Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I drive my Q5 (2.0L T) in a city; driving here is a quite aggressive (like Paris but more chaotic). I spend most of my time in traffic and stop-and-go situations. I feel the car has a serious lag issue especially when moving at very slow speeds. If I'm at a stop the car has no problem accelerating; it's only when I just start to move, then slow down ever so slightly, then try and accelerate again that the lag is most prominent; actually it becomes a bit dangerous because it messes up my timing when I'm trying to cross a busy intersection!

Once it speeds up, say over 10mph it's very smooth and quicker than most on the road so no complaints there : )

Anyone else feeling a bit let down by the lag issue? Any fixes out there that my dealer can help with? Unfortunately I can't do any mods outside of dealership as we do not have 3rd party shops that specialize in this activity.

Thanks and regards...

·
Registered
963 Posts
Might be worth asking if anyone has had their ecu retuned to see if that helps. If it does I'm sure there will be a few companies who can email you a tune.

Where abouts are you
Maybe there is an ABT dealer near you.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm guessing you've got the S-Tronic and if so, I suspect that the momentary backing off the throttle could be confusing the box such that it doesn't know if the next gear should be up or down and maybe its preselecting the wrong one.
You see, this gear box always has 2 gears selected - the current gear plus either the next gear up or down from the current one. If you are accelerating then the box always selects the next gear up, if you're decelerating then it selects the next one down. If has selected the next gear up (for instance because you are gently accelerating) then you give it a boot full such that the box wants to change down, then it must deselect the gear up and select the gear down from the current one and then do the clutch change thing (swap between gear shafts) before you get any go..... the result is a lag.

Doesn't necessarily help you out though does it! Try driving the car in "S" mode or in manual mode and then see if you still experience the same issue. I often move the shifter back to "S" when turning tight corners (from one street to another) and when I need to pull out of a street into traffic - give it a go, it might cure your issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for chiming in guys, am quite sure now that's it's the S-Tronic getting all confused; very interesting regarding the overlapping change sequence between gears, thus the smooth shifts I'm assuming? Too bad the system isn't a bit more intuitive. My cousin has an A4 1.8T, his car has more gears and no lag issue.

Guess I'll just have to keep it in Sport mode; there goes my fuel economy, and my back, and-and-and... ; )

·
Registered
480 Posts
Thanks for chiming in guys, am quite sure now that's it's the S-Tronic getting all confused; very interesting regarding the overlapping change sequence between gears, thus the smooth shifts I'm assuming? Too bad the system isn't a bit more intuitive. My cousin has an A4 1.8T, his car has more gears and no lag issue.

Guess I'll just have to keep it in Sport mode; there goes my fuel economy, and my back, and-and-and... ; )
Does the Q5 S-tronic come with a 6 or 7 speed box?

·
Registered
963 Posts
7 at the moment. Probably 8 next year.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I think the 8 speed is a conventional slush box rather than S-Tronic (DSG) - I may be wrong.

·
Registered
279 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm guessing you've got the S-Tronic and if so, I suspect that the momentary backing off the throttle could be confusing the box such that it doesn't know if the next gear should be up or down and maybe its preselecting the wrong one.
You see, this gear box always has 2 gears selected - the current gear plus either the next gear up or down from the current one. If you are accelerating then the box always selects the next gear up, if you're decelerating then it selects the next one down. If has selected the next gear up (for instance because you are gently accelerating) then you give it a boot full such that the box wants to change down, then it must deselect the gear up and select the gear down from the current one and then do the clutch change thing (swap between gear shafts) before you get any go..... the result is a lag.

Doesn't necessarily help you out though does it! Try driving the car in "S" mode or in manual mode and then see if you still experience the same issue. I often move the shifter back to "S" when turning tight corners (from one street to another) and when I need to pull out of a street into traffic - give it a go, it might cure your issue.
I posted about this same problem a while ago, and Crusty's explanation makes perfect sense to me now as to why the car is doing it, as I only get it at the low speeds as well. Ta for that Crusty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts