Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Efficiency mode is it really that much different from auto mode. 3.0 tdi 245 bh
This week I've drove home from work 5.5 miles each night and done a comparison in both modes and found that auto mode I registered 32.1 MPG and in efficiency mode 31.2 MPG. Stayed quite consistent with throttle at approximately 60MPH once in top gear throughout journey. So why was auto better?

This trip consists of 4 roundabout which is just a matter of slowing down, 4 miles of dual carriage way and the rest made up of a road speed of 30 MPH.

Done this twice in each mode through the week and auto won each time why? tonight in dynamic mode got 26. 1 not the best mode if looking to save fuel.
Or is it that efficiency mode comes in to it's own on long runs, but surly the same must be said for auto mode once in top gear can't be anything in it seeing the modes only change the speed at which the gears get in to top its not like have overdrive where revs drop once engaged ahh overdrive I loved that TR6 many a moon ago.
Any views on this or am I doing something wrong.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Your foot will have a much bigger effect than any program; it's a mental thing, if you put it in effeciency you'll drive more economical by yourself
only the higher gear shifting points in dynamic mode will result of course in higher fuel consumption; all other modes are the same regarding fuel consumption

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
I would expect efficiency to show a bigger difference when doing an predominantly urban run... As you say on a 60/70mph road in top gear there isn't much it can do to help, but when constantly changing speed the earlier gear shifts will make a bigger difference.

As for why auto wins in your test, it's pure speculation but accelerating to your cruising speed at a reasonable rate as opposed to taking your time is more efficient, so auto will allow you to do that at the roundabouts quicker than efficiency.

I definitely get 0.5-1mpg better out of E, and most of my driving is sub 30mph in the week. I am comparing that to my individual settings (which is auto engine/gearbox). Also consider that if the driver input is gentle than Auto will go towards E. It would be interesting to compare the mpg of a spirited drive in E/A.

Your figures are really close though and so slight variance in driver input will account for that amount of difference here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I have an A7 30TDi as a run around
I find E is actually worse than D at times - i dont see a real world differences thats for sure.

The DIS setting for it is great though.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Bonzoboy, you made me curious and I took a ride in efficiency mode to find a difference.
I did not monitor fuel economy, but I did find a big and veeeeeeeeeeeery frustrating difference:

no matter how hard you push the gas pedal, it just won't accellarate decently... djee, how frustrating; it just prevents you from high speed accellaration... and as a result it might prevent you to burn some gallons of fuel that would have been burned in other modes...

anyhow, I hated the feeling of the non responsive gas pedal

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes Robin it's not a mode i use even for town work Jose it right you proberly do get a faction better fuel econony but i think it's like you said its all the the head because it gets into top at a slightly lower speed you think you must be saving a lot of fuel.

I can understand it must be even more frustrating in a SQ I've not tried if you can go into sport mode while in E mode I'll try that when next in the car.

If you can't select sport from E mode even more frustrating if someone wants to rock and roll with you time you select from button or MMI their be long gone.

Still got a long wait for mine.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Yes Robin it's not a mode i use even for town work Jose it right you proberly do get a faction better fuel econony but i think it's like you said its all the the head because it gets into top at a slightly lower speed you think you must be saving a lot of fuel.

I can understand it must be even more frustrating in a SQ I've not tried if you can go into sport mode while in E mode I'll try that when next in the car.

If you can't select sport from E mode even more frustrating if someone wants to rock and roll with you time you select from button or MMI their be long gone.

Still got a long wait for mine.
You can use the gear lever to select S even when in Efficiency mode.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's good to know thanks Jose. In your post launch control the vid, I tried to stop watch it with my phone I know it is hit and miss this way but I recorded a zero to 100 kph at 6.1 each time I tried, one whole second slower.

Have you tried having a go at this please have a go if you haven't I would like to know what you make it. i dont know why im so concerned about it but i think its the main reason I'm part x my new 3ltr for the SQ the speed factor I'm sure it's got other good things about it over the 3.0 ltr I've got now.

Snowman was going to have a go at 0 to 100 kph to see what he registers and let us know later.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
The vid isn't mine... I agree its more like 6 secs on it tho.
I will make one at some point and post it on here though.
It certainly feels like a 5 second car from experience, but its so ferocious off the line I haven't actually managed to look down at the dash before 70-80mph yet so no chance of timing it in my head!
As I say, will get the GoPro on my dash soon and we can see.
Also, the published figures will be a a vanilla car with no options weighing it down (like pano roof etc).

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Oh, and don't worry, it's plenty fast enough. Big diff from the 3.0 Q5!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay thanks I'll take your word for that just me being a div

1 - 11 of 11 Posts