Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a major issue recently - could have been killed. Parked my Audi Q5 S Line 2.0 TDi on my drive prior to putting it into the garage. Obviously I put the electronic handbrake on before getting out the vehicle. With my driveway having an approximately 30degree slope towards my garage it would be impossible not to notice it being on when exiting the vehicle. So imagine my shock when I am hit by the car & crushed against my garage door frame by the front near side of my car. Fractured pelvis & a lot of pain & aggravation. Anyone else experience such handbrake failures / deactivation? Very concerned that Audi may not be treating this as serious as I would wish, they're very defensive at moment...... I seem to be the only real driving force & I get the distinct impression that Audi are already thinking along the lines of 'this couldn't happen'. Well hopefully this is going to get fixed without me involving 'ambulance chasers'. Be interested if anyone else has experienced similar handbrake failures / deactivations........ without the pain.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Wow really sorry to hear that Victor, hope you are recovering well.

Did you have a manual or an auto? If auto was it in Park?

Reactions: VictorMeldrew

·
Banned
842 Posts
Wow really sorry to hear that Victor, hope you are recovering well.

Did you have a manual or an auto? If auto was it in Park?
Don't think you can take the key out of the ignition until it is?

Would have to be a manual.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all - yes, it's manual. In terms of my health I have made a fantastic recovery. 6 wks today since the incident & I'm walking, albeit with one stick..... been a team effort with three fantastic surgeons, screws bolts & plates & what with a fabulous family, sisters/brothers-in-law & not forgetting a nurse for a wife, I'm blessed. Additionally, one of the surgeons gave me the nod that Im good to go on a planned 3 wk holiday in five weeks time - I will b rid of the stick by then........ just the small thing about the car now.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Good to hear you are recovering.

I reckon legally you will have a tough battle as you cannot prove that the handbrake was applied properly. They will also point to advice that the car should be left in gear etc. Unless you really want a fight and have some evidence it may not be worth the cost and hassle.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Do you have hill hold assist and how old is your car. Do you know if the red light was on after impact.
Glad you are better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good point davyk31 - I'm certainly in agreement with that & in accepting my role in the incident.

Don't know to be honest shabazmo - car is just over a year old, I don't buy brand new as paying VAT bugs me.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
There is VAT on a used car too, actually if my memory serves me correctly the dealer has to pay VAT on the profit margin in a used car.....

·
Registered
706 Posts
Correct, there is vat on used cars as well. Dealers pay vat on profit which is the added value on both new and used cars. If you buy private the no vat is payable, but the vat on a dealers £1000 profit is only £200.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts