Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Hello again,

Just a quick one regarding this option, which I have taken, as I have quite a narrow garage door.
I'm sure many of you have this option.
Are they factory set to fold in/fold out when ignition is turned off/on
Or set that you can operate yourself, to fold them in and out as desired ?

Probably a ridiculous question, but just thinking that once in the garage, I wouldn't want them automatically unfolding on ignition, as I wouldn't be able to reverse out again ??!

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
They can be set to fold on lock, they unfold on ignition on (not unlock).

You can manually force them to stay folded by turning the L/R adjuster knob all the way down to the bottom (top, (i.e. between L and R) is mirror heat if you have that option). The symbols on the knob are clear enough.

So basically when you drive in turn the knob all the way around, then after driving out put it back to mirror heat if you have it or L/R. Don't go to quick as the unfold automatically above a few MPH.

Also note, if you set it to L and put it in reverse the passenger mirror tips down so you can see the kerb. This annoys me as I often use this for parallel parking, and then have to remember to put it back to mirror heat the next cold morning! (Minor issue, but on such a great car, the few little issues get to you!)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, ok thanks,

I'll basically be requiring them to do the opposite of what most people may require,

i.e. fold them right in while engine is still running, to drive into the garage,
then have them stay folded in when engine starts, till reversed out of garage..

By your reply it's obviously all do able with a bit of fiddling.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hmm, ok thanks,

I'll basically be requiring them to do the opposite of what most people may require,

i.e. fold them right in while engine is still running, to drive into the garage,
then have them stay folded in when engine starts, till reversed out of garage..

By your reply it's obviously all do able with a bit of fiddling.
You will be fine and the car will do what you want when putting it away. The knob for the mirrors is by your right hand and once rotated 180 degrees the mirrors will fold in and stay folded until you return the knob to it's normal position. The benefit is the mirrors will also auto fold in when you lock the car. If you don't like this then you can change it via the MMI but it's a boon for car parks and an easy visual check the car has locked.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I fold my mirrors in just to get through the door frame then open them up again to help me to judge how far to put the car over. This also helps when backing out as I can see how close I am to the door frame, I fold them again just to get through the gap.

I have just tried folding them and leaving them folded when I lock the car. As soon as I unlock the car and put on the ignition they unfold despite the button being in the folded position.

My mirrors are set to folding on locking

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right,

Well thanks for all the help with that.. who would have thought there was even a discussion to be had in reversing in and out of a garage !
All sounds good!

·
Registered
795 Posts
i have these folding door mirrors but the 'puddle light' is pointless - because if i park my car when it is dry and then return to it when it has rained - despite unlocking my Q5 - i have to get into it (stepping in any puddles that may be there now) to turn on the ignition in order to extend the mirrors so the puddle light can light up the ground i just stood in when it was dark.

there is no point having puddle lights that only illuminate AFTER i have stood in the puddle that i didn't see because i have to start the engine to turn them them on!

is there an VAGcom hack that lets the door mirrors extend and turn on the puddle light before i get into the car?

in its default setting - the puddle light is only good for showing people the puddle you didn't see and have just stood in!

ideas anyone?

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
There is a setting where u can not have mirrors on auto fold wen car locks and parked,so puddle lights will do there job with mirrors in that position

·
Registered
795 Posts
There is a setting where u can not have mirrors on auto fold wen car locks and parked,so puddle lights will do there job with mirrors in that position
but i want them to fold when the car locks - otherwise there is no point in having them - just like i want my puddle lights to illuminate the puddle before i stand in it - otherwise there is no point in having them.

isn't anyone else with folding door mirrors disappointed every time they park their car when it is dry - only to return when it is raining and stand in a puddle because the puddle lights don't illuminate it?

manufacturers of much cheaper cars can get this right - why can't Audi get it right on the Q5?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Does anyone know if these can be retro fitted? One thing I don't have on mine but miss haveing from my old car

·
Registered
768 Posts
Does anyone know if these can be retro fitted? One thing I don't have on mine but miss haveing from my old car
I tried to have them retro fitted on a RRS SE but no can do. Hopefully can be done on a Q5. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts