Audi Q5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what's the score with the DPF?

How easily does it clogg up?

Is there anyway of knowing it's getting full?

How often and how far do you have to go to clear it?

Anyone had any problems?

·
Super Moderator
1,044 Posts
So what's the score with the DPF?

How easily does it clogg up?

Is there anyway of knowing it's getting full?

How often and how far do you have to go to clear it?

Anyone had any problems?
DPF is diesel partical filter,the car warns you when it needs regenerating(this normally means driving in sport mode or above 40mph for 10 mins).it heats the exhaust and burns off the carbon.have go tit on my 2.0tdi and have done it 3 times in 38kmiles.If you do a lot of town driving it may come on more.No problems at all

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi people,

After these years have you had any problems (if any how often) with the DPF? Does driving over 40mph for 10 mins clear the DPF? I dont mind doing that once a week. I will only be doing typical city runs during the week and odd motorway trips maybe once or twice a month. I know petrol would have been a better choice for me, but went down theTDi route for my order partly due to the fact that noone i knew at the time (not even the salesman) mentioned this issue. Bit too late for a change and dont really want to wait for another 3 months with an amended order...

thnx

·
Registered
578 Posts
A 10 mile steady run at 50 mph should clear it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks Kramer.. I assume that it is 10 miles after the engine has warmed up? What is the optimum normal working temperature for these engines? What temperature should i be looking out for before I can say that the engine is warmed up from cold?

·
Registered
249 Posts
90 degrees

·
Registered
578 Posts
Warm the engine up to 90 and then run at low revs at around 50-60mph until the light goes out, trouble is it could be a 10 mile trip or 30 miles depending on how clogged up it is and whether you can keep the car at a stable 2500rpm. I've also heard that 3rd gear is best and take it up to 4,000 rpm for 10 minutes - perhaps try both.

The trouble is if the light does come on your car could be in "limp" mode within 20 miles and then it has to go back to Audi to be cleared and reset, if you don't it will blow the DPF and could potentially cause issues with the engine (if you kept driving it in start/stop conditions). You could clear the filter on a Sunday but with school/work runs and traffic it could easily be back on by Monday (in my experience).

DPF is a real issue, I'm sure Audi have made the cars less sensitive since I had mine in 06 however I would advise you go for the 2.0T Petrol and take the production delay now rather than have all the hastle. Mine was an absolute nightmare, I was driving it 50 miles a day and it still kept coming on! I have the diesel Q5 but I now work much further away and it gets 6 x 50 mile trips a week and I've never seen the DPF light come on.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Our 3.0TDI has now done 26,000 km and we have never had the DPF light come on. The car is used primarily in town and may only get a longer freeway run once a month or so.

On my mother's Cruze (Holden/Chevy/Opel/Vauxhall??) with the 2.0 TDI engine I have seen the DPF light come on. I was driving the car in town when it came on from cold. I continued to drive the car and the fuel consumption gauge indicated very high fuel consumption. It stayed this way for around 10 or 15 minutes, the DPF went off, fuel consumption went back to normal and all was good. This must have been the car going through a self cleaning cycle.

Unless your DPF light is not going off or it is coming on frequently, I'd say you don't have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
279 Posts
My diesel 170 has done 20k miles, mostly local stuff and this light has never come on?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks for the tips and info folks. Mixed opinions I see. I will try Kamer's suggestion of high revs, as it seems to be the solution if this gets problematic.

CrustlyNoodle/nsm3, what sort of annual mileages do you do...? I spoke to the dealer and their workshop people say that they never had a Q5 come in with a DPF issue over the last 3 yrs..That is good news...Having said that, most Q5 users might be doing long distances. I currently do a 30 -50 mile round trip once a month. So will see how it goes..

PS: this forum is great!!

thnx all

·
Registered
240 Posts
pirate, we're averaging 10k miles (16k km) per year. Most trips are in heavy city traffic with only the occasional burst at higher speeds (say once per month).

·
Registered
578 Posts
Sounds like Audi have sorted this out since 06, stick with the diesel

·
Registered
279 Posts
I agree - not an issue - mine does 11k miles PA.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts