Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
I read this and was left with more questions than answers!

It did not specify if they were new or old cars and trhat would make a difference

It did not mention models, so it is already a wee bit biased if only using manufacturer!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Warranty Direct provide warranties for cars out of manufacturers warranty. In this case the cars referred to should be over three years old at least.

I have to say I find this quite disturbing for the image I have of Audi.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Pg220, I totally agree but there are many other factors, servicing, driving style, etc!

Most of the folks here tend to let you know the problems they experienced and how it was resolved.

·
Banned
842 Posts
Ah lies, damn lies and statistics.

Doesn't take into account capita of owners, age of vehicle, mileage, whether vehicles had regular servicing, driving style, environment etc.

Warranty company releases data to demonstrate cars break down! Shock horror!

1 in 27 Audi's insured with Warranty direct suffer "engine reliability" issues - which is what especially? Alternator, starter motor? These are parts that are wear and tear and will fail eventually. This also equates to a failure rate of 3.7%

The sceptic in me also thinks that your average Audi owner may also be more afluent and be able to afford to insure their car against such failures. I also wonder how many of these "failures" occur relatively soon after taking the policy out.

Pinch of salt, pinch of salt, pinch of salt.

At the end of the day I know what car I'd rather be driving.

Reactions: Steppy

·
Registered
963 Posts
I tend to agree Chopper. Most Audi's will be in manufacturers warranty for 3 to 5 years. So we're talking about older models that have an after market warranty. Technology and reliability has improved in recent years and there are plenty of old Audi's still on the road in fairly good condition which must say something for the brand. Plus older cars are still sought after.
None of this speculation takes into account the cars service history and it may even be a good marketing ploy to get people to buy an an aftermarket warranty.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took the article with me to the focus group tonight. I was told there was an issue with one of the 2 litre petrol engines some years ago where the valves needed replacing on a regular basis.

It would be interesting to see the figures if that particular engine was removed from the stats.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Playing devils advocate.......

If your average Audi owner is more affluent then surely there is more chance that the vehicle will have been regularly cared for and serviced by a main Audi dealer. I would also suggest the average owner is more likely to maintain their Audi and drive it in a reasonable manner.

Even taking it with a very large pinch of salt, 1 in 27 is p**s poor compared to 1 in 344 for Honda or 1 in 177 for toyota.

As for plenty of old Audis knocking around, watch any programme or news item from war torn areas such as Afghanistan or Somalia and the battered old vehicle traversing any terrain with 12 occupants onboard, rarely bears the beloved Audi rings.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I would never own an Audi outside of warranty, they start to break down after 5 years. Why are we surprised that Honda is more reliable? I see loads of 10 year old Honda and Toyota's on the road, I don't see that many old Audi/Merc/BMW cars. Audi service intervals (20k miles) are not frequent enough for a car you want to see 10 years or +200k miles out of.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I picked up my car today and was told the article had certainly provoked some discussion in the dealership, so much so that they feel they need to prepare a response as it is not the image they want to project.

I have asked to be copied on their response and I will post it here if and when I get it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm one of those 27 when in December ERG valve failed and the car 'safety' system kicked in and made my drive very unsafe by not allowing me to drive over 50mph. That was that but what was worrying was that this ERG valve failure is a known common fault. I have a new Q5 on order due in March and my wife is not happy and I have to say that after reading the several worrying reports on this forum on ther Stronic box I am seriously considering cancelling the order. In fact I have it on m list of things to do to contact Audsi about the Stronic faults and unless they convnce me that its sorted I'm cancelling.

·
Banned
801 Posts
I'm one of those 27 when in December ERG valve failed and the car 'safety' system kicked in and made my drive very unsafe by not allowing me to drive over 50mph. That was that but what was worrying was that this ERG valve failure is a known common fault. I have a new Q5 on order due in March and my wife is not happy and I have to say that after reading the several worrying reports on this forum on ther Stronic box I am seriously considering cancelling the order. In fact I have it on m list of things to do to contact Audsi about the Stronic faults and unless they convnce me that its sorted I'm cancelling.
Problem with the EGR valve have many diesel engines: BMW, Mercedes, Fiat, Peugeot, etc............. it's not just a problem with Audi
This is a general problem of all diesel engines

Solution to the problem with the EGR valve is cheap and fast, it is necessary to clean the same

·
Registered
150 Posts
Problem with the EGR valve have many diesel engines: BMW, Mercedes, Fiat, Peugeot, etc............. it's not just a problem with Audi
This is a general problem of all diesel engines

Solution to the problem with the EGR valve is cheap and fast, it is necessary to clean the same
My discomfort is not simply that there is a fault with the EGR valve (and it is a fault because the part they replaced it with was a part that they had altered to address the problem) what worries me more is (it seems to me) that when the computer picks up any fault it shuts down the fuel supply to engine so that it suddenly drops speed and won't accelerate and when that happens it's really quite scary and it's dangerous.

·
Banned
801 Posts
My discomfort is not simply that there is a fault with the EGR valve (and it is a fault because the part they replaced it with was a part that they had altered to address the problem) what worries me more is (it seems to me) that when the computer picks up any fault it shuts down the fuel supply to engine so that it suddenly drops speed and won't accelerate and when that happens it's really quite scary and it's dangerous.
I understand you, the same happened to me with a Mercedes, but simply electronics recognizes a failure and limit the power of the engine.

7 years ago I had a problem with Audi (A4 MY2003), the engine had a limit, because two bulbs in the rear lights stopped working. Explanation is that the electronics recognize the loss of resistance is considered as a failure ????

·
Registered
522 Posts
Would be interesting to have comments on the survey from owners with cars over 4 years old............. how reliable are they??

·
Registered
72 Posts
Had a valve go in my 6 yrs old a4 2.0Tdi sline multitronic. We were going on holiday with my folks. Luckily other car was a disco so transferred the kids and I waited it out for the valve to be change. Cost me £250 odd(can't quite remember as over a year ago) and a couple of hours wait. When valve went I could still drive, but had no power, so acceleration was more like 0-30 in 60 seconds....not a pleasant feeling but luckily their was an Audi garage close to the next junction on the motorway so I didn't have to drive far.
Apart from that, I never had a problem with my car, so I can live with a £250 cost over 6 years

·
Registered
150 Posts
At the risk of repeating myself, it's not that cars break down, it's not even that a car may have a dodgy part which they know about but say nothing, it's the fact that when something goes wrong the computer decides (not the driver) to shut the engine down and it does it for supposed safety reasons when in fact it makes it unsafe - that's what irritates me!.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts