Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone think of a solution or a device that I can hook onto the rear luggage tie down points and then onto somewhere higher at the rear to prevent my dog escaping until I'm ready for him ( 10 month old mental lab )
I've just picked up the Q5 and did have a rangie, the lower section of the split door on the rangie kept him in but know he's out like a shot when I open the tailgate
I'm sure I'll train him soon enough but I dont want him to come to any harm in the meantime
I've tried one of the A4 avant loadspace mesh elastic covers but its too big
any idea's ?
Thanks

·
Banned
842 Posts
Hi Motoberg,

We have a 14 month old GSD and he's the same.

Just a thought - do you have an electric tailgate? If so you can stop the tailgate opening by pressing the boot release button while its opening, I do this with Max and then use this an opportunity to pull out our reversible mat so he can't scuff the bumper and also get hold of his lead. I also use it as training so when he calms down and waits I open the boot and reward him for doing so.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I had a similar issue with my 2 Huskies, they are now trained not to jump out but before this I made a clip to go around the headrest/dog guard, I'd then clip their lead onto this so that they couldn't bolt when I opened the door.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Unfortunately, the Audi "load mesh" which does a great job of keeping the dog out of the "car", only fixes in the 2 positions behind the seats - either rear seats or front seats, if you have the rear seats dropped - an extra set of roof fixings at the tailgate would be a good idea?

We use a short length of chain threaded through the floor tie down point nearest the seat (either side works). Make the dog wear a travelling harness and clip the chain to this - took a little bit of testing to make sure he couldn't reach the painted bumper section, before we get the ramp in place, but 2 years on and he just sits there now waiting to be led out.

On the first car he scrabbled around on the bumper, first time out but somehow didn't scratch through the laquer, allowing me to polish out the marks :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I'm trying to emulate the lower half of the split range rover boot
I may have to add securing points half way up the rear opening
I'll have to get the thinking cap on!

·
Registered
10 Posts
We got a bumper protector from boot-buddy, it's just thick(ish) rubber that you hang over the bumper. If you look on the website they also do custom made boot liners in a hard material. Pretty sure you could get them to make it so that it went all the way round and had the opening Velcro'd on. Hope this makes some sense, (I'd does in my head!!)
Good luck, I've got 2 retrievers and the youngest gets way too excited when we get to the beach. Grr.
Nicky

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the interim solution, which worked a treat this morning was to wrap his spare lead round to two metal supports on the head restraints and clip him in, it had to go round a couple of time to get the length right.
Simple is best!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts