Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,I think I may need to change the EGR cooler on my 3.0tdi. Can anyone help me with instructions for this. I may well let Audi do it but fear what their quote will be!! Thanks all MOSS

·
Registered
706 Posts
Any idea why you need to change it? Symptons etc.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only symptom is the engine lift which comes on every few days. The manifold and egr valves are clear (infact almost clean) so from what I can see online the egr cooler is probably to blame.

The car itself drives perfectly.

Regards mark.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Yes, that seems right, the EGR valve should be black and dry and if clean, then coolant is leaking and steam cleaing the valve. I assume that you also have white smoke from the exhaust and missing coolant from te radiator.

What is "engine lift?"

I will look out the instructions this evening and post some more information. PM me your email address.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Also year of your car

·
Registered
64 Posts
I recently bought a new Q5 3.0ltr and my company has kept my old one as a pool car. The EGR warning light came on a few weeks ago but didn't effect the running at all. The quote from Audi was £1350.00 to replace and just had it done by an independent garage for £313.50 including VAT and all labour. The part was £163.50 and labour 5 hours at £30. Light is now off and car as good as new with 113000 miles and still running sweetly.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello Audi have diagnosed and are replacing the egr cooler

I have read that the swirl flaps (what ever they are) are a weak point and that new arms can be fitted.

Is this a job that should be done and if so is it in the same area?

Ie. would it be easy to do for them whilst they do this job, or is it a seperate job all together?

Thanks mark.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Mark,
I think you should ask for more detail about the swirl flaps as I have never heard of this before!! Better to fully understand what they are doing to your Q, sorry I can't help on this one.

Doug

·
Registered
706 Posts
Swirl flaps are located in the inlet manifold and looks easy to replace. Not really part of the EGR.

Overview
The air induced via the front end flows along a plastic air line to the
throttle valve. After leaving the throttle valve, the recirculated
exhaust gas is admitted to the intake line in a flow-optimised
fashion via a thermally decoupled sheet-metal intake made of
stainless steel.
The geometric design of the exhaust gas intake helps to avoid
build-up on the inner wall of the plastic tube at all operating
points while ensuring a good degree of mixing.
EGR inlet
Throttle valve control unit
J338
Twin-fl ow intake manifold
Central swirl flap
479_012
In the new TDI engine swirl is controlled by a single swirl flap, as
compared to the six swirl fl aps used previously in the (first generation)
3.0l V6 TDI engine. After the central swirl flap, the intake
manifold has a twin-flow configuration up to both cylinder banks.
The upper half channels air into the swirl ports and the lower half
into the charging ports.
For this purpose, plastic intake manifold comprises three frictionwelded
shells. The intake manifold geometry was enhanced over
the course of several calculation loops with respect to pressure loss
and uniform distribution of the air fl ows to the individual cylinders.

If you PM me you email address and I can send pictures.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks - that sounds like good news then - it sounds like a problem on the old car. A case of too much googling by me! Audi did not suggest replacing the swirl flap links etc - so I shall just let then get on with replacing the erg cooler - Im guessing the only difference I will notice is the lack of orange glow from the dashboard as otherwise the car ran perfectly. Thanks Mark

·
Registered
706 Posts
Just had a look at my A7 3.0tdi and can see that in rider to remove the egr valve, you have to remove the inlet manifold and hence the swirl flaps. The swirl flap looks like its electrically controlled and not a cheap item. In any event it is easy to replace at ant time whereas the egr valve is a bit more involved.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As a side note the dealers have said the job will take 16 hours - seems like its a bigger Jon than I thought.

Car should be back Wenesday. Im in a new A3 at the moment - makes me realise what a pleasure the q5 is
Roll on Wednesday!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As a final note, got the q5 back today, all A1.

I think it's fair to highlight the excellent service from Liverpool Audi.

The works initially where around £1500.

Liverpool Audi secured me a little over £1000 goodwill from Audi, leaving me with a contribution of £487.

This included a loan car for 8 days.

As my car is nearly 18 months out of warranty and on 83000 miles I considered this excellent and consistent with previous service.

Considering I read so many awful dealer experiences, I think it only fair to highlight this.

Regards mark.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Absolutely agree with you. The good and the bad should be equally highlighted. A nice result for you and some good PR for Audi UK and Liverpool in particular. Good work all round

·
Registered
706 Posts
Five stars for Liverpool Audi. Please pass our appreciation of their excellent service. I would however like you to answer the following questions in order to understand whether this is normal practice or did they do something special for you. Did you buy the car from them? Did you buy it new? How many cars have you bought from them? Did they service your car from when you bought it? Is there anything in your relationship with them that encouraged such a service? I feel that these are important answers we would like to know in order to understand what drives good service. Thanks

·
Registered
261 Posts
Lol, It's just good service. I have no special connection with Liverpool Audi. I have had my cars serviced by them for the last 5+ years. I have not bought one from them yet, but that may change next time round. I am the second owner of the q5, having bought it with 73k miles on it.

I do always make sure I say please and thank you though!

·
Registered
706 Posts
I guess service works both ways.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts