Audi Q5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Took delivery of my Q5 on 3rd September (2.0TDI stronic, comfort pack tech pack high, tow bar). Its my first audi after owning bmw's in the past and am highly delighted with the overall package.
I tow a horse trailer with it and wondered if anyone had found a point on the factory fit towbar to attach the breakaway cable. Its a fixed penalty fine for not having a breakaway cable attached and, as its something the Germans introduced via the EEC, i thought there might be a clip point on the tow bar but cannot seem to see one? I'm currently looping the cable around the tow ball and was told that if challenged my defence would be that there is no other way to attach it. Just wanted to make sure i wasnt missing it somewhere. Great forum - any advise appreciated.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I also tow a horse trailer and there is no attachment point. Just loop the break away cable around the tow ball and clip back to the cable.

Mine is a manual and I have not had any problems towing. Let me know how you get on with the Stronic box when towing.

Have fun.

J2910

·
Registered
147 Posts
I could not find anywhere either, so I do the same as 2910 and just loop it round and clip it to itself
kc

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also tow a horse trailer and there is no attachment point. Just loop the break away cable around the tow ball and clip back to the cable.

Mine is a manual and I have not had any problems towing. Let me know how you get on with the Stronic box when towing.

Have fun.

J2910
Hi J2910,
The auto box is a dream to tow with - its just one less thing to worry about. I'd considered the manual but was talked into auto by some friends and i have to say am glad i did. Haven't been anywhere too demanding yet but seems to cope very well on motorways, a roads and winding b roads.

Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I could not find anywhere either, so I do the same as 2910 and just loop it round and clip it to itself
kc
Guy's this is madness! I wouldn't want to be be driving around on the roads with you guys knowing that your trailers are not properly safety chained. Please do other road users a favour and find out what is going on here - follow it up with your dealers or Audi until you find the proper way to safety chain your trailers.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I just had a look on the National trailer and towing association www.ntta.co.uk.

This is their advice and concurrs with the advice already posted in this topic.....

"Attach safety breakaway cable(s) to the rear of vehicle. This cable will apply the hand brake if for any reason the trailer becomes detached whilst towing. (Clip the breakaway cable onto the special rings some towbars have or loop it around the bar, making sure it cannot foul the coupling head. Do not loop it round the towball neck unless you can find no alternative.) Check that the breakaway and lighting cables have enough slack for cornering but will not touch the ground."

Since there appears to be no alternative, then looping it around the tow ball is correct.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Crustynoodle,

Your concern is totally unwarranted. I refer you to the link of the National Cararvan Council. As you can see "where there is no specific attachment point, the correct method is to loop the cable around the swan neck".

http://www.nationalcaravan.co.uk/downloads/resources/breakawaycable.pdf

FYI the cable is not meant to stay attached to the car if the trailer breaks away. It is designed to 'apply the trailer brakes, and then to break, thus leving the trailer coming to a halt and the car to be brought to a stop without losing control.

J2910

·
Registered
240 Posts
J2910,

But of course it may be different Down under where Crusty N hails from....
Absolutely! And apologies for the misunderstanding.

Down under, trailers must be attached with a safety "chain" that securely attaches to the tow bar or car. In the event of a coupling failure the trailer will not become totally detached from the car. There have been several incidents where the safety chain was not attached and the trailer has gone careering down the road resulting in deaths.

When I think about it, I think I like the UK solution better but it's a fairly unsavoury thought either way.

You learn something new every day!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts