Audi Q5 Forum banner

Factory Fitted Tow Bar Problems

17K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Rog 
#1 ·
I have a Q5 3.0 TDI s-line plus 2013MY which I ordered with a swiveling tow bar. Only problem is unless the car and caravan are on the level and in line (not often possible on a site!) I can't hitch or unhitch the caravan due to the ball being too close to the rear bumper. The hitch is an AL-KO stabilizer type on a Coachman VIP 520/4. Makes the car unusable as a tow car, has anyone has similar problems? I would be interested to know as it looks like I may have an argument with Audi!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Not quite the same, but I just used my factory fitted Q5 tow-bar to tow a Brian James twin axle car trailer last week, and found it a breeze to use. I had no clearance issue with the getting it hitched on.

The problem is with your hitch, which has too much 'bulk' in front of the 'socketed' section.

#4 ·
We have the same factory fit towbar. I am only towing a small sailing dinghy but when I first extended the towbar I was shocked how close it was. Many boat trailers feature a pressed steel town hitch which often has a significant lip at the front which I am sure would touch the car. Luckily our trailer has a cast socket which is much smaller but it still has maybe only an inch of clearance.

I read somewhere on here that the max permissible towbar load had increased from 75kg to 100kg, maybe they shortened the pivot distance to reduce the moment load.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Nothing to add except the picture of your towbar looks right, they are extremely close to the rear bumper. Mine isn't rated at 100kg?

I only tow a 2 bike M/C trailer or use a Thule 2 cycle bike rack. I fitted a rubber bumper stop to the trailer (which closes the gap, but stops me scratching the bumper), but have to be "really" careful when fitting/removing the cycle rack.

The towbar is a really neat design, but obviously the "packaging" limitations have shortened the arm somewhat?

#6 ·
I have a 2010 Q5 and I tow a caravan Bailey Unicorn 2 currently (Peg 2 last two years) with the same Al-ko stabiliser and the same tow bar as you.
Yes it's a little close when you first hitch up but surely once you push the stabiliser down the gap widens so that it is well clear? And yes I agree you do have to be near straight on to the tow bar to clear it as any major angle is no good. So I use the caravan mover to achieve that. So I have no issues with towing a caravan and in fact it is a superb tow.

Did you get the electrics modified for the fridge?

To answer another question on NW.
I have just investigated the 80kg NW limit on my current tow bar and car by contacting Audi UK who tell me I can now fit the new higher rated tow bar to my car and thus have 100kg NW.
Also I discovered that two UK tow bar manufacturers...........PCT and Bosal, as well as Audi are now making/selling tow bars for the Q5 2008> with a NW of 100kg.
To reassure myself from a legal perspective I have also acquired a copy of the Homologation certificate for the Q5 dated 2009 which states the NW limit is and always has been 100kg for the car. So the limiting factor was the 80kg rated tow bar.

So I'm having the new swivel factory fit one fitted on Tuesday.

I was nearly tempted in to solving the problem by buying a Q7 this week. I was offered £37K as a trade in. But I'm scared off by the reports of heavy tyre wear and the price of the tyres for it at circa £300 each on 21" wheels! Plus 2 adults and 2 small dogs hardly qualifies me for needing 7 seat accommodation............Any one had any experience with a Q7?

#8 ·
Just seen my new tow bar.
It's made of steel unlike the current aluminium version. It looks identical to the old one so fingers crossed. They're transferring the loom over to it so that the extra 2 pins remain wired up.

#9 ·
Hi Rog, I concur with everything you have reported as I have the same tow bar and the same experiences.

We had major concerns with it being compatible with our Alko hitch when we bought it 2 years ago for our Swift Challenger. The limit of 80kg nose weight is restrictive but we have moved things around to accommodate it, though would like to know how much you have paid for the upgrade please?

We also asked Audi to sort out the wiring for the fridge too, which they did at no charge to us.

Thanks

#11 ·
Paul,

Once the stabiliser is pushed down and applied that bulge on the alko is then on the top. Do you still have a problem after that?

Have you got a mover? I find it very useful as it holds the caravan still even on a slope so you can just carefully lower it on to the ball at the exact spot. It could be difficult without one.

#12 ·
Had the new swivelling tow bar fitted today. Exactly the same size as the one it replaced so clearance is no different but importantly the nose weight limit is now 100kg.
Got a replacement sticker for the boot on order.

#16 ·
Thought I would give you this detail from the Homologation certificate (dated 15/04/09) with regard to couplings on the Q5, which if you are technical will explain why the bar is the length it is. Means nowt to me

....."The maximum ratio of the coupling overhang to the wheelbase is 0,340 - 0,450"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.