Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the usp of the double glazing on the my15 models?
Sound/thermal insulation,security,weight saving,gimmic or what?
The brochure says windscreen and side windows what about the rear window?
Any ideas?at least its included as standard on all v6 models!

·
Banned
27 Posts
USP - here's an extract from Audi's Q7 brochure:
'Double glazing - windscreen and side windows in 2-layer laminated safety glass, connected to each other by a plastic film. Improves insulation against outside noise and adds break-in protection'.

As for the rear window on the Q5 V6s, it is also double glazed - the SE description is not definitive but option VW6 is clearer: 'Double-glazed side and rear windows with privacy glass. Only available on 6-cylinder engines.'

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Must add lots of weight, otherwise why only 6 cylinders
I must admit I had the 'why' thought too, I'm aware that the emergency services are not so keen on laminate side windows as they are much harder to break through and remove than good ol' toughened glass. Probably just a curious local market decision.

·
Banned
489 Posts
Laminated glass is a type of safety glass that holds together when shattered. In the event of breaking, it is held in place by an interlayer, typically of polyvinyl butyral (PVB), between its two or more layers of glass. The interlayer keeps the layers of glass bonded even when broken, and its high strength prevents the glass from breaking up into large sharp pieces. This produces a characteristic "spider web" cracking pattern when the impact is not enough to completely pierce the glass. Insulated glazing (IG), more commonly known as double glazing (or double-pane, and increasingly triple glazing/pane) are double or triple glass window panes separated by an air or other gas filled space to reduce heat transfer across a part of the building envelope......................(Wikipedia)................................ So Audi, the correct term is 'laminated glass' rather than 'double-glazing'!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Marketing spin, we love it don't we?

·
Registered
33 Posts
USP - here's an extract from Audi's Q7 brochure:
'Double glazing - windscreen and side windows in 2-layer laminated safety glass, connected to each other by a plastic film. Improves insulation against outside noise and adds break-in protection'.

As for the rear window on the Q5 V6s, it is also double glazed - the SE description is not definitive but option VW6 is clearer: 'Double-glazed side and rear windows with privacy glass. Only available on 6-cylinder engines.'
I have vw6 option and the front windows are proper double glazing (or laminated) with 2 panes of glass, but the rears appear to be single, as for the boot, well there's no way of telling. My q7 had the 2 panes front and back. Are audi miss selling this as I'd believe I only have laminated glass to the front side windows?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
My MY15 SQ5 (64 plate) has proper double glazing on front windows.... Not a plastic film as some users has stated in these forums....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
And how would you define 'proper' in this instance? I have an MY2015 car too...looks like a film to me,,,,

·
Registered
86 Posts
And how would you define 'proper' in this instance? I have an MY2015 car too...looks like a film to me,,,,
John if put your front window down slightly you will notice on the top edge that it has to pieces of glass stuck together. I was also under the impression that it was a film but it turns out its not. My Range Rover had exactly the same glass and that has double glazing front and rear.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I noticed it today also,its not double glazing as you would get in your house with a gap between but it is 2 similar thicknesses of glass bonded together.

·
Registered
124 Posts
LOL what I mean by 'proper' is that it looks like 2 pieces of glass glued together as opposed to a piece of glass and thin film.....

Not exactly "double glazing" such as house windows with an air gap but surely not a piece of glass and film...

Not sure why it's not the same for rear windows.... Maybe a weight thing?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Its just laminated glass - the same as we have in the front windscreen, two layers of glass with a plastic film in the middle.....Double glazing....Marketing BS

They won't be cheap will they?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Its just laminated glass - the same as we have in the front windscreen, two layers of glass with a plastic film in the middle.....Double glazing....Marketing BS

They won't be cheap will they?
Ha true, but I can forgive a technicality at least there are 2 bits of glass! my issue is firmly with the rears. They are sold as double glazing / laminated but they clearly aren't.

The price is less of an issue over availability. It was the best part of a month for auto glass to get a replacement laminated side window for my q7.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts