Audi Q5 Forum banner

Exhaust sounds

6K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Robin T 
#1 ·
Hi guys / gals my question is , as I'm looking to order an SQ for long term ownership the last thing I'm wondering is the exhaust , are the active speakers actually in the exhaust itself or just the sound " let in " some how as I would imagine that if in the exhaust they will prove very very expensive to replace if they stop working ? Looking forward to being enlightened . Dave

#2 ·
They are actually in the exhaust - so passers by get the same sound as the cabin.
There is speculation that this is the reason the SQ5 can only wade up to the door sills...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#3 ·
Wow they must get damn hot ! Mmm this is now a worry as without these working the SQ becomes just another diesel to the onlooker even though as the driver u know better also to repair it would prob mean the exhaust coming apart and it ( the exhaust ) IMHO won't thus making the fix uber expensive as costs would be new exhaust plus speakers !!!!!!! This requires further investigation .

#4 ·
It's a new car with 3+ yrs warranty - I'm not worried. They are in a separate chamber out of the direct flow if gases so they won't get silly hot.

#5 ·

i think the exhaust one me over for the SQ5...without it it would be a very appealing car, but the sound was the cherry on top! Therefore no matter what the cost would be, i would make sure that sound sticks with me everywhere i go

Reactions: ?? SQ-BEAST ??
#7 ·
#9 ·
I would have to read the warranty book provided when you purchase the car. I would imagine it's classed as an wear and tear like clutch, tyres, leather etc - but I don't have a book to hand in order to check.

http://www.audi.co.uk/content/dam/audi/production/PDF/UsedCars/Non-FSA%20Warranty%20Policy_v14.pdf
Page 10 of the link you provided mentions exhaust but the brackets around the catalytic converter exception are not clear - I think they are in the wrong place. I realise that an exhaust getting a hole is not covered, but I would think the sound actuator (like the cat) is covered for failure.

#12 ·
Funny thing the other day. Just telling someone at work that I'd bought a SQ5 and he immediately drooled about one he saw in Germany. Couldn't believe the sound (in and out) and speed etc, so understated - a real Q car. He then chuckled and said the guy who owned it even put a TDi badge on it to fool people - he said what's the point...who's going to believe its a diesel...when I told him it was actually a diesel..his jaw dropped... What...with that sound etc etc!?

Anyhoo...the new 911 also uses a sound actuator - was featured in Autocar a couple of weeks ago.

Reactions: ray.afzal and José
#13 ·
A guy got out of one from a test drive at the showcase I was at last week and hadn't realised it was a diesel either! He actually didn't believe me as a fellow punter and went and asked one of the Audi sales guys!

Reactions: Fat Belly Budda
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.