Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using all three of these gadgets a lot in my first 500 miles and thought I would post my view on them...

Adaptive Cruise Control
This is enabled all the time when I am driving, weather at 30 or 70...
It takes all the annoyance a normal cruise system brings as it no longer highlights the vast majority of drivers inability to maintain a constant speed!
I did about 100 miles in one stretch without touching a pedal yesterday, including roundabout negotiation!
Highly recommended option and well worth the money.

PROS
Makes long hauls much less tiring as you don't have to concentrate so hard
In a motorway situation, when catching up with a car, once you feel it lift off to match its speed, if you indicate to overtake, as long as the fast lane is clear (it monitors the lane to the right as well as far as I can work out) it will immediately put the gas back on before you even start to move out - I thought this was a really clever touch.
Per the above, as it monitors the right lane it will not allow you to undertake, which is good I suppose!
If you get overtaken and they cut in close in front, as long as they continue to accelerate away from you it will not lift off - again a nice touch
You can bury the throttle for as long as you want and when you lift off it just gently comes back to the cruising speed - unless there is a car in front in which case it brakes hard to match their speed!
The preloaded brakes are really intuitive, once the system is braking, when you hear the bing to say "can you take over now we've reached 10mph" the pressure you apply to the pedal is in addition to the existing stopping power already applied without you getting a soft pedal for 2 inches while you catch up to where the system is

CONS/NIGGLES
Doesn't work below 10mph (must be doing 20mph to engage)
You have to get used to waiting for the car ahead to start to actually slow down before the ACC will brake as well rather than reacting to its brake lights (I worry as this trains you not to react to brake lights...)

Can anyone with a LHD car comment on if the radar dome is on the drivers side or not? Based on it monitoring the overtaking lane I would assume it would have to be...

Lane Assist
Took me a while to master this one, its all about very subtle inputs to guide the car.
On a motorway it will follow the lane you are in pretty well, if you let go of the wheel you will ping-pong left/right down your lane though, making you look a bit like a drunk driver!
The way to use it is don't fight it, allow the car to put the effort into the steering, so in a curve it hold the wheel pretty much in the right angle, and you just give suggestions through a tiny bit of weight (you can do it with your little finger) for fine adjustment to keep it in the centre of the lane.
It takes a bit of getting used to but is quite nifty when you get the hang of it.
It also makes you drive properly as changing lanes without indicating makes it get very upset with you!
Make sure you disable it for spirited single carriageway driving, I had a scary moment when it tried to put me back on the right side of the road when I crossed the middle line taking a corner quickly.
Overall I like it and would order it again, but it isn't a must.

PROS
Reduces effort and so tiredness on long hauls
Improves driving etiquette

CONS
Only really works on multi lane roads
Needs a line on the shoulder/central reservation to work properly

Side Assist
This is quite a clever gadget but I don't feel as useful as the first two.
It monitors closing speed quite well so someone piling up the fast lane while you are in the middle will cause the light to come on when they are still some distance away. Equally if some plonker is doing that just sit off your rear quarter but not overtake thing then as long as they are not overlapping the rear bumper it doesn't light up.
This one I would say most people would happily live without, but if you have it will likely still have it enabled 90% of the time.

PROS
Helps judge distances quite well as the wing mirrors of cause make that tricky with the demagnification

CONS
Can be annoying in city driving as leave too much gap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
842 Posts
I like the idea of the adaptive cruise control but the other two I fear I would become over reliant on the other two system and get lazy when changing lanes.

Thanks for the write up

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had side assist on last Q5 and used all the time as a safety aid but warn not to totally rely on!
As for acc found this great. Used when weather conditions poor as found that in fog an heavy rain the system found vehicles in front before they were visible. The down side was the avoidance system which bleeps if it thinks you are too close on braking.
Suffice to say both specified on new car along with lane assist this time.
Thanks Jose for the report which is most helpful.

·
Still Game
4,617 Posts
I found adaptive cruise control:
Would allow a large gap to the car in front and tempt others to overtake
As you approach a slower car you have to pull out to overtake quite early or the ACC would put on the brakes

·
Registered
123 Posts
really helpful information. thank you for posting. Does adaptive cruise control also maintain speed when going down an incline? (assuming that there is no other traffic about). I think BMW call this braked cruise control.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Regandcuths, I'd use the hill descent for an incline where I wanted to set and control the speed. It's an invaluable aid for me in snow and ice given the private hilly road from my house.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Simple answer is yes, whatever you go up or down it keeps the same speed, using the brakes if necessary.

As hector mentioned, for serious decents you want to do at crawling speeds, particularly if off road, use the hill decent control.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts