Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I've just joined the forum, and this is my first post, so hello to everyone.
This topic has no doubt been discussed before, but any info would be greatly appreciated.

I've just ordered a Q5, 2.0 TDI, S-tronic S-line plus, on the standard 20" wheels.

I don't want a 'hard' ride, and was tempted to go for the SE on 18" wheels, but after looking at all the extra's I would need to add, it made much more sense to get the improved ( and better looking ) S-line Plus.

Firstly, I did not 'order' S-line suspension, so the sales girl assures me it will come with standard suspension
Second, I paid for the Drive select option, as it's only £220.

My questions are, if you will bear with me :

Is it definite that it will come with the standard suspension and not S-line ? ( It seems a bit strange that an S-line would not automatically come with that suspension)

Is there a great deal of difference between the two in the actual dampers, or is it just that it's lower ?

Re: drive select, does this actuall 'soften' or 'harden' the ride between comfort and other options, or does it only affect the throttle, steering and gear changing? i.e have I wasted my time and money on drive-select ? ( though the price is not an issue really)

thanks in advance on any info or experience anyone can share on above points.

By the way, i did take a 2013 S-line plus (manual) for a test drive, and the suspension seemed fine to me, so hopefully they all come out of the factory pretty standard like vthat ?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Welcome to the forum

I do not know the difference between normal and S suspension; but for sure you can not change the ride comfort with the drive select; this only influences throttle response and steering

anyhow, Q5 is rather stiff suspension anyhow

·
Still Game
4,617 Posts
I had standard suspension on my Q5, S Line. Your dealer has confirmed what you have specified. You should have an order code which will enable you to verify options you specified via the on line configurator.

If you search you will find lots of discussion on suspension and wheels.

Post your details in New Member Introductions.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Robin,

I'm finding it quite difficult to get precise info on it.

I have just read somewhere else (not from official Audi site though) that ordering drive-select means the car arrives with S-line sport suspension, which defeats the object completely.

The Q5 Specs & Prices guide seems pretty vague on the subject, I need a more technical Audi brochure i think.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi missile,

Thanks for the advice, good idea about the configurator.

I have my Vehicle order document in front of me, which lists my various options, it says drive select, and doesn't mention S-line suspension.
Can't see an order code, just an 'enquiry number' maybe the same

·
Registered
289 Posts
AFAIK all Q5's come with standard suspension unless the (harder) S line suspension is specified as a no cost option. The SQ5 does come with lowered suspension but that's a different thing altogether. I personally would not spec the S line suspension as the car is firm enough for an SUV already IMHO. However the Audi UK web site is far from clear on the subject. The configurator offers a little more detail.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I have on order a Sline plus and it does not come with the Sline suspension, the configurator allows you to add drive select without the addition of Sline suspension.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
The Drive Select option alone won't give you the ability to change the ride, you also have to spec the 'damper control' option at £680. In doing so the harder, not lowered S line suspension is no longer an option. With damper control you can, via the drive select menu, choose soft/medium/hard suspension settings as it changes the electronic dampers.
Note that the Audi website incorrectly states that the damper control is formed on the basis of lowered sports suspension - IT IS NOT LOWER on the Q5.
ONLY the SQ5 has 30mm lowered suspension.
As you have ordered S Line Plus the 'Technology Pack - High' is standard, this allows you to access the Drive Select individual menu, so you can set Engine/Gearbox separately from Damper Settings (otherwise you are stuck with sloppy throttle/soft suspension or sharp throttle/hard suspension and cannot set them separately) - plus you get the full size screen and sat nav and parking plus etc etc.

Aside from this, as a couple of the guys have said, S Line Suspension is definitely not standard, you have to select it specifically on the options list.
As I say, its harder, not lower than the standard on the Q5.

So if you are really worried about it and have the cash, spec damper control so you can set the suspension who you want it, otherwise stick with the standard suspension.

My SQ5 is lower and hard than the standard Q5 and I still think the ride is EXCELLENT - but ride is subjective and depends on your previous experience and expectations A LOT!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies,and welcomes..

I think I have basically ordered the drive-select option for the wrong reasons, my own fault, but no big deal.
I can happily live with this, so long as the car still arrives with standard suspension, and from reading your replies above, it seems it will, as I did not specify S-line suspension.

On advice from here, have checked with the guide and configurator, and as mentioned above, there isn't a requirement for them to be linked, and as I now see that the SE can be ordered with drive select, (which doesn't have the s-line suspension option) I'm pretty confident that the article I read was incorrect.
apologies that I have sort of doubled up this line of enquiry on another thread I found on similar subject, again..Thanks.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Thanks for all the replies,and welcomes..

I think I have basically ordered the drive-select option for the wrong reasons, my own fault, but no big deal.
I can happily live with this, so long as the car still arrives with standard suspension, and from reading your replies above, it seems it will, as I did not specify S-line suspension.

On advice from here, have checked with the guide and configurator, and as mentioned above, there isn't a requirement for them to be linked, and as I now see that the SE can be ordered with drive select, (which doesn't have the s-line suspension option) I'm pretty confident that the article I read was incorrect.
apologies that I have sort of doubled up this line of enquiry on another thread I found on similar subject, again..Thanks.
If you just ordered you will be able to change the order no problem...

·
Registered
814 Posts
If you just ordered you will be able to change the order no problem...
I ordered on 31st Dec, on advice from the salesgirl that prices were increasing from 1st January, and that any changes I made after this date, however small, would cancel my price guarantee.
She gave me a couple days notice on this to be fair, and advised me to get all my options decided for definite, before she entered the order.

Regarding 'The Technology Pack-high' I'm pretty sure that this comes as standard on the S-line Plus !?

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
I ordered on 31st Dec, on advice from the salesgirl that prices were increasing from 1st January, and that any changes I made after this date, however small, would cancel my price guarantee.
She gave me a couple days notice on this to be fair, and advised me to get all my options decideddefinitely before she entered the order.
regarding 'The Technology Pack-high' I'm pretty sure that this comes as standard on the S-line Plus !?
Really! Sounds like a bit of bull to me - but as its only £220 no biggy I guess.

Realised you ordered Plus after posting, thought it was just S-Line on first read - edited my post just before you posted this reply!

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
It is correct, changes after a price increase does impact the price.

DS is no big deal, it doesn't really do much and i had the same issue as you - i didn't amend the order in the end and just fitted the kit post build. I think it cost me about 6quid. (dealer supplied the part and forgot to bill me). With hindsight i'm not sure the hour spent retro fitting the button was worth the end result tbh. You can enable soft DS without the button for nothing. (30secs with VAGCOM).

·
Banned
2,240 Posts

DS is no big deal, it doesn't really do much and i had the same issue as you - i didn't amend the order in the end and just fitted the kit post build. I think it cost me about 6quid. (dealer supplied the part and forgot to bill me). With hindsight i'm not sure the hour spent retro fitting the button was worth the end result tbh. You can enable soft DS without the button for nothing. (30secs with VAGCOM).
The problem is opposite to you Snow Man - Sj1000 has ordered Drive Select does doesn't really need it... (in that it will only effect engine/gearbox, not dampers/steering as the additional options required for those 2 have not been ordered).

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Thanks for the reply,

You lost me a bit there, what bit of kit for £6 ?

Do you mean you decided to install drive-select option post build, and did it for £6 ??

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Yeah, the connectors - it was less than £6, i just don't recall the amount.
As above you can enable DS on any car for nothing - only downside is it only works via a MMI screen, the button is the bit that costs money - but the dealer supplied that and failed to charge me for it. hence i got the fully functional DS for about £6.

Comments above from others are correct, you can't change what you don't have.
You would need the dampers option. on the Q5, i wouldn't bother tbh, you will just leave it in soft.

Ride is not hard on the Q5, if you have not select SL you will have no issues.
SL is not really that much harder, but you can tell its firmer.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok,
So just to be 100% sure, I tried contacting the sales girl at Audi who I ordered the car with.
She was off sick, so I asked to speak to anyone who could answer a technical question about my recent order.
I received a call back, guy, another salesman, very politely asking how he could help etc,
Said I just wanted to confirm, that as I ordered my Q5 with drive select, but did not request S-line suspension, that it would come with standard suspension.
He asked 'which model'? I replied 'S-line Plus'

To this he said ,'Well if it's an S-line Plus, ofcourse it will come with S-line suspension'
Rather perplexed I said 'Well I hope not, as that's not what it says in the brochure, says you need to order it specifically'
After a couple minutes studying the brochure or configurator at his end, he agreed with me.
Confidence boosting or what? Not really!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Ok,
So just to be 100% sure, I tried contacting the sales girl at Audi who I ordered the car with.
She was off sick, so I asked to speak to anyone who could answer a technical question about my recent order.
I received a call back, guy, another salesman, very politely asking how he could help etc,
Said I just wanted to confirm, that as I ordered my Q5 with drive select, but did not request S-line suspension, that it would come with standard suspension.

To this he said ,'Well if it's an S-line Plus, ofcourse it will come with S-line suspension'
Rather perplexed I said 'Well I hope not, as that's not what it says in the brochure, says you need to order it specifically'
After a couple minutes studying the brochure or configurator at his end, he agreed with me.
Welcome Sj1000. I have on order a similar vehicle the s line plus and driver select as one of my options. I too wanted standard suspension and it is definitely a tick box option to have sline suspension so I too have not added it. Ride height as specified by other members is only changeable having damper select at £680 option fitted.

Had email from dealer yesterday as he does every week to confirm still March delivery at the moment. Can't wait......

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Ok,

You will find only 1 in 20 sales people know what they are talking about...
Drives me nuts. My approach is to research the shit out of a car before I go to a dealership - that way within a few mins they know you know more than them and so they won't give these off the cuff answers they usually do that an average punter will swallow.

It's the same in ALL business - never trust a salesmen...
Thanks to the Internet the only sales people I deal with now are car and estate agents - ironic really as they are the worst ones IMO and there isn't an easy way around them in most cases, plus they are dealing with the 2 most expensive purchases people make!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 22 Posts