Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

My first post in this forum
. Picking up my new toy towards end of this month.

I am looking for some advise on engine break-in procedures. Do you think this is still relevant with modern engines? I am going for an S-Line 2 ltd TDI with S-Tronic transmission.

Many thanks,
Jai

·
Registered
706 Posts
The owners book explains all. Just drive normally for the first 1000 miles without full throttle and keeping reves below 3000rpm, especially when cold. Gardually increase after that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot. It's a shame that Audi don't provide owners manual as soft copies.

I also read in another website that it is a good idea to change the oil after 1000 miles. Is this necessary?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Hi frenzyghost,

Welcome to forum,
I picked up same model as you yesterday.
Nothing mentioned at handover, and I didn't read the owners manual as yet.
Had a good drive around the countryside with it, and just used instinctive common sense, i.e treat it with a bit of respect.
Didn't wrap her in cottonwool, but certainly didn't floor it or redline either.
Didn't pay much attention to rev counter, but doubt I had her above 3000 rpm.
I will keep an eye on that figure from now though.

Very nice ride, suspension and steering just right for my needs (standard suspension, not S-line)

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
It's under warranty,so drive it however u want 😄

Reactions: Snow Man

·
Registered
233 Posts
With Snow Man on this one, give it some welly, once engine as warmed up a bit.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Hi welcome. I'm with snowman on this one too!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Page 173 says:-
"How the vehicle is driven in the first 1500km influences the engine quality. After this period you should continue driving at moderate engine speeds, in particular when the engine is cold. This helps to reduce wear and tear on the engine and increases the mileage which can be covered by the engine"

Of course the owners manual could be wrong.

Reactions: Steppy and Ransman

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I totally agree that the manual does in deed say that - both my R8 and RS5 manuals say the same thing.
However, ALL R8s are run at 8250RPM for 15mins at the factory to test the performance of the engine meets the output numbers.
The RS5 is road tested on the factory test tack before despatch.

if it was so important to adhere to the manual why would the manufacturer not stick to the same rules?
Another school of thought is that if you don't "exercise" the car you get a lazy engine. Its under warranty - better for it to fail sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Welcome mate. I have the same engine set up and now covered 1200 miles in a month. Treated it reasonably gentle and engine noticeably looser now and goes well. drive normally and wouldn't worry, it's an Audi, this is what you may for......

·
Registered
137 Posts
if your worried follow the manual but as long as the engine is up to temp use and abuse it you cant fluff the gears as its an auto and just remember to cool down the turbo before switching off the engine just go back to normal driving for 10 mins before switching it off

i have given all my cars the beans from new and never had any issues as i allow the engine to warm up and cool down

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just go for it...........

My experience of VAG group diesel engines is that they don't really start to loosen up until 30k + miles.

Echo of others here - enjoy it!!!

J

·
Registered
120 Posts
I asked the delaer about this and the head service guy. Both said there is no need to break in anymore, just get in a go!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Probably more important that you bed in the brake pads and tyres for 100 miles or so, how you treat the engine is up to you. You will find opinion split between those who say it doesn't matter how you drive it (some would suggest it's actually beneficial) and those that follow the handbook. I personally like to build up gradually over the first 1000 miles, but then I am into deferred gratification. HTH

1 - 16 of 16 Posts