanted £800.00 for the Autoglym.

Getting a company called Pure Detail to do mine.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The problem is these protection offerings are all about what you do before you apply it...
You don't want to seal in swirl marks and any other imperfections. Getting the paintwork prepped at minimum is a 3-4 hour job, some guys spend 2 days doing it!

Dealerships employ a couple of 17 year olds to wash the cars when they are in for service - guess who also does the paint protection...

Applying the protection is also a skill in itself to get and even coating all round etc. Again, something I would say takes years of experience to get right.

Detailing is a skill and an art form, get someone who feels this way about the profession to do your car, not a young petrol head.

The dealership job will probably look 'OK' on the day, but not 'GREAT' but more importantly it will last only a few weeks due to poor application. Also consider the cost, most dealerships charge between 2 and 4 times what a professional detailer does!!! This for me is frankly disgusting!
Yes, I was pretty convinced with all the posts , thanks, and Jose pretty much nails it here.

Had contact with this guy, and he sent me a good, detailed reply in response.
Think I'll be going with him.

http://www.autocleanngleam.co.uk/

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Yes, I was pretty convinced with all the posts , thanks, and Jose pretty much nails it here.

Had contact with this guy, and he sent me a good, detailed reply in response.
Think I'll be going with him.

http://www.autocleanngleam.co.uk/
Reading the info on the 'New Car Detail' package it seems to do the job and £235 is a fair price (I paid £200 mates rates with my detailer). Of course I can't speak for their work quality, but the pics and testimonials on the website look like they are the real deal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had my SQ5 detailed by ddbvaleting.co.uk and I can highly recommend him. they are located on the west chirton ind estate next to the silverlink at wallsend.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
So my next question is, are there any members out there who would recommend it? who had the treatment and are happy with the results ?
I will try to take some pictures of mine "Autoglymed"after I pick it up on 1st March.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As a long term lurker on here with a Q5 and maybe SQ5 purchase at some point I felt I had to chip in on this one.

Jose hit the nail on the head. The products from Audi will be ok, but you have no knowledge of the person applying it and they will more than likely be the lowest paid person at the dealer. I personally wouldn't even want it doing if it was thrown in as part of the deal.

Both the companies listed above http://www.autocleanngleam.co.uk/ and http://www.ddbvaleting.co.uk are spot on, I know we've sent quite a bit of product to them and would whole heartedly recommend them both. So Sj1000 you have in my opinion picked a good company to go with.

Not only will they be cheaper than Audi, but I guarantee will do a far better job and put far more work in.

Once you've had it done then you'll need to go and get yourself a whole heap of products to maintain it

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I have been impressed with the standard of preparation of both Audi's I have collected so far, and they were "standard prep".

Would a detailer do better? I am sure they would.

Is it worth paying for Autoglym? Very unlikely.

Is it worth having for free? Absolutely, as far as I am concerned.

If there are any issues with the finish they will be rectifying it, but my experience with Bristol Audi has been very good to date so I am not anticipating a problem.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
I have been impressed with the standard of preparation of both Audi's I have collected so far, and they were "standard prep".

Would a detailer do better? I am sure they would.

Is it worth paying for Autoglym? Very unlikely.

Is it worth having for free? Absolutely, as far as I am concerned.

If there are any issues with the finish they will be rectifying it, but my experience with Bristol Audi has been very good to date so I am not anticipating a problem.
I think part of this is how particular you are about your paintwork... 99% of people are happy with a clean car.

But then there are people like myself that want it better than showroom condition.

I'm sure you'll be more than happy with what Bristol do - as you say, a detailer could have done better, but how far you want to go is a matter of personal taste.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts