Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had this come on and the manual says to drive slowly to a qualified workshop without delay. Of course, the service people have just gone home.

My salesman advised me to ring Audi Assist and they should be here soon to plug in and see what the problem is. I will update after they have been.

Only 3,000 miles on the clock and did a long trip Bristol to Cambridge this week so shouldn't be a DPF issue wouldn't have thought......

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
I would agree, it seems unlikely to be DPF with only 3,000 miles. Fingers crossed for you.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
It was an Ad-Blue issue. There was a difference between what the main control unit thought the level was and what the sender was reporting. He thinks the tank may not have been topped up on the PDI. It is showing 29% full and I have done less than 3,000 miles.

I need to go back to the dealers to get them to sort it but, in the meantime, it is safe to drive.

Interesting to see the diagnostics though and the report being filed directly from his laptop to Ingolstadt.

Edited to add screenshot of the technicians laptop.

Attachments

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
Good news, I am pleased it was an easy fix.

I did read one post where a chap had a leak in his Ad-Blue system which made a horrendous stain on his driveway. May be worth asking dealer to check your system for a leak.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Strange this Q5's randomly fitted with Ad-blue, mines is March 2012 NO Ad-blue....

There must be a reason cars in the UK having this but not leagally required.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good news, I am pleased it was an easy fix.

I did read one post where a chap had a leak in his Ad-Blue system which made a horrendous stain on his driveway. May be worth asking dealer to check your system for a leak.
Good point, I remember reading about that, but there an no signs of any leaks on the driveway

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Strange this Q5's randomly fitted with Ad-blue, mines is March 2012 NO Ad-blue....

There must be a reason cars in the UK having this but not leagally required.
Mine's October 2012. Surely it's a date thing??

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Well the "AdBlue in 650 miles" warning has just come up. As the first warning is supposed to be at 1500 miles to go it does suggest there might be a leak in the system. I will push the dealership to get it sorted early next week.

Incidentally I took a picture of the laptop running it's diagnostics but can't work out how to post it on here. Any tips please?? Worked it out - see earlier post.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I was under the impression that MY2013 diesels have ad blue, earlier cars don't. Doesn't sound good that there is possibly two leaks out of the small number of new Q5 owners on this forum.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi guys ... it was unfortunately my q that had that adblue leak. It hasnt stopped there im afraid its still ongoing , ive now got paint coming off and various other small problems, At the moment their trying to suggest paintwork but that isnt going to happen. i must say the car is awesome though apart from the adblue issue etc

The new model qs all have the adblue system its to comply with the new euro diesel regs. The exhaust system is one complicated expensive joke just waiting to go wrong on these vehicles, i must stress its not just Audi its all manufactures having to comply with emission regs. And the good news is its only going to get worse.
I got back last week from a fuel conference discussing future vehicles etc and have it be known the demise of the diesel vehicle has begun. Were all going to go back to petrol within 10 years and maybe even dare i say it production gas...
that may have something to do with us having tons of the stuff stored under the cliffs of dover apparently :)

Due to the new regs and the problems were all going to face with new diesel vehicles over the next five years no ones going to want diesels any more, repair bills are going to be stupid and most problems aren't even covered under manufacturers warranties !! Im afraid once the next stage of the Euro regulation hits, diesels will have been forced out and will be unable to comply. Were all going to be driving small direct injection bi turbo petrol engines at least till the oil companies stop paying off the manufactures and we switch to hydrogen :)

If the particulate filter wasnt bad enough eh !! :)

hope you get your issue sorted out, i think we will be seeing alot more on here !!

·
Banned
842 Posts
Joy!

Reactions: Steppy

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
Interesting post cruiser.

Those guys who remove DPFs will soon be marketing a system to remove the Ad-Blue, watch this space?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dealer filled the AdBlue tank and it will be booked in in the New Year as it needs a software update which takes about 2 1/2 hours. Only two months old and needs a software update!

They will collect and return to my workplace (only a couple of miles from the dealership). With any luck it will be cleaned while they have it :)

·
Banned
842 Posts
I've been interested in deleting the DPF from the system, just wondering if the car would still pass the emissions tests come MOT time?

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
I've been interested in deleting the DPF from the system, just wondering if the car would still pass the emissions tests come MOT time?
There is quite a bit of debate about this. AFAIK, the MOT emissions test is the same for all vehicles first used on or after 1st August 1979. Thus, unless your ultra modern diesel is smokier without its DPF system than a 33 yr old relic, that should not be an issue. However, it might be prudent to retain the DPF and Ad-Blue systems, so that you could have them re-instated if necessary.

·
Banned
801 Posts
Dealer filled the AdBlue tank and it will be booked in in the New Year as it needs a software update which takes about 2 1/2 hours. Only two months old and needs a software update!

They will collect and return to my workplace (only a couple of miles from the dealership). With any luck it will be cleaned while they have it :)
Maybe the cars two months old but software???

Software in a car is like any other software.
When detects a problem the software needs upgrade

Audi from 2008 has a new system, all software updates are done online from Ingolstadt. Local dealers can not do anything with software or any upgrade
Not one dealer in the world, has nothing with a software upgrade, everything is done online

In its database kept all the problems that have appeared all over the world
It helps them in finding a common solution for all vehicles.
Audi makes somewhat as do all the software manufacturer

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rather than continue this on the "AdBlue Range" thread in the general discussion, thought I would summarise where we are on this thread.

Sat 15th December
After around 3,000 miles from new EML came on - called Audi Assist who sent RAC. RAC man reported fault in AdBlue system, showing as 28.8% full. Reckoned it hadn't been filled on PDI. He didn't have any AdBlue so couldn't top up the tank. He reset the computer so EML went out. After a few miles the EML came back on then after a few more miles "AdBlue 650 miles" displayed.

Monday 17th December Took car to Bristol Audi who filled the AdBlue tank but said there was a software update required and would need to be booked in in the new year. All warning lights extinguished.

Wednesday 19th December EML and "AdBlue 650 miles" came on whilst on first leg of a 120 mile round trip, which dropped to 600 miles before reaching destination. Called Audi Assist and RAC man reckoned the computer had not been reset when Bristol Audi filled the AdBLue tank. He could not reset the computer and the AdBlue range had dropped to 550 miles by the time I arrived home.

Thursday 20th December Taken into Bristol Audi who noticed a "weep" from a pipe. AdBlue tank filled, computer reset and pipe placed on order to be delivered from Germany.

Monday 24th December Driving in to work EML came on. Rang Bristol Audi to request a courtesy car but was told that the pipe was in and they could fix it if I dropped the car over. The car was taken to the garage and collected at 1230hrs. The EML light came on after less than 10 miles, with the "AdBlue 650 miles" coming on within a few more miles. Tried ringing Bristol Audi at 1530hrs but they (understandably) had closed early for Xmas so could not drop the car into the garage and collect a courtesy car over the holiday period. Keeping fingers crossed.

Thursday 27th December Car dropped into Bristol Audi and courtesy car picked up. Call from them later to say a special tool was needed and it was being ordered in. Will have the car until at least COP Friday.

The courtesy car is a 12 plate Q5 S-Line which I am sure must be a 3 litre as it goes pretty well (and seems to drink fuel at a faster rate as well). other comments as follows:
  • The steering is not as nice as on the facelift version; I think I would have been put off buying a Q5 if it had been like that on the demo car.
  • The HD satnav is certainly an improvement over the one on the tech pack low.
  • I don't like the dark interior on the S-Line. I am surprised there isn't an option to have a lighter interior (without getting the panoramic roof)
  • I do miss the powered tailgate.
Fingers crossed they find the fault and fix it this time. This is not what I had expected from an Audi.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have been told the AdBlue pump has packed up and will have to be ordered from Germany and it will probably take two weeks to fix. The only downside is I might get used to the extra power of the 3 litre engine on the courtesy car :-(

It's nice to have Xenon's back for a while. You sure miss them once you have had them.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts