Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Q5 45 TFSI Quattro Vorsprung
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure there are some good dealer salesmen out there but I was not too impressed by my ‘senior salesman” (could argue he eventually got the sale so not that bad).
Just didnt observe or ask questions that would have hooked me in!
Didnt start well - enquired online and got a call. Asked if I could come in over weekend to view car. Following day I confirmed `I could and had arranged my weekend so I could come in on the Sunday. ‘Sorry we are closed Sundays all Sytner dealerships closed Sundays ( not true) can you come in another day” . Eventually with reluctance agreed to meet me-and was late. Reminded me later twice he had come in specially so I assumed I was meant to feel guilty.
if only he had asked some open ended questions he would have hooked me so much earlier!
e.g.
What made you think of looking at an Audi-would have replied “owned most other major brands in the past but not an Audi”
What features would you be interested in? ‘ answer High spec looking for comfort and low mileage user
Any particular colour ? ‘white only -had a white car last 30 years ago
He could easily have confirmed the car I was enquiring about was only one of two on sale in the Uk of the same age and the other was £3 more with higher mileage.
Lugged the golf clubs into the back and knew about bench seat adjustment and other features of car which should have told him I had done my homework -was a keen golfer where bootvsize was critical no, interest at all. When challenged on one or two issues instead of making it clear he did not know but would find out made up bull…. t replies that had no validity
He managed to down sell some of the cars features ‘you only need CarPlay forget the rest, don’t use Lane assist it’s too aggressive.
He did border on aggressiveness when things weren’t going too well and at that point I was on the verge of walking.
Dont get me wrong he was not outright rude but I just wonder why Audi don’t. ensure these guys have developed interpersonal skills. It would not take much of an investment to enable their sales representatives to build great relationships combined with a good product to have a significant inpact on sales volumes. Perhaps most other manufacturers are the same I guess.
Maybe I am missing something…or am just a bemoaning old man.

·
Premium Member
Q5 55 tfsi e Competition, all boxes ticked, Navarra Blue
324 Posts
Sadly, in all sales situations you get good and bad salespeople. I have found by experience that most of the training is orientated towards the product and closing the deal. I have learnt over many years that when you are purchasing a car, do your homework, ignore the sales person but use him/her to get the maximum discount on the new car or trade in for the old car.

·
Registered
2021 Q5 45 TFSI Quattro Vorsprung
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very true. I’m a bit rusty on car purchasing and retired many years from leading sales teams but astonished at the lack of salesman basic selling skills.
Having done the homework on the vehicle it was interesting that the p/ex was reasonable compared to We buy any car and Carwow . I was pleased to get 60 per cent of the original value of my car after 6 years due to an inflated second hand car market. Of course the same inflation plays through to the used car being purchased.Is it over priced? Probably. But I guess you can do no more than compare prevailing selling prices across Autotrader/Audi approved used site.
Is it a good time to change up car? Not sure-when is the right time? Just have to be satisfied when decision made. I did push on pricing until I had a final “no more” ..then of course negotiated a full rank of fuel to secure. Interestingly the p/ex was shown on the order form reduced by £1500 and a stated ‘over allowance” of £1500 to bring the numbers back to what was agreed. For further reference do you know if the ‘over allowance“ is as a result of available discount in the vehicle being sold …or a slush fund at Audi or local dealer levels to secure deal?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts