Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 2nd gen Q5...I think its got a bug with the efficiency mode or may its normal
But I have notice when I put car in efficiency mode it shows on virtual cockpit an E then a number gear I am in,
If i parked the car (still efficiency mode)and return back to it and then drive off the display now shows D then the gear number
However the display still shows efficiency and the mmi shows efficiency mode but it doesn't feel efficient (as the car feel noticeably faster)
The only way I can get it back to showing E is to change setting in mmi then go back into efficiency mode.
Is this normal?

This doesn't happen on our S3

·
Registered
429 Posts
My Mk2 Q5 shows exactly the same displays as yours when using the efficiency mode and, as far as I'm aware, this is correct, as the display shows 'efficiency' and the 'D' shows you are in forward gear.

As a check, when the 'efficiency' mode is showing, if you select reverse, the display will show an 'R'.

Even when I use the efficiency mode, the car accelerates quite fast.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It don't sounded right to me...
If you have left your parked your in efficiency mode switch it over to comfort and switch back efficiency and the "E" will be displayed
When mine display "D" in efficiency mode it drives like its in comfort mode,
When the "E" is displayed its feels slow as it uses a higher gear,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
429 Posts
If you’re still unsure, then I suggest asking your Audi dealer....sorry I can’t help further.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Get somebody in the car with you to take a note of the revs when each gear change happens. Do it in comfort mode , then the same in efficiency mode. That should give you an indication of what mode the car really is in when either D or E is showing. In efficiency mode, the gears will change quicker at lower revs to get to top gear as soon as possible to reduce fuel consumption. Dynamic mode holds onto the gears longer to give quicker acceleration. I found little or no difference in fuel consumption showing in the dash display between efficiency and comfort modes and didn’t really notice any difference in acceleration in either mode until I changed to dynamic. Doesn’t the handbook explain the difference that each mode has on the running of the car ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could someone check for me please ????, I'm not sure if I am being paranoid lol

·
Registered
94 Posts
Mine does exactly the same as described and always has. You can 'force' it back into displaying E by swapping modes and back again. I have no idea if its in Efficiency when showing the D with efficiency under it. It has never really bothered me as I think the difference between Auto mode and Efficiency is marginal. Mostly I only use Auto and occasionally swap to S on the gearbox.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Mine does exactly the same as described and always has. You can 'force' it back into displaying E by swapping modes and back again. I have no idea if its in Efficiency when showing the D with efficiency under it. It has never really bothered me as I think the difference between Auto mode and Efficiency is marginal. Mostly I only use Auto and occasionally swap to S on the gearbox.
Just checked mine today, and it works exactly the same as yours above, so I don't think there is a problem.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Just checked mine today, and it works exactly the same as yours above, so I don't think there is a problem.
Mine too - despite it saying 'D' - I still get the EFFICIENCY in green text, I still get the Eco Tips (like close Sunroof etc.) and the car still cuts all the revs and still moves in and out of READY mode with no revs when I am cruising at speed and don't need any gas.

I guess people in general are more used to seeing D, R or S and they kept it that way, although on both my old Mk1 Q5's it always had 'E' in Efficiency Mode.

Reactions: Dannybear83

·
Banned
323 Posts
Checked mine yesterday taking note each time I parked and restarted, and mine is the same as OP. Normal I would say.

Reactions: rifleman

·
Registered
795 Posts
I suggest the OP calls Audi Customer Service to get the answer, they have improved in providing answers and following up enquiries.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Spoken to them yesterday, The lady said that it shouldn't go back to "D" and should stay in E after an restart,
So it's been booked it for next Tuesday,
In my other Audi's when that I have it efficiency mode the and I am doing over 50mph the car normally coast (engine cuts off) it would display "E" but with no gear number, I never notice this when it's displayed with "D"
Adjustments.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
795 Posts
Spoken to them yesterday, The lady said that it shouldn't go back to "D" and should stay in E after an restart,
In my other Audi's when that I have it efficiency mode the and I am doing over 50mph the car normally coast (engine cuts off) it would display "E" but with no gear number, I never notice this when it's displayed with "D"
View attachment 11140

Now that's very interesting - every one of us on here seems to be sharing the same experience as you whilst in Economy Mode.

We can't all have a fault. Either your workshop will tell you 'this is normal', or Firmware update inbound me thinks?

Reactions: Dannybear83

·
Registered
429 Posts
Now that's very interesting - every one of us on here seems to be sharing the same experience as you whilst in Economy Mode.

We can't all have a fault. Either your workshop will tell you 'this is normal', or Firmware update inbound me thinks?
Yep, I think we'd all be very interested in what your Audi dealer has to say about this, as it appears all our Mk2 Q5's are doing the same.

·
Registered
26 Posts
From head office they said it's normal to act like that and a large number people have complained about this,
I went on a test drive with engineer and he can notice the difference, When it's in E doesn't drop down a gear as quick as if it was in D, He reckon its starts in D to help the engine get warmer on start up

·
Registered
429 Posts
Many thanks for this update, Dannybear83.........looks like we’ll have to live with this ‘design’.

·
Registered
795 Posts
View attachment 11140

I read the manual - it says it will change from E to D - this is normal.

What was the result of your trip to the Audi garage? I bet it still changes from E to D?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah they confirmed it supposed to go back to D, but my still main issue that when it in efficiency my "E" feels way more slower and longer to change gears compared efficiency "D" where it changes gears quicker, the Audi techie noticed this too, he mention might be designed to help with the C02 level

·
Registered
2 Posts
Picked up the Q5 from dealer today after wheel arch recall, brake pedal remedial work done and other queries which were looked into, I was told that whilst model year 2018 had this feature, year 2019 Q5 did not revert back to ' D' drive. Apparently the ' fault' was fixed for 2019.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Picked up the Q5 from dealer today after wheel arch recall, brake pedal remedial work done and other queries which were looked into, I was told that whilst model year 2018 had this feature, year 2019 Q5 did not revert back to ' D' drive. Apparently the ' fault' was fixed for 2019.
Lol well that's a lie.....Mines is an 19plate ????

1 - 20 of 30 Posts