Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all my fellow q5 owners
i have hade my wifes 2 year old 2.0 tdi automatic q5 for nearly a year now and i'm beginning to lose patience with the way the gearbox works.
I took it into Audi coulsdon and they said they couldn't see a problem with it (they would say that)
I wonder if you guys out there can give me a bit of advice.
The problem is when you slow down to about 5 miles an hour and the come to a stop to either stop at lights or to reverse into a space, when the car flips from a slow second gear to a standstill first it jolts forward into first with a bit of a jerk rather than a smooth transition.
The rest of the way the gears work is smooth and seamless, its just the slowing down.
Can anyone please give me some advice as to what needs to be done.
Is it a fault or a characteristic of this gearbox as one other owner i know says his is as smooth as you would expect.
Please HELP !!!!
Louis

·
Banned
842 Posts
Certainly is a trait some have reported if you search the forum. Some people have had software updates applied with good affect.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Have a read through this thread for info on others experience in fixing similar issues to yours: www.myaudiq5.com/index.php/topic/1117-s-tronic/

·
Registered
261 Posts
Sounds like you need a new mechatronic unit. My friend suffered these exact symptoms. The replacement unit solved all problems.

·
Registered
140 Posts
could well be, does it switch gears to neutral or anything strange happening on dash? you can get them repaired

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To Moss 2000 and cruiser, thanks for your replies, could you please explain what a mechatronic unit is and if its a big repair.
No cruiser it doesn't do anything weird like go into neutral or anything on the dash. I just think its the way the gearbox works occasionally it's not like it does it every time, at certain times (very rarely) it has stalled when it jumped into first gear from a crawl to a stop. It jerked into 1st, made the revs suddenly drop.
Bit confused.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Your symptoms are just the same as my friends car. The mechatronic unit controls the gear changes etc. Unfortunately it is very expensive, around £2500 or more.

It's a real problem with vw dgs boxes. Type it into google and read the misery!

In the USA there have been so many complaints that vw have extended the warranty to 10 years or 100000 miles.

Sorry the news isn't better. Regards mark.

·
Banned
801 Posts
Your symptoms are just the same as my friends car. The mechatronic unit controls the gear changes etc. Unfortunately it is very expensive, around £2500 or more.

It's a real problem with vw dgs boxes. Type it into google and read the misery!

In the USA there have been so many complaints that vw have extended the warranty to 10 years or 100000 miles.

Sorry the news isn't better. Regards mark.
VW DSG boxes and S-tronic- Audi transmission is not the same
It is true that the DSG had problems but not S-tronic

In August 2009, Volkswagen of America issued two recalls of DSG-equipped vehicles. The first involved 13,500 vehicles,[sup][23][/sup] and was to address unplanned shifts to the neutral gear,[sup][23][/sup] while the second involved similar problems (by then attributed to faulty temperature sensors) and applied to 53,300 vehicles.[sup][23][/sup][sup][24][/sup][sup][25][/sup] These recalls arose as a result of investigations carried out by the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA),[sup][26][/sup] where owners reported to the NHTSA a loss of power whilst driving.[sup][23][/sup] This investigation preliminary found only 2008 and 2009 model year vehicles as being affected.[sup][23][/sup][sup][26][/sup]

Other markets, such as Volkswagen group Australia, are yet to admit this being a widespread issue and refuse to offer similar recall programs as their US counterparts, even though multiple reports of similar incidents and failures have occurred.

·
Still Game
4,615 Posts
This is the first time I have seen this problem reported on a Q5 S Tronic, but if you search you will find many reports of S Tronic gearbox failures on a.n.other Audi forums.

Tritium said:
Widespread problem. Well it's certainly been widely reported.
Should you stay clear of DSG TT's - only you can decide mate.
Did it stop me buying one- certainly not.
Am I concerned about a failure of the gearbox - no ill deal with it like any other mechanical failure.
Do I love the gearbox and would I recommend it to anyone - you bet you cotton socks.
Do I miss a manual box - not one iota.
If a slave cylinder fails on a manual you'll be facing a similar repair cost so I say where's the issue.
All mechanical items run the risk of failing ultimately- but you can minimise and possibly delay such by planned maintenance.
DON'T think the DSG is a drive and forget system. Get it serviced as per schedule and just enjoy it.
I'm sure your good lady will and you will be jealous!
DO IT! But research a good one with a reputable seller and service history.
Brian
35mphspeedlimit said:
Difficult to put a % on the failure rate but I reckon it has to be circa 10 - 20%! I say this because mine went at 45k, my next door neighbours went much earlier and there were two other Audis in my local Indi with faulty ECU when mine went in (and this is all within a very small area and timeframe). Added to this there are loads being reported on this Forum on a fairly regular basis.

Minimum cost to repair DSG ECU is circa £1,000 once labour, repair costs and oil change added in. Mine however, was closer to £2,000 and a new ECU fitted is circa £2,500!!

However, that being said, it is a wonderful unit and when working is excellent.

·
Banned
801 Posts

·
Banned
801 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to you all out there, am enjoying reading your comments, don't know now whether to press Audi to do something before the warranty runs out at the end of may 2013.
That's if they would do anything, I am sure they would drive it and say everything seems normal.
I have a similar age mercedes with a 7g tronic gearbox and thats as smooth as anything, mind you i've experienced lots of people with dodgy merc boxes that have broken after about 4 years, so don't know what's worse.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Merc 'box is a slush not DSG/S-Tronic/DCT etc. etc. It's much harder to get a DSG box to be smooth!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Took my car in to try and sort out some rough shifting and yes indeed a new mechatronic box is required.

I'll let you know the difference it makes when I get it back.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts